Revitalization Around The Rock

The Rock 07

ya getting critical mass is really the key. I would love to see a semi mall/hotel complex in the empty parking lot between Edison and Market. I think having Pru move would to new gigs would enable a nice refitting of the 1rst two floors of the gateway 2 building but Im probably just throwing up pipe dreams. The big ones are the real developments happening at teachers & Edison which hopefully when combined with hotels will provide a cool spot to go out any time of the year.

The city of Newark ought to classify surface parking lots as unimproved property and create a hefty tax surcharge on unimproved property within the downtown district. It'd achieve 2 things: encourage property owners to develop their lots and bring money into the city's coffers particularly from non-voting landowners.

The city of Newark ought to classify surface parking lots as unimproved property and create a hefty tax surcharge on unimproved property within the downtown district. It'd achieve 2 things: encourage property owners to develop their lots and bring money into the city's coffers particularly from non-voting landowners.

It's very difficult due to the laws in regards to equal treatment for taxation purposes (ie you can't tax a business more than an individual on property tax). The city tried to force the improvements through eminent domain and after that failed everyone has been a bit snake bitten. I think if the state/edison were able to connect the overpass to Penn with a building you would see the ability to leverage that into another hotel/retail complex. Nothing is going to happen in the next 2-3 years that we haven't already heard about on some sort of level so I am hoping that the Pru building actually comes to fruition. I did see they are still moving along on Teachers Village and the hotels are moving along so that is exciting.

• 3 weeks later...

I am extremely curious as to where this goes as I would love to see Pru build a staple tower that would change the Newark Skyline. Regardless I see this and wish that Dranoff, Edison & SHU would develop their Mulberry parcels so we would really have something to talk about. I will settle for one out of three though.

Y'know, if Pru builds that tower there it will bridge the gap of major office towers between the the Washington Park cluster and the Penn Station cluster. It will raise the value of the surrounding area even more than NJPAC did because this will create a 10 hour presence of people in and out. It might jumpstart several developments including Shaq's tower, Dranoff, and something might even possibly happen across Broad Street at the Hahnes & Griffith Buildings. This could be a major tipping point for the whole Military Park area, especially with Panasonic's new building across McCarter by the Legal Center.

Y'know, if Pru builds that tower there it will bridge the gap of major office towers between the the Washington Park cluster and the Penn Station cluster. It will raise the value of the surrounding area even more than NJPAC did because this will create a 10 hour presence of people in and out. It might jumpstart several developments including Shaq's tower, Dranoff, and something might even possibly happen across Broad Street at the Hahnes & Griffith Buildings. This could be a major tipping point for the whole Military Park area, especially with Panasonic's new building across McCarter by the Legal Center.

Agreed...NJPAC would greatly benefit from it too. 1 Theater Square tower is also proposed for across NJPAC. That may be the same as the Shaq tower though. I think a modern tower that is primarily residential is sorely needed downtown.

I'd also really like to see the occupancy rate for the Washington Street Buildings go up. A few of them look virtually empty. Hopefully the development around Broad St. Station picks up.

Edited by devlman

I think the idea has to be to just stretch the development between the train stations starting with developments closer to Penn which is really the prime development space. I think the one Path stop hurts Newark and wish the extension would come back into the port authorities plans as you can see what it has done for Jersey City and now is doing for Harrison. I would love to see something that would push the Gateway complex to be more street retail friendly but it seems that the gerbel tunnels will exist forever.

I think the idea has to be to just stretch the development between the train stations starting with developments closer to Penn which is really the prime development space. I think the one Path stop hurts Newark and wish the extension would come back into the port authorities plans as you can see what it has done for Jersey City and now is doing for Harrison. I would love to see something that would push the Gateway complex to be more street retail friendly but it seems that the gerbel tunnels will exist forever.

Where would you want the PATH extended to?

No one items makes a city change, it's the confluence of items and access to Manhattan is a huge draw for current and future residents. Living in a urban area without terric public transportation makes no sense and buss transportation has a stigma compared to light rail and "metro" access. The path is a huge driver of development and a extension to the airport with 2-3 more stops would stretch the desirable areas in which to build high density development.

No one items makes a city change, it's the confluence of items and access to Manhattan is a huge draw for current and future residents. Living in a urban area without terric public transportation makes no sense and buss transportation has a stigma compared to light rail and "metro" access. The path is a huge driver of development and a extension to the airport with 2-3 more stops would stretch the desirable areas in which to build high density development.

They also need to reopen South Street and Roseville Stations for NJ Transit usage as well as putting a station in Weequahic Park. That would help all those areas as well. Mind you, if NJ Transit did that it would make a PATH extension more or less irrelevant.

Edited by NewarkDevil5

They also need to reopen South Street and Roseville Stations for NJ Transit usage as well as putting a station in Weequahic Park. That would help all those areas as well. Mind you, if NJ Transit did that it would make a PATH extension more or less irrelevant.

If you gave me the choice, I would rather the path at those stops versus NJ transit. I think of NJ transit as town to town or trips that are 15 minutes or more. Anything in the range of Newark to S.Orange, Maplewood, Bellville I would want Metro or Light Rail.

If you gave me the choice, I would rather the path at those stops versus NJ transit. I think of NJ transit as town to town or trips that are 15 minutes or more. Anything in the range of Newark to S.Orange, Maplewood, Bellville I would want Metro or Light Rail.

Well if NJ Transit set up a special flat rate for all movement between stations within a certain zone around Newark that would create effectively the same situation as PATH. For instance lets say these stations:

Glen Ridge, Bloomfield, Watsessing, Roseville, Newark-Broad, Orange, Brick Church, East Orange, Roselle Park, Union, Weequahic, Rahway, Linden, Elizabeth, North Elizabeth, Newark Airport, South Street, Penn Station Newark, Secaucus, and Hoboken

Let's say they set it up to where any travel between those stations was a flat rate of $2.50. That would create a situation where the travel volume would increase in the densest area of the state so that they could run more frequent trains in those short stretches, possibly even every 15 mins during rush hours. They could even cordon off a portion of those listed stations and use only the front 3 or 4 cars of the regular trains for that fare and use a shorter 3-4 car long train for shuttling during the rush hour portions.

Not sure if anyone saw the work done at dino bbq but I thought it was pretty cool too see they are opening it to the plaza and putting windows on the second floor as well.IMG00754-20111231-1238.jpg

Awesome. You should post this up on wired too.

Yeah I noticed it on Tuesday when windows were being installed. Good idea.

Definitely. I thought they were going to leave the plaza banner there and not open it up (like in the renderings). Can't wait to that area comes up, the atmosphere will be supercharged.

Not sure if anyone saw the work done at dino bbq but I thought it was pretty cool too see they are opening it to the plaza and putting windows on the second floor as well.IMG00754-20111231-1238.jpg

Wow seems like things are starting to pick up in Newark. Good to see!

I remember that rendering for the Edison ale house building having the restaurants facing the plaza but aparently to do that would have added a huge amount of costs...oh well having the restaurant face the plaza is going to open up oportunities to really have an outdoor eating plaza and maybe a beer garden like set up.

Edited by newarkdev01