15 Years Ago Tonight

Devil Dan 56

I was 15. As a Devils fan from New York, it was an amazing moment considering the unending crap I received from all the Ranger fans the year before. I was the only Devils fan in my entire school at the time, so the Rags fans were all over me, shoving the paper in my face when they won the cup 2 weeks after beating us. That 95 team wasn't supposed to get past Neely and the Bruins, was supposed to be crushed by the super offense of the Pens, and couldn't possibly handle the Legion of Doom. The Wings were gonna destroy 'em easy.

This was basically my experience as well except I was 1 year younger. Hockey was always big with my dad so I was around it as a kid but I really started taking to the sport in 93 and 94. By the time that 95 season rolled around I was a fanatic. Losing the ECF in 94 cemented it for me. I didn't care that I was from NY. The Devils were my team.

The one thing I remember most about that entire season is just how innocent it all was. I remember being so excited waiting for hockey to return and never really cared to know why the lock out was taking place. I just wanted them to play and just waited and waited. As we all know the season finally got going but things didn't look too promising at one time. But once the playoffs started the team just flat out dominated. Dave Maloney's prediction after game 2 in Boston on FOX (he basically said they would win the Cup) always stands out to me. I told everyone who would care to listen that if NJ beat Philly they were going all the way. Never envisioned a sweep though. Pretty remarkable considering they were given no chance.

Hot summer nights and clutch plays galore. That really was a great moment in time.

Edited by Sickman

I was actually at that game with my dad since we had season tickets (we have been STH for a few years before that) and was great. I was in section 101, row 17, and we had seats 7 and 8, so we were right behind Marty when they won. Still ranks as one of the best days of my life.

Let's see...

I was 12 years old (about to turn 13). Watched the game with a girl who I liked at the time and her family. Was totally cool and collected until they showed Mike Peluso crying on the bench, then it hit me. Easily my favorite (and most well-remembered) Cup of the three. I don't think I went to any games that year (had gone to my first game two years before, in 1993), but we went to the Parking Lot Parade. I still have at least two or three of the Championship Roster posters they gave out. I wrote "NASHVILLE? NEVER!" on the back of one of them and got tons of high-fives. This was before Chris Terreri stole my thunder with his sign. :lol:

cuteness -- even if hockey should never be played in June - lockout/strike or not!

The Devils are undefeated in summer.

Peluso crying.

Only time I've seen a certain friend touch alcohol (had connections, snuck a bottle of champagne that was heading to the lockeroom)

Parking lot till 6am

tried to rollerblade for the first (and only) time and didn't fall (although needed to use a parked car to stop)

reading the paper (the record with the SWEEP headline) at the wick (might have been meadowlands) while getting breakfast.

all in all, not a bad night/morning

Let's see...

I was 12 years old (about to turn 13). Watched the game with a girl who I liked at the time and her family. Was totally cool and collected until they showed Mike Peluso crying on the bench, then it hit me. Easily my favorite (and most well-remembered) Cup of the three. I don't think I went to any games that year (had gone to my first game two years before, in 1993), but we went to the Parking Lot Parade. I still have at least two or three of the Championship Roster posters they gave out. I wrote "NASHVILLE? NEVER!" on the back of one of them and got tons of high-fives. This was before Chris Terreri stole my thunder with his sign. :lol:

Does ANYONE have a pic of Terreri with his sign??

I know I used to have one, and I can't for the life of me find it. I'm afraid it's on a dead harddrive or in an old scrap book or something.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

It was ballsweat hummid that night, kinda like how it was last night, my air conditioner in my sh!tty apartment was broken, my glasses were fogging up and the screen on my old TV would start to sweat, the same TV I watched my first devils game on in 1982. I didn't give a hoot, the devils had the cup.

Was there with my then 10 year old son,we didn't miss a game back then...was a night to always remember.

Offered 500 for my tickets...turned it down

The place went crazy,loud and the building shook

The Hanson Brothers on top of a bus outside screaming their heads off

I still have all my unused tickets in sheet form put away

95 was the best,and being there..unforgetable

Edited by hit the post

Watched the team since its inception.

Was 29 at the time and stuck in Tampa Bay due to my new job's training was held there. Sat with a fraternity brother in front of a 21" screen TV. When Brylin scored it started the waterworks for me just like Mikey P. This is just one of the reasons why the only jersey I have has Sarge's name on it. Hell, I'm tearing up now remembering it all.

I know i have a newspaper, either the Star Ledger or Daily Record, that has a pic of Terreri with that sign. I have pics from the parade, but i gave up taking them after a few as there was too much jumping, moving around and fun to keep devoting time to pics lol.

That must be where I have it from. Guess I'm gonna have to dig through some closets.

One of the best times of my life that night crying my eyes out there watching Peluso losing it on the bench along with Daneyko. It was so loud and crazy you could not hear yourself think. Plus I had a great view of the ice, celebration and ceremony sitiing in the corner down low in the 3rd row. Good times and great momories....

First post here, but ive been a devils fan oddly enough since 94 (like a decent amount of people here it seems). Id always wanted to root for the devils, but we didnt get sportschannel until the end of 94, so thats when i could really start to watch them. Friends of my dads had season tickets, and thought they had lost their playoff tickets so they were issued another set. They then found the originals and my dad was able to purchase the extra set off them. We paid 100 a ticket, and i still remember on the way into the stadium for game 4 someone offered us 600 dollars a peice for our tickets. My dad turned to me and asked me if i wanted to take the money and said i could keep the money for my ticket if we sold them (600 dollars is a ton to a 15 year old kid!) but i said no, and they went on to win the cup. Greatest thing ive ever seen, and to think i almost missed it.

Just wanted to share.... LETS GO DEVILS!

Also amazing how humongous Brodeur's blocker looks compared to today's.

My dad managed to score 2 tickets from a friend... maybe 5-10 rows back from the glass. My mom managed to get a single ticket from a friend too, sitting right behind Rolston's family. (At this point my dad split season tickets with another family of 6... we had 6 seats and they got that game.) Before the game we went to "Bazookas" (Hooters clone in Seacaucus), and the Red Wings were loading onto their buses from the hotel in that strip mall. My mom tried to take a photo of me with Scotty Bowman. Once he saw my Devils jersey he flat out refused.

She helped me make an awesome fake cup, my dad had a broom. The next morning we get a call from my uncle telling us to pick up the NY Times... there's me screaming holding up the fake cup and my dad waving the broom (right below an article about the Nashville scare...) Was a pretty friggen' awesome experience. Bringing back some great memories.

I spent the postgame at Bazookas with my family. In retrospect, it's hilarious considering I was a month shy of 13 and my little brother was 6 at the time.

That means ... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Well, you're half-right. Birthday indeed. Happy? Actually it was...I handled 40 a lot better than I thought I would.

These posts are all making me feel so old...it seems like almost everyone posting was 14 or younger in '95. I was already 25. I guess the good side of that was that I got to see the slow but steady rise to respectability and, eventually, championship glory. The downside of that...some of that was pretty painful to watch. I'm just glad I got to see John MacLean play in his prime...and saddened that it was cut short with that torn ACL.

Well, you're half-right. Birthday indeed. Happy? Actually it was...I handled 40 a lot better than I thought I would.

These posts are all making me feel so old...it seems like almost everyone posting was 14 or younger in '95. I was already 25. I guess the good side of that was that I got to see the slow but steady rise to respectability and, eventually, championship glory. The downside of that...some of that was pretty painful to watch. I'm just glad I got to see John MacLean play in his prime...and saddened that it was cut short with that torn ACL.

Be happy about the fact that you were 25. At 15, I didn't appreciate just how special it was. I knew it was amazing. It was the first time any team I liked had won a championship. (Yanks would win the next year, and I'm still waiting for the Jets) I just didn't realize quite what it meant to the Devils.

But I do remember it being nearly a given that they were moving to Nashville. That Cup may be what kept them here.

I was browsing through some old high school stuff and found the old skool Devils Den from the 96 season tha tchamps gear and models with bad hair do's. I can't believe it has been 15 years already damn. I remember being so pumped after each win, whew!

Re: Nashville NO WAY sign.

There's a great pic of Terreri holding it up on page 47 of the Star Ledger Devils 25th book.

Thank you. I've been meaning to pick that book up for awhile.

On an unrelated note, somehow I missed him earlier, but I must say that toasterleavins is my favorite name for a new poster in a long time. :lol: