Rogert Ebert's article on Bill O'Rielly

Roger Ebert wrote a well researched article on Bill O'Rielly. He examines his tactics as a propagandist. I'd really encourage conservatives to read the article and give it a chance.

Am I reading what I want to hear or is this accurate? Any holes you can point out in this?

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2009/06/th..._procedure.html

What were those "same techniques?" The Indiana team quoted an earlier study?

The seven propaganda devices include:

* Name calling -- giving something a bad label to make the audience reject it without examining the evidence;

* Glittering generalities -- the opposite of name calling;

* Card stacking -- the selective use of facts and half-truths;

* Bandwagon -- appeals to the desire, common to most of us, to follow the crowd;

* Plain folks -- an attempt to convince an audience that they, and their ideas, are "of the people";

* Transfer -- carries over the authority, sanction and prestige of something we respect or dispute to something the speaker would want us to accept; and

* Testimonials -- involving a respected (or disrespected) person endorsing or rejecting an idea or person.

Why bother?

Roger Ebert is a committed leftist friggin' LOON

He's had some loony ideas.........to bored to bother searching...........

Your thoughts on Bill O'Reilly?

Make sure to be "Fair and Balanced"

Edited by Super 17

Roger Ebert wrote a well researched article on Bill O'Rielly. He examines his tactics as a propagandist. I'd really encourage conservatives to read the article and give it a chance.

Am I reading what I want to hear or is this accurate? Any holes you can point out in this?

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2009/06/th..._procedure.html

Could be an article on Keith O. I HATE both of them.

Why bother?

Roger Ebert is a committed leftist friggin' LOON

Ironic.

Part of the article is a study about anti-semetic propaganda in the 30's and how it was pushed across...and you just gave a perfect example.

"Name calling -- giving something a bad label to make the audience reject it without examining the evidence;

Brain washed. The word "objectivity" doesn't exist for you.

Edited by oofrostonoo

Ironic.

Part of the article is a study about anti-semetic propaganda in the 30's and how it was pushed across...and you just gave a perfect example.

"Name calling -- giving something a bad label to make the audience reject it without examining the evidence;

Brain washed. The word "objectivity" doesn't exist for you.

I got around to finally read it..............what a borefest, full of old bad attempts to try and marginalize the most influential cable guy out there.

Ebert is a loon. That's not name calling, it's fact.

I got around to finally read it..............what a borefest, full of old bad attempts to try and marginalize the most influential cable guy out there.

Ebert is a loon. That's not name calling, it's fact.

The article didn't make fun of any of his political stances. Where were the old & bad attempts? Can you name anything specifically that was inaccurate or biased in the article? I'm having a tough time. He cited historical facts, studies, and connected them very well.

"O'Reilly is a sociopathic bully, while Olbermann is just an opinionated partisan. When was the last time Olbermann screamed at somebody to SHUT UP?

The issue at hand isn't so much about their respective points of view as how they go about expressing them."

Edited by oofrostonoo

I am not going to sit here and say I have any love for Bill... he does make some interesting points sometimes but he needs to start toning his bias down when it comes to certain things.

There is a difference between opinion and propaganda. Its one thing to say something like "I believe late term abortion is wrong and it should be stopped" it is quite another to call out a particular person on national news and say "Late term abortions are wrong and this guy here Dr. Tiller who resides in this state and practices at this clinic is an evil person". Whether Bill likes it or not he has a responsibility to make sure his commentary does not put others at risk.

So the question that needs to be asked is this... if Bill never ever mentioned Tiller's name and just stuck to the opinion of "I think late term abortions are wrong" would Tiller still be alive? I personally think he would but again thats just speculation.

Did you read the article? I think maybe a few things could apply to both but the bulk is really spot on with Bill O. Examples, research...its all there.

Yeah I did. Bill O and Keith O are interchangeble piles of crap on either side of the fence.

Yeah I did. Bill O and Keith O are interchangeble piles of crap on either side of the fence.

Disagree. They both represent the same thing on either side of the political spectrum but thier broadcasting style and technique are completly different. I don't think much of the article fits with Olbermann as it does Bill.

Disagree. They both represent the same thing on either side of the political spectrum but thier broadcasting style and technique are completly different. I don't think much of the article fits with Olbermann as it does Bill.

Olbermann is a vitriolic hit man for the left.

O'Reilly is an equal opportunity hit man, going after both sides.

And Tiller was on trial, that is another reason it was news.

Have you forgotten the infamous assassination rant re Hillary? Keith O stands for O bama O nly.

Have you forgotten the infamous assassination rant re Hillary? Keith O stands for O bama O nly.

Haven't seen it but if you've seen one of Olbermann's ranting lectures you've seen them all. The article discuses 30's anti-semetic propaganda studies about Propaganda and how Bills techniques are identical.

Could be an article on Keith O. I HATE both of them.

Keith O is passionate, but at least he provides facts to back it up. O'Reilly basically changes the subject and moves away from reality to inflame a subject to an illogical extreme.

You obviously don't watch Countdown.

Keith O is passionate, but at least he provides facts to back it up. O'Reilly basically changes the subject and moves away from reality to inflame a subject to an illogical extreme.

You obviously don't watch Countdown.

After the rant, I don't watch O lberman.

After the rant, I don't watch O lberman.

Which rant specifically? The one where he was talking about Hillary taking the primaries into the "mud".

Hillary and Obama's positions were nearly identical and if she was president now I'm sure things would be going about the same. So either he's sexist, has a grudge against Hil, or genuinely thought she was crossing the line. I'm not exactly familiar with what he said in this case.

Edited by oofrostonoo

The rant about her wanting Obama assassinated. It was after her interview with the Sioux Falls, SD newspaper the Argus Leader and the pressure on her to drop out. She mentioned how other primaries went the distance, like Bobby Kennedy's.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.