Watched the Wild Game

Jimmy Leeds

If Lou had "gotten something,anything" for Zach, there is no Finals run and the net $32,000,000 in revenue. Lou knew he was going to probably go. The thing I'll never understand is how Suter was so dead set against coming to NJ? With the easy travel, the organization, the team itself, the playoffs every year.........someone he trusts, not Zach apparently, who had a bad experience here must have gotten his ear and convinced him it wasn't a place to be.

There's no way Vanderbeek & Co could've ponied up Zach's contract...x 2!

On a different note, the NW division is a mess so far. Only one team with a non-negative goal differential. And that's the Oilers, who are even...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good hockey is good hockey and if Zach can spread it more power to him. It's better for everyone if every team learns how to play hockey the right way :evil:

In his shoes I woudl have wanted to leave NJ. I was really happy he considered staying and I get the feeling he really didn't have anything against staying with the team -- I think it's geography more than anything else. I for sure didn't feel like he was running anway from a sh!tty record or a binding system.

BUT -- as I wrote, I do worry he's got too much emotional support. He's got other things in life that can make him happy. But you never know when he'll get sick of it and just NEED that Cup. If Devils were somehow out of the running I'd for sure want the Wild next.

Here is the real question:

Will Parise ever have a 50 goal season in a Wild sweater?

50 goal seasons are really unlikely. Last season there were two guys who scored 50+, but no one who scored more than 41. The real question is will he have a 40 goal season for the Wild, and I'd bet against that too.

i really hope you're right Tri and actually i remember my wild fan buddy blaming injuries for the last 5-6 years so i guess it got to me lol, depth at offence and their D is certainly a concern for them right now. Heard rumours about them wanting to trade Seto for Despres in pittsburgh. Not sure how true this is though.

That makes no sense for the Wild - they actually have plenty of D prospects and young guys. They just don't have anyone reliable behind Suter, Gilbert, and arguably Spurgeon. PM Bouchard for Tallinder wouldn't be a bad deal for them.

50 goal seasons are really unlikely. Last season there were two guys who scored 50+, but no one who scored more than 41. The real question is will he have a 40 goal season for the Wild, and I'd bet against that too.

That makes no sense for the Wild - they actually have plenty of D prospects and young guys. They just don't have anyone reliable behind Suter, Gilbert, and arguably Spurgeon. PM Bouchard for Tallinder wouldn't be a bad deal for them.

I would have to think in the next 3 seasons (2013-2014, 2014-2015, 2015-2016) he will have a 40 goal season for Minny....

Tri, are you also declaring that "40 is the new 50"?!?

You know the one thing that I disliked about Zach? His interviews. He always seemed whiney to me.

Any way, it seems like he has the shooting luck going for him so far and I wonder if that first line will burn out over the course of a full season if they intend to count on that line a little too much.

If Lou had "gotten something,anything" for Zach, there is no Finals run and the net $32,000,000 in revenue. Lou knew he was going to probably go. The thing I'll never understand is how Suter was so dead set against coming to NJ? With the easy travel, the organization, the team itself, the playoffs every year.........someone he trusts, not Zach apparently, who had a bad experience here must have gotten his ear and convinced him it wasn't a place to be.
Probably just the New Jersey part... Edited by lucifer91

I would have to think in the next 3 seasons (2013-2014, 2014-2015, 2015-2016) he will have a 40 goal season for Minny....

Tri, are you also declaring that "40 is the new 50"?!?

Parise has one 40 goal season in his entire career, and that was on a good team. Now he is on a not-good team. He's also past a scoring forward's normal prime. So yeah, I'd bet against that.

Parise has one 40 goal season in his entire career, and that was on a good team. Now he is on a not-good team. He's also past a scoring forward's normal prime. So yeah, I'd bet against that.

well he's on a good line and has decent help from the dmen he's playing with. Kovalchuk and Nash got 50 goals on sh!tty teams too with average help. Not saying he's gonna score 50 but he could get a bunch... so far most of his goals are useless cause they lost all those games mostly lol but still

Wait...Zach who?

I don't care how good this guy supposedly looks, and I don't care that apparently some have justified his reasons for leaving. He's a traitorous bastard (only sorta :giggle: here) who misled the team and fans all year with his stupid comments.

BUT let's not go back to this again..he's having success? Great. I don't expect the Wild to be a very good team in the long run, when you have 1/3 of the future cap invested in 3 players.

i hate saying this... cause i feel that im talking like a butthurt homer trying to pump my players tires... But from what i saw from Henrique so far... if he can keep up... he has better hands, better shot, he's better one on one and he's WAY MORE clutch than Zach as ever been in NJ ever.

So not saying Henrique could endup being better than Zach but i really don't think its impossible.

plus i dont think Zach would have fought Iginla in his rookie season haha

No, definitely not impossible! And totally agree, Henrique had more clutch and meaningful moments in the span of 2 months than Parise has had in his career. I'd even venture to say Kovalchuk is king clutch compared to Zach as well (the amount of game-winning goals he had in the span of a couple years is/was astounding).

well he's on a good line and has decent help from the dmen he's playing with. Kovalchuk and Nash got 50 goals on sh!tty teams too with average help. Not saying he's gonna score 50 but he could get a bunch... so far most of his goals are useless cause they lost all those games mostly lol but still

Nash hasn't scored 50 since he played AAA Midget. He has had 41 and 40 but nor more at the NHL level. Funny, given his hype you'd think he'd scored 60 every year of his career....

But anyways, both Kovy's and Nash's best seasons in terms of sheer offensive output are well behind them. Same with Zach, he's not gonna pot 45+ in a league where it's harder to score than coming out of the last lockout + following seasons.

When Zach donned the USA sweater during the last Olympics and scored against Canada late in the 3rd to send the Gold Medal contest to OT, it was pretty cool knowing our entire country's hockey fans, including Rangers fans, were rooting for a Devils player. I'll miss that.

When Zach donned the USA sweater during the last Olympics and scored against Canada late in the 3rd to send the Gold Medal contest to OT, it was pretty cool knowing our entire country's hockey fans, including Rangers fans, were rooting for a Devils player. I'll miss that.

I rooted for Richter hard in 1996 during the World Championships

The wild are a .500 team, so far they have beat up on inferior competition (avalanche & Dallas) and lost to the teams that are considered playoff teams (st Louis, Nashville, Detroit.) they might make the playoffs in a bottom seed but they are a first round and out at best

And that's with Parise putting up unsustainable production. He'll fade (somewhat) and the WIld will go back to being horrid

What got me about Zach leaving was how he had said leading up to free agency that wherever he was ganna go he wanted to win. I prolly would have been even more annoyed if he went to pens but at least he has a good chance to win there. Detroit I probably would have been fine with. He goes out of conference and gets to compete for the cup every year. But Minnesota? Are you kidding me? There is no evidence that says the wild are on the verge of a cup, let alone a deep playoff run.

i hate him not as a player... as a person he betrayled us no matter what anyone says... if you want to leave fine... but dont tell crap and said jersey is your first choice before signing in minnessota...

Obviously as fans are loyalty is to the organization so it's natural to feel that way. I've always felt it's a bit ironic that if the team ditches a player, no one claims the player was betrayed but if a player exercises his right to free agency, then he is some sort of bad person for doing so.

I don't really understand why people get upset at Parise's comments about wanting to stay in NJ all of last year. Whether he wanted to or not, he would've been an idiot to give anything other than a cookie cutter answer about wanting to stay here.

Obviously as fans are loyalty is to the organization so it's natural to feel that way. I've always felt it's a bit ironic that if the team ditches a player, no one claims the player was betrayed but if a player exercises his right to free agency, then he is some sort of bad person for doing so.

I don't really understand why people get upset at Parise's comments about wanting to stay in NJ all of last year. Whether he wanted to or not, he would've been an idiot to give anything other than a cookie cutter answer about wanting to stay here.

That's why I don't get on these players...it was Zach's right to CHOOSE who he wanted to play for, to go out and see who might want to sign him, and to pick the team he felt was best for him. He doesn't owe anyone an explanation. He earned a right and - GASP! - chose to exercise it. He is not indebted to the Devils for life because they were the team that drafted him.

What fans also forget is that it's not like Zach grew up dreaming of wearing Devils' red and black, and playing in Newark. He never had a choice in the matter...the Devils drafted him, end of story. While he was here, he played hard and the Devils got terrific value out of him, in terms of on-ice production and the money spent on him.

And yeah, what was Zach supposed to say? Even when he said as little as possible every last quote got picked apart to death.

Basically, it's pretty simple...when it comes to UFA:

some guys leave

some guys stay

some guys leave their teams to come play for yours

and none of the above are 100% guarantees to work out.

And what's sad is some of our own fans insist on focusing on the guys who left, and not the guys who stayed, and forgetting that some of the guys that Lou didn't bring back really didn't do that much for their new teams once they left.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Normally, I'd bet against that, but PPs seem to be up near 2005-2007 levels. He's obviously gonna slow down, but I think 40 is obtainable.

Honestly, watching the Devils this year have made me forget about him in a way. Am I gonna root against him and the Wild? You bet your ass but I'm not going actively worry about him. We all know he'll be a good player the next 4-5 years. But I'm pretty damn happy we won't have to deal with that in 5 years

I'm sick of people blaming Lou for not being more proactive trying to sign him. sundstrom broke that rumor last year that Zach had 7/49 on the table in season from Lou but his agents advised to to wait until free agency.

you said it, a rumor.

Lou always did it that way ALWAYS, then Zach, Meehan and Lou insisted that there was not talk and no negotiation at all between the 2 sides until after the season.

Lou is extremely secretive but still they all said it, we're they lying? i dont know. But its damn more believable than a Sundstrom internet rumor. And you take it as if it's a fact for your arguments... lol cmon now

you said it, a rumor.

Lou always did it that way ALWAYS, then Zach, Meehan and Lou insisted that there was not talk and no negotiation at all between the 2 sides until after the season.

Lou is extremely secretive but still they all said it, we're they lying? i dont know. But its damn more believable than a Sundstrom internet rumor. And you take it as if it's a fact for your arguments... lol cmon now

Yet you find it believable that Lou, one of the best GMs in all of sports, just sat around and did nothing as if he didn't realize the situation. Everyone knew that Zach was waiting for the big money of free agency. Come on now.

And yeah I am rooting against him, if only because I don't want to see the NHL equivalent (for me, a Mets/Jets fan) to Yankees-Phillies/Braves in the World Series, or Giants-Patriots in the Super Bowl :P I'd have to root for the Wild against the Flyers/Rangers obviously but that would be the nightmare scenario at this point.

Edited by NJDevs4978