Devils reacquire Arnott from Nashville

reefgeek

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We should remember and refer back to this thread when Arnott has 14 goals or less in january and/or is battling an injury half way through season, and fans will want him out of town just like they want Rolston out of town! lol

This scenario is plausible, no doubt. But it is very unlikely considering the linemates he'll be playing with. If he's playing on a line with Elias and a good RW then he'll have around 16-18 goals by January as long as he stays healthy. Which is exactly where he should be.

We should remember and refer back to this thread when Arnott has 14 goals or less in january and/or is battling an injury half way through season, and fans will want him out of town just like they want Rolston out of town! lol

what is to refer back to? i don't understand how ANYONE can be upset with this move. if he breaks his leg tomorrow, yeah it stinks. but what else were the devils going to get for second line center that is better than Jason Arnott? What is the $4.5MM he's owed preventing the Devils from doing with a $59.4MM cap? We've shown in other threads how the Devils could stay the same, re-sign Martin, raise Clarkson, get Sheldon fvckING Souray's bloated contract, and STILL have room to spare.

Rolston is a fvcking dog - that's why people want him run out of town. Arnott, even if he gets banged up, is NOT that.

I mean, are you upset that Elias can't play a poor center with Kovalchuk on his wing because of Arnott? If that's the case, don't be because the Devils COULD still sign Kovalchuk w/ Arnott. Sure it gives them 3 top 1st line LW's and there's still the question of whether Kovalchuk is the right fit with his style of play and the team that would surround him. But they most certainly could afford him.

There was simply no other viable center out there. Please don't talk to me about Lombardi or Prospal either. That's just throwing money away.

what is to refer back to? i don't understand how ANYONE can be upset with this move. if he breaks his leg tomorrow, yeah it stinks. but what else were the devils going to get for second line center that is better than Jason Arnott? What is the $4.5MM he's owed preventing the Devils from doing with a $59.4MM cap? We've shown in other threads how the Devils could stay the same, re-sign Martin, raise Clarkson, get Sheldon fvckING Souray's bloated contract, and STILL have room to spare.

Rolston is a fvcking dog - that's why people want him run out of town. Arnott, even if he gets banged up, is NOT that.

I mean, are you upset that Elias can't play a poor center with Kovalchuk on his wing because of Arnott? If that's the case, don't be because the Devils COULD still sign Kovalchuk w/ Arnott. Sure it gives them 3 top 1st line LW's and there's still the question of whether Kovalchuk is the right fit with his style of play and the team that would surround him. But they most certainly could afford him.

There was simply no other viable center out there. Please don't talk to me about Lombardi or Prospal either. That's just throwing money away.

I am not upset with the move at all, think arnott wil be fine, the purpose of that post was, when Rolston was signed back here everyone was excited for him and thought he would bring the 30-35 goal seasons with him but some of us knew that the devils system kills most 30 goal scorers. So because Rolston is not scoring 35 goals a year and is a perfect PP QB, most fans want him out of NJ; where realistically the guy is a smart veteran player who is responsible with the puck. He brings alot of experience to any hockey team............ Sure the Devils may trade him but only because we can get something decent for him, if the rest of the NHL agrees with most devils fans right now we wont ever trade because teams will not trade for a crappy player and give back quality talent in return. So Rolston is Rolston and thats that. we'll see if we trade him but if we dont he will be a good player to have still, IMO.

Now that we got Arnott. I want kovalchuk to sign because a line of Kovalchuk Arnott Elias behind Parise Zajac Langenbrunner will be awesome! A third line of Rolston Zubrus Clarkson is a very good line as well!!!

...when Rolston was signed back here everyone was excited for him and thought he would bring the 30-35 goal seasons with him but some of us knew that the devils system kills most 30 goal scorers. So because Rolston is not scoring 35 goals a year and is a perfect PP QB, most fans want him out of NJ; where realistically the guy is a smart veteran player who is responsible with the puck. He brings alot of experience to any hockey team

i'm sorry, but this is just not accurate. (some) people were excited for rolston because we believed he would bring good secondary scoring and put in between 25-32 goals. the guy scored 20 which was crap but I could even live with that if he wasn't a complete ZERO on the ice. I could throw fancy stats like CORSI and Fenwick at you, but if you really paid attention to rolston, you'd see that he's a fvcking dog. he coasts through plays - shies away from contact - doesn't fight for pucks and almost never tries to outskate an opponent on any given play. he is constantly beat in any area on the ice and is a huge negative to the team when he's out there.

he was NEVER a PP QB - EVER. He was a shot from the point which is much different.

he's an imperfect player to begin with who is playing out the string of his career making $5MM+ w/o a care in the world - THIS is why fans want him gone, not because he's underperforming in the goal scoring category.

If Arnott has 14 goals in January, he's going to finish with 20-25 goals. which is what he does.

edit: of course, this is contingent on whether he's missed games or not. :lol:

Right. 14 goals in January is not so bad as long as he's got good 20 assists.

+1 Sundstrom!

Arnott > Rolston by a LARGE margin!

Arnott will do well and he will most likely have more goals and points than Rolston this season. Arnott still has it where Rolston right now going by last season does not.

i'm sorry, but this is just not accurate. (some) people were excited for rolston because we believed he would bring good secondary scoring and put in between 25-32 goals. the guy scored 20 which was crap but I could even live with that if he wasn't a complete ZERO on the ice. I could throw fancy stats like CORSI and Fenwick at you, but if you really paid attention to rolston, you'd see that he's a fvcking dog. he coasts through plays - shies away from contact - doesn't fight for pucks and almost never tries to outskate an opponent on any given play. he is constantly beat in any area on the ice and is a huge negative to the team when he's out there.

he was NEVER a PP QB - EVER. He was a shot from the point which is much different.

he's an imperfect player to begin with who is playing out the string of his career making $5MM+ w/o a care in the world - THIS is why fans want him gone, not because he's underperforming in the goal scoring category.

Just find the video from the Philly game in Philly before the break. 2-0 Devils, he's got Pronger beat to a puck, and quits because Pronger makes him sh!t his pants. Pronger whips the puck behind the net, Flyers break out and score. That's game.

2 points for the Flyers. 2 points keeps them out of the playoffs in the end and keeps them away from us.

Just find the video from the Philly game in Philly before the break. 2-0 Devils, he's got Pronger beat to a puck, and quits because Pronger makes him sh!t his pants. Pronger whips the puck behind the net, Flyers break out and score. That's game.

2 points for the Flyers. 2 points keeps them out of the playoffs in the end and keeps them away from us.

This. This right here. Same reason I hated Special Nieds. No heart, little effort.

This is why people liked Zharkov. No, he didn't score, but he was busting his ass.

I can feel where ot98 is coming from on this. There's definitely a feeling like it's possible Arnott could be another Rolston.

The year we signed Rolston, two of our biggest needs were secondary scoring and a power play QB. In one move, Lou addressed both needs by getting a guy who was coveted by, what, 15 teams? (Sure, we could argue whether or not he ever was a true PP QB, but he was still considered an upgrade over just about everything else we had, which wasn't much.)

Then Rolston turned out to blow. Hard. Not even Miss Cleo saw that coming.

And now we have a time where one of our biggest needs is depth at center. Lou goes out and addresses that by getting one of the better guys available without giving up much in return. Like Rolston he's a retread, and like Rolston he's getting older. I really, really, really, really hope Arnott is what we're all hoping he'll be. But I can totally understand any trepidation some may be feeling.

Edited by DaneykoIsGod

Arnott won't be like Rolston for two reasons. He wasn't a dissapointment the first time around like Rolston, who only blossomed after leaving. Plus we're not stuck with him for multiple years if he does start doing figure eights just to collect a paycheck. At worst Arnott will be this year's Robbie Nieds, but I don't even think it's conceivable he'll be that bad.

Arnott won't be like Rolston for two reasons. He wasn't a dissapointment the first time around like Rolston, who only blossomed after leaving. Plus we're not stuck with him for multiple years if he does start doing figure eights just to collect a paycheck. At worst Arnott will be this year's Robbie Nieds, but I don't even think it's conceivable he'll be that bad.

I don't know if Rolston was a disappointment his first time around, but the fact that Arnott is only signed for one more year definitely makes his worst-case-scenario a lot rosier than Rolston v2.0 has been. Good point.

When Rolston plays with Arnott and Elias a scores 30+ goals next year, its going be very quiet around here.

that's because the world will have blown up in response. rolston is as likely to score 30 goals as i am.

oh and just for fun, here's the list of players who've scored 30+ goals at 37 years old or older:

lol rolston

Edited by Triumph