Brodeur embarrassed himself and the franchise today

'7'

Lou and Pete need to take Marty into the office, tell him what the deal is respectfully. He needs to agree to not speak publicly without endorsing Cory and work like a backup goaltender and when he's called, he's called upon but it maybe weeks. If he doesn't like it, he can stay home and wait for a trade if it ever comes, or he can retire effective immediately and go out with some class. It's really up to him. The team is bigger.

How do we know they haven't already talked to him? Schneider has been playing a lot the last few weeks. This talk may have happened a while ago.

To answer the bold, I think that's exactly what it is. He thinks he can still be one of the best. I'm sure in his mind he's playing ok, or he thinks he's in a bit of a slump and "darnit, if they'd just let me play 10 games in a row, I'd be fine". Unfortunately when you can't see the forest for the trees, what you think is slump has slowly become the norm. Those solid games that Marty thinks are the usual, and at one time were the usual, are the rarity.

It's just not easy for someone who was at the top of their world for an extended period of time to realize that they aren't anymore. It's easy for us to see on the outside looking in, because we can see the whole pitcure. And I'm sure Lou has to see it, but he won't embarrass Marty by publicly mentioning it. Lou wanted to sign Marty for one year in 2012, but got leveraged into signing him for 2 because of the potential lockout and the supposed interest from Chicago and Toronto when he was on the market. Schneider makes it so that Lou has all the leverage, and I think Lou will use the opportunity for the "team to go in another direction."  I'm sure Lou will address it when the time is right, and for all we know, he's already spoken to Marty about it behind closed doors.

This. The other thing is, one of Marty's greatest assets, possibly the greatest, was his ability to bounce back. How many times did we watch him regroup between periods to keep the game close and give them a chance of a comeback, or between games to come up huge in the next one? Well, all of that's a result of confidence. He always believed he was the best goalie in the world, and that his bad moments were fixable and fluky. For much of his career, he was right, and it allowed him to avoid long streaks of bad play. Now, he has the same mentality, and his body won't back it up. It sucks, but it was hopelessly predictable. Superstars, especially guys who became superstars in large part because of their confidence, don't age gracefully, because their confidence blocks their grip on reality. Of course, this is less of a problem if he doesn't talk to the press, but short of a gag order, that won't happen because guys like Chere have jobs to do, and Marty's the best quote on the team right now.

If they've talked to him already and he's still making all these weird quotes that's REALLY bad.

I don't know why, but I feel like Cory starting more games recently was a conscious decision by either the coaches or management and not JUST because of his play. I'm interested to see how the games leading up to the Olympic break are split, and I'm VERY interested to see who starts the first game back after the break.

Man, I don't know how old most of you are, or when you started watching the Devils, but Marty deserves much more from this fan base. Maybe Marty is done, but he has earned better than what I'm reading. How quickly we forget what he has meant to this team, how he gave a significant hometown discount at the dismay of the NHLPA, so that he could stay in Jersey. Sometimes I read this stuff, and it sounds just like the Rags' board. Really sad.

Man, I don't know how old most of you are, or when you started watching the Devils, but Marty deserves much more from this fan base. Maybe Marty is done, but he has earned better than what I'm reading. How quickly we forget what he has meant to this team, how he gave a significant hometown discount at the dismay of the NHLPA, so that he could stay in Jersey. Sometimes I read this stuff, and it sounds just like the Rags' board. Really sad.

Now, with all due respect, I don't think anyone in this thread besides "7" has been irrationally hard on or unfair to Marty. And I think Marty banged 7's mom or something so that explains that.

And regarding the discount thing, he certainly did. But he got PAID these past two years, much more than he probably deserved. That's about 5m you can average over his prime years to level it all out, imo.

He's a great guy and the Devils owe him a whole lot, but that doesn't mean he deserves to dictate his future here.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Sadly, 30 NHL teams maybe have a lot more to say about it than Marty.  Like others have pointed out, who is he really an improvement over?  One problem with Chere's article was when he said something about how teams would love to have a goalie with 682 wins on their team.  None of those wins are really relevant now and going forward. 

In all fairness, Marty didn't say that, it's not in quotes.  That was Chere's comment.

He is to blame for this. His attitude sucks.

The NHLPA didn't like him because he worked around their agent system by using a lawyer instead of an NHLPA-credited agent.  This is part of how he was able to earn so little on his contract - instead of being dinged by an agent fee, I believe he just paid a flat rate to have a lawyer review the contract.

It'd be one thing if this were Brodeur's only bad year.  And indeed, he did keep this team afloat when they weren't very good in 06 and 07 - they probably don't make the playoffs in either year without his stellar play.  08 too, he was excellent, Vezina Trophies were deserved.  But it's been 4 years now.  4 years of below-average goaltending.  Some great moments - the run in 2011 just falling short of the playoffs, the 2012 Cup run (and indeed Brodeur saved his best for last - when the team was gassed, he gave them his best performance in the Cup finals), but since that point it's been nothing but bad goaltending.  You can't hide a goalie.  He can't be the DH.  Goalie is the most important position, and when you have a bad one, it is really difficult to win hockey games.

I've defended Marty on these boards a lot, but lately, he's not only played badly, he's put his foot in his mouth, being a questionable teammate. For a lesser player, some of the sh!t he's said to the media would be unforgivable (even if Chere's trolling for a quote). It's legit to call Marty on some of his sh!t, history or not.

Marty is just a human being.

Correct one that has grown old and has lost some of his skills and therefore doesn't have the talent to be a number 1 anywhere. He wants to play more and hopefully that is not happening with the Devils. He is a distraction, he will continue to be a distraction and he would be a distraction where ever he goes. So it is time to retire.

In all fairness, Marty didn't say that, it's not in quotes.  That was Chere's comment.

I know that, that's what I meant. 

jerseysteve, first off, most of the comments are not really mean-spirited. 

Most people have not forgotten what he has meant to the team all of these years.  People have pointed out the many good things he has done (often signing for less than maket value, helping to make Lou's job much easier by not fighting for every last cent or testing UFA, etc.)  He has had an awesome career and will go down as one of the best ever to play his position. 

Tri tends to lump all of the last four years together as "below average", but I've never agreed with that stance, because Marty had extended stretches of terrific play in both 2010-11 and 2011-12...I consider those seasons inconsistent (but clearly a sign of things to come, as far as the slow starts go).  But there's not much anyone can do to polish up last season and this one.  They've both been largely bad...in all honesty, I think if Roy or Hasek had turned in a season similar to last year's at Marty's age, they would've retired.  Marty just strikes me as the kind of guy who will always think he has something left until he REALLY doesn't have something left. 

I think most of us have always hoped that it would never get ugly or embarrassing for him, but it has.  He was not the only one to blame for Sunday's loss, but that still didn't make any less hard to watch.  Some will say that it would've been better if he retired after the 2012 Cup run, but that's all hindsight...the guy had been terrific for 50 games...who could blame either Lou or Marty for thinking that he had something left?