GDT: Kings @ Devils 7pm

Scottie2Hottie

I'm not dismissing the advanced stats, I'm sure they give a very good indication, in general. However, I don't understand how anyone can suggest that the skill of the shooter doesn't matter. To me that's just absurd, no matter how many stats and charts you have to back it up.

No-one is arguing this. At least not here, from what I've seen. Unskilled shooters don't tend to get many shots. Hence, they don't get many quality scoring chances. They go hand in hand. 

well my advanced stats tell me it's all freaking Gionta's fault.  He's bad joojoo no matter how hard he works.  We need to start taking the joojoo into account here man! 

Maybe Patty is too negative...  I LOVE him.... he's earned hit right to let fly the pot shots...

but if you cherry pick his comments and take that as a the whole picture (I'm sure it's not)  he seems sort of like the worst of Holik  and Mogilny all in one grumpy-assed happy dad package  :P

But seriously -- same old Devils - you think you're turning a corner and then you think you've taken 2 steps back.  I sort of feel like I'd feel that way no matter where they were in the standings.  It's a bad habit for me.  They could be in first place and I'd be thinking "They'll never get the cup the way they're winning these" and feel all dejected and anxious.

(but wow... even Tri had a mini melt-down  :wacko:  We need to get our sh!te together here  :P )

Edited by Pepperkorn

I HAVE NEVER fvckING SUGGESTED THIS STOP STOP STOP STOP SAYING IT YOU'RE TOO SMART TO KEEP REPEATING THIS

I am in control of my emotions...lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSkI32GQMy4

Seriously though, when the Fenwick/Corsi crowd start throwing those numbers around, the main reason we often hear for not-so-good results not meshing with "good" Fenwick and Corsi numbers is "bad luck".  We rarely hear skill level of the shooters acknowledged.  

You know when you're arguing with your gf for days about something lets say that she never lock the doors at night but she's always saying. "Bahhhh its fine nobody is gonna try to get in here, relax."

So once you're both standing there in the living room looking at no tv, no nothing and listening to your dog whining cause he got raped and the place is trashed... you know that feeling of wanting to point out that you told her this would happen.

Well I was the one annoyed as fvck by all the denials that "we'd be perfectly fine" back then and people calling me out. So let me have my moments here please. I know i'm coming off negative at times about some stuff but its not as if i'm wrong either. 

You just like to snivel and complain a lot.  Most weren't saying the Devils would be "perfectly fine".  Many dared to say the Devils would be better off without Kovy long-term, based on the contract, and the mixed results in Years 1-3 of that deal, but in the immediate term, no one knew exactly what to expect, especially with the on-the-fly recovery on Lou's part, but yeah, several fans actually tried to think positive, as opposed to bitching in as many threads as possible about Lou's MO and the potential state of the Devils.

You may want to give it more than 19 games before declaring all-knowing victory.  The Devils are actually about where I expected them to be...around NHL-.500 at this point in the sched.  Are there reasons for concern?  Sure.  Ryder and Brunner really have to start scoring, Loki looks more like a 5th-round pick every day and not some brilliant steal, etc.  Are there reasons for optimism?  The goaltending and defense has been improving, and Gelinas is up with the big boys and not looking outclassed.  Hopefully Merrill soon will do the same.  Elias is back in the lineup. 

The Schedule from Hell only has four games left.  I really want to see what the Devils do once they get past it.

• Like 1

The Kings remind me of some Devils teams of old. They don't dominate, just frustrate and win.

Was there really only 12,000-plus fans in the building last night? I was there, and I would've guessed there were more than that. Although I did notice that the upper corners were sparse, which was a strange sight to me because those sections used to always be full.

A few posters in here mentioned the pricing. What were the prices for the upper corners for last night's game compared to what they used to be?

Also someone mentioned the high concession stand prices. I noticed that too. When did they shoot up, this season or last? I didn't go to a game last season, so I was comparing prices to 2011-2012.

Edited by 95Crash

Guys, we're in the middle of a brutal 6 game stretch: NYR, LA, PIT, ANA, LA, SJ

I was praying for 3-3 and so far we're on pace to do that.  The team played pretty well last night and didn't get blown away by a solid LA team.  Pretty evenly matched game that could have gone either way. 

Guys, we're in the middle of a brutal 6 game stretch: NYR, LA, PIT, ANA, LA, SJ

I was praying for 3-3 and so far we're on pace to do that.  The team played pretty well last night and didn't get blown away by a solid LA team.  Pretty evenly matched game that could have gone either way.

This.

I was praying for 3-3 and so far we're on pace to do that. 

Same here, was hoping for 3-3.  8-10-5 for a team figuring itself it out and trying to do it while playing twice as many road games as home games isn't too bad...and fortunately, the division they're playing in is pretty forgiving right now. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Same here, was hoping for 3-3.  8-10-5 for a team figuring itself it out and trying to do it while playing twice as many road games as home games isn't too bad...and fortunately, the division they're playing in is pretty forgiving right now. 

Thing is, a lot of teams are starting to play better.

Rags are playing well

Philly is starting to pull themselves together

Washington has 6 wins in their last 10.

The Kings remind me of some Devils teams of old. They don't dominate, just frustrate and win.

Was there really only 12,000-plus fans in the building last night? I was there, and I would've guessed there were more than that. Although I did notice that the upper corners were sparse, which was a strange sight to me because those sections used to always be full.

A few posters in here mentioned the pricing. What were the prices for the upper corners for last night's game compared to what they used to be?

Also someone mentioned the high concession stand prices. I noticed that too. When did they shoot up, this season or last? I didn't go to a game last season, so I was comparing prices to 2011-2012.

There were more than 12000 bodies but they weren't all paying customers.  One guy on HF said he got an offer for free tickets since he bought playoff seats and hadn't been back much to the Rock this year, so I'm sure at least a few hundred of those e-mails went out.

Concession prices always tick up every year seemingly.  Last night was also one of the 'elite' priced games (highest pricing tier other than the Ranger games) and they paid for it up the nose.  It's $44 to get in the building for a non-sth buying a seat in 209 or one of the other corners available for public sale, $50 including fees if you're buying the seats on Ticketmaster, and that's without factoring in transportation/parking.  Even STH's have to pay $31 a game, and that's not going to entice too many sth's there.  Secondary market prices for last night's game were in the $20's and mid-30's for the most part...you do the math as to how many additional single-game seats the Devils are going to sell on that metric.

When the building first opened I know it was like $15-25 range for the upper tier tickets and it was packed every night.  Of course the balconies were ghost towns cause they were in the high $30's, low $40's.  Then they slashed the balcony prices and jacked up the upper tier prices and voila most of the sth's flocked to the 100 levels behind the nets.

I am in control of my emotions...lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSkI32GQMy4

Seriously though, when the Fenwick/Corsi crowd start throwing those numbers around, the main reason we often hear for not-so-good results not meshing with "good" Fenwick and Corsi numbers is "bad luck".  We rarely hear skill level of the shooters acknowledged.  

Bad luck that's also 'unsustainable'.  The more I watch the Devils the more I think these shot-based stats (Fenwick/CORSI) are hogwash.

Same here, was hoping for 3-3.  8-10-5 for a team figuring itself it out and trying to do while playing twice as many road games as home games isn't too bad...and fortunately, the division they're playing in is pretty forgiving right now. 

Not for long with the way everyone else is streaking in the division right now.  The whole division wasn't going to be bad forever and I really don't see where they even get two other wins in that stretch.  Or beat Winnipeg at home two days after the trip ends when we never match up well with them (hence why the nightmare streak is seven games for me, not six).  They can't rely on Cam Janssen goals or Ryan Carter getting two-goal games indefinitely.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Thing is, a lot of teams are starting to play better.

Rags are playing well

Philly is starting to pull themselves together

Washington has 6 wins in their last 10.

Trust me, I'm not implying that the Devils can continue to put up 21 points per 23 game blocks.  They'll clearly have to pick it up.  I'm saying that under the circumstances, an 8-10-5 start wouldn't be a killer.  They can recover, and the schedule is at least more favorable to them soon.

I HAVE NEVER fvckING SUGGESTED THIS STOP STOP STOP STOP SAYING IT YOU'RE TOO SMART TO KEEP REPEATING THIS

LOLZ.  :giggle:

This!