Jagr Signs 1 Year Deal With Devils

Rogan The Goat

"We like our team right now," Lamoriello said. "Certainly our goaltending is improved. Our defence is improved because of the experience of the young guys and up front we are going to be a four-line team. We have power-play people and penalty killers. This will be one of the bigger teams we've had in size."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=428259

Part of my thinking (wishful I know) is Olesz earning a starting spot and bumping Gionta to the press box. I could be wrong but hasn't triumph stated he doesn't think NJ will be a cap team? They seem to really be pushing towards the limit now.

I don't think they'll be a cap team, no.  I think it's Henrique and that's it, and there could even be a subtraction on defense.

I don't think they'll be a cap team, no.  I think it's Henrique and that's it, and there could even be a subtraction on defense.

I think they are prepared for it.   Doesn't mean they will, but signing the old guys to performance bonus deals shows a willingness to exceed the cap.   You know Jagr's getting that $2M unless his leg falls off.

I think they are prepared for it.   Doesn't mean they will, but signing the old guys to performance bonus deals shows a willingness to exceed the cap.   You know Jagr's getting that $2M unless his leg falls off.

What?  No.  It shows a willingness to be frugal, to save money in case these guys fall apart right away.  I mean, if you're Jagr and you're presented with this deal or a deal for $3.3M without bonuses, say, obviously you sign this one.  But I don't see what would indicate NJ being a cap team, they have 14 guys on one-ways at forward, 7 D who played here last year, and the reserve list is nearly jammed up.

What?  No.  It shows a willingness to be frugal, to save money in case these guys fall apart right away.  I mean, if you're Jagr and you're presented with this deal or a deal for $3.3M without bonuses, say, obviously you sign this one.  But I don't see what would indicate NJ being a cap team, they have 14 guys on one-ways at forward, 7 D who played here last year, and the reserve list is nearly jammed up.

Obviously the only scenario where they go up against it or over (using the performance bonuses) is a trade before/relatively early in the season.   Depending on what Henrique signs for, they're relatively close.   $62M or so.   So if they made a big move and added salary, they'd have some cushion.   There's no big savings coming on a trade involving D and they're not coming close to dollar for dollar unless someone wants Greene.   The rest of the big salary guys are untouchable because no one's taking on their salary.

No Kovalchuk brah. Broke brah.

Admittedly, I see this as an "if" team that could have a nice upside, but there's definitely a chance this implodes (as long as Schneider is Schneider, that seems like a longshot); that being said, I think Lou did as good a job as could be expected after having lost Kovy.  He's done a nice job with these one-year deals too...if this team does crash-and-burn, there's pieces that can be moved...even Salvador's contract (2 years remaining) might not seem so bad to a contending team desperate for help on defense, if Sal's having a decent year. 

But yeah, I expect the critics to go with the potential doomsday scenario and run with it.  All I've got to say about that is, regardless of the Devils' short-term performance (which I do believe is going to better than the "experts" will predict...I think they'll be decent and in playoff contention), I am glad the Devils don't have Parise and/or Kovy under lifetime contracts.  I never thought those "keep my guy at any cost" deals made much sense.  Want to sign Schneider to an 8-year deal after next season, I can get on board with that...all long-term deals are a risk, but anything 10 years and over just seems ridiculous and foolhardy to me.  

And Kovy and everything about him has been beaten to death, but all I'll say about him is that, based on the balance of his Devils' career, I don't see why his value to the Devils is being blown through the roof.  2011-2012 was very good, but damn if he didn't have to play a lot of minutes to get his points.  And though he did improve his overall game, there were plenty of brainfarts on prominent display, right up until the very end. 

Not saying he wasn't a good player, but I am saying he isn't really worthy of the "be-all, end-all" label that too many critics (most of whom probably don't watch the Devils more than a handful of times a year) seem so willing to bestow unto him.  It seems like too many observers see the name "Kovalchuk" and immediately think the Devils can't possibly have any success without him.  I couldn't disagree more.      

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

Modell's near me has horrible fake iron on devils jerseys for $280+. Mind boggling

Which modells is that? Modells have never ever sold authentics and most devils authentics come only blank and are indo edges.

Those are probably replicas with the bad ironed-on and somewhat stitched customization for $150-180 like they always do. I don't think any modells have ever sold a hockey jersey for more than $200

In 2007 I was in Colorado at the time and came home to see my family over Christmas and drove up to Modells on Rt 1 in North Brunswick for a Devils jersey. I ended up just grabbing a Marty off the shelf and going home since I was in a hurry/ I basically just saw the 30 on the sleeves and grabbed one.  By the time I realized how awful the lettering and everything was it was too late.  The numbers were glued and crooked, the wrong material. I think I wore the thing once.  What a waste of $160ish.  Don't waste your cash on Modell's customized jerseys. That being said I will buy some player t's there.  After Kovalchuk and Clarkson left I am without a current Devils tee.

And back to the thread....

I like this signing.  I think it's a good value and like many others have said, if the Devils are sellers come deadline time they can probably dump off Jagr for a pick to someone and focus on next years FA pool which looks to be pretty healthy.

Edited by gardenstatepkwy

In 2007 I was in Colorado at the time and came home to see my family over Christmas and drove up to Modells on Rt 1 in North Brunswick for a Devils jersey. I ended up just grabbing a Marty off the shelf and going home since I was in a hurry/ I basically just saw the 30 on the sleeves and grabbed one.  By the time I realized how awful the lettering and everything was it was too late.  The numbers were glued and crooked, the wrong material. I think I wore the thing once.  What a waste of $160ish.  Don't waste your cash on Modell's customized jerseys. That being said I will buy some player t's there.  After Kovalchuk and Clarkson left I am without a current Devils tee.

And back to the thread....

I like this signing.  I think it's a good value and like many others have said, if the Devils are sellers come deadline time they can probably dump off Jagr for a pick to someone and focus on next years FA pool which looks to be pretty healthy.

Yeah the factory-customization is def crap and is a must-avoid.

Also when I was at the Meigray warehouse sale, they had a whole rack of practice-worn Devils jerseys, as well as training camp and pre-season worn authentic Devils jerseys.  Plus they had a whole rack of game-used Devils sticks.  The practice jerseys and the sticks were $50 each and the training camp and pre-season jerseys were $75 each.

Yup, this is where the promised but never-happened Equipment Sale items ended up.

"If anyone can revive Jagr, it's Elias" What? I think Elias and Jagr could work, but Jagr doesn't need Elias' help for a revival. He has been a fantastic player for the past two seasons in the NHL. The guy has 89 points in his last 118 regular season games at the age of 39 and 40. That is historically insane.

I think Jagr could help Elias as much as Elias could help Jagr.

If you think Jagr is the same player he was 15 years ago then maybe you are correct.  But he is not, and has not been the same player since getting back from Russia.  He is two or three strides behind the play because he can't keep up.   Over an 80 game season, he is a 20 goal player on a competitive team. 

Don't read too much about his 30+ games in Dallas, because those type of stats (one good player on a crappy team) doesn't translate to the dynamics of a good team.    Remember, just a few weeks ago Jagr wound up setting a single-season playoff record in terms of goal scoring ineptititude for taking the most shots – 58 – without a goal this year.

I know Bergeron could not get him to produce on Boston's #2 line, but Elias could get him to 25, maybe even 30 potential goals this year, based on his hockey smarts alone.

If you think Jagr is the same player he was 15 years ago then maybe you are correct.  But he is not, and has not been the same player since getting back from Russia.  He is two or three strides behind the play because he can't keep up.   Over an 80 game season, he is a 20 goal player on a competitive team.

Haha, it's like you don't read at all.  DR33 cited his stats since coming back from Russia.  If you want to throw in the playoffs, Jagr has 107 points in 150 games since returning to the NHL.  Pretty good for being 2 or 3 strides behind the play. NJ's current players who have a better career PPG:  Patrik Elias.  That's it.

Don't read too much about his 30+ games in Dallas, because those type of stats (one good player on a crappy team) doesn't translate to the dynamics of a good team.

Since when are the Devils a good team?  Jagr will play the same role here that he did there.  In addition, I assume that Jamie Benn and Loui Eriksson are chopped liver.

Remember, just a few weeks ago Jagr wound up setting a single-season playoff record in terms of goal scoring ineptititude for taking the most shots – 58 – without a goal this year.

Boy, I'd hate to have a guy who sets a record like that.  A guy who gets 58 shots in a single playoff and has a super long history of being a great goal scorer.

I know Bergeron could not get him to produce on Boston's #2 line, but Elias could get him to 25, maybe even 30 potential goals this year, based on his hockey smarts alone.

I'm not sure Elias and Jagr will play together besides on the power play, and weren't you the guy who said that they had no chemistry at the Olympics?

"If you asked me 10 years ago, I'd probably give you a different answer than now," Elias said. "It still is [a thrill], but for me it's probably not as much as it might be for some younger guys. Hats off to him for what he's accomplished and everything, but I think position-wise and what I've accomplished with the team, it's a matter of being good within the system of the team ... It's to try to make the most out of it and make sure it works individually and for the team."

NHL.com Article

In case you haven't visited every Modell's Sporting Goods store in the universe, the Modell's in Monmouth mall when the "new" reebok jerseys were released was selling Zach Parise iron-on jerseys for 275, I believe.

The edges came out in 2007 with the vector and the word marks came out in 2011, so there has been some time. Plus the authentics blank retail for $299 so I doubt modells have them for 275 but more like 175 and those would be the replicas.

And yes I have visited that store before.

And now, just so I understand this, that would be considered an undesirable jersey, because it's a nameplate instead of individually stitched letters?

I'm not being sarcastic, I'm genuinely curious.

Devils do use nameplates but the name plate material should be made out of air-knit like the rest of the jersey and not twill like the one in that picture.

Plus the font they used is incorrect and the spacing on the name is way off. Looks like customization that Hockey Haus in bound brook does.

Just buy a cheap blank and send to EPS and you will get it back in about 8 weeks with the correct font, spacing and materials.

I already said they were replicas. You fight about the strangest things. Whatever you say dude, agree to disagree

And I am saying no replica has ever been for sale at Modells for $275.

Plus I find it funny that you say I fight about the strangest things.  Talk about the pot calling the kettle black

I'm not saying youre always geting into it on the boards, this is just an odd topic to take so personally.

I'm saying I saw one, just like coors. Can we talk about Jagr now?

Alright then yes I guess like you said we agree to disagree.

As for Jagr I am actually pretty excited to see what he can do with the Devils.  I still think this is a playoff team we have here.