Should Schneider be traded?

AEWHistory

Schneider for assets?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Do we explore trading Schneider for assets?

• Yes
    • No

I'd like to see what people think about this: now that CS's value is about as high as it is going to be for the foreseeable future, do you cash in on this and turn him around for assets? For example, what if a team that was currently looking to go over the top offered a couple 1sts and a good prospect?

Remember, he is 28. If the Devs can't compete for a SC for another 2-4 years then you're heading out of his prime years and then well need another goalie then anyway. Corey's low mileage offers the hope that he plays at a high level longer, but age will catch up to everyone whether they play the game or ride the bench and time is brutal to goalies.

One last note: LL has a history of buying high and selling low in the sense that we've paid a lot to get talent and often gotten little in return for the talent we have. This would avoid that scenario.

EDIT: btw, this in no way disparages what Schneider has done for us lately. In fact I'd say it is because he has been so pivotal that he should be traded. If we aren't going to be in the playoffs then I'd rather have a better pick. And if we aren't going to have a good shot at a cup then I'd rather get younger, more talented, and deeper.... Even if that means sacrificing someone very talented right now. I'm sure I'll be flamed for this...

Edited by AEWHistory

No way. He's a great cornerstone piece to have and build around. I want to keep him.

• Like 1

How does this even come up when hes literally the only reason we have won more than 10 games this season. Without him we maybe have half the wins we have now.

First - it's an interesting point of discussion. He wasn't inflammatory about it.

Second - the above is why you might entertain the idea. Devils are in contention for a top-2 pick without Cory this season.

That being said - I'm glad we have him because he's fun to watch.

No way. He's a great cornerstone piece to have and build around. I want to keep him.

I understand that sentiment, but for how long? He is worth a lot now and we aren't a SC competitor. Will we be next year? If not then CS is 30 the next time we roll into contention.... or older.

Did you all read the post? What happens three or four years from now when we become solid competitors and he is declining?

I actually brought up this same point a little while ago - great minds think alike [emoji38]

It's a great question though. Cory is arguably hurting the Devils' future by being a monster this season.

Edited by Devilsfan118

First - it's an interesting point of discussion. He wasn't inflammatory about it.

Second - the above is why you might entertain the idea. Devils are in contention for a top-2 pick without Cory this season.

That being said - I'm glad we have him because he's fun to watch.

Trading cory for "assets" when he is your only asset is how you become Edmonton. They are the benchmark for how not to run a hockey team. Stupid discussion.

Absolutely not. Goalies peak a lot later than other players and as you mentioned, he has low mileage. No reason he can't be elite until he's 35 and if the offense isn't rebuilt by then, the Devils have bigger issues.

This is the answer. No counterarguments. You my friend, win.

I understand that sentiment, but for how long? He is worth a lot now and we aren't a SC competitor. Will we be next year? If not then CS is 30 the next time we roll into contention.... or older.

Having a guy like Cory can get you there even quicker. He's a premier puck stopper. Guys like him aren't that easy to find. I take my chances with him and hope I can build a contender sooner than later.

Absolutely not.   Goalies peak a lot later than other players and as you mentioned, he has low mileage.  No reason he can't be elite until he's 35 and if the offense isn't rebuilt by then, the Devils have bigger issues.   

This is a good point and the biggest problem with my argument. If you're right then great. And his low mileage makes that more likely. OTOH, it also makes him more valuable. But we'e also tried this a lot in the past: expected aging guys to still have "it" and they just didn't. If that happens here then we are is a real bind:

1. We will have lost the assets he could bring now.

2. We would have a hole a G just as the team is becoming competitive.

3. We'd be forced to either develop a replacement and lose some of the window to win OR pay for a new starter.

So while I agree that there is no reason he can't be elite at 35, I can't put my money on it. More likely he is elite for the next 2-4 years and then begins to fade just as we begin to ascend as a team. That's my concern.

This is fvcking ridiculous. And you DESERVE to be flamed for this. It's near-sighted worrywort garbage.

Needless to say: absolutely not. Guys like Cory do not grow on trees. And wtf are you talking about 3-4 years? He's 28 and goaltender is one position that guys can still play at a high level for a long time. You also seem to completely forget the fact that he does not have tons of miles on him. His highest GP before he came here was 33 games. He's got a lot of mileage left on him. Guys like Roy, Marty, Belfour, and Hasek all played at a very high level until later in their careers and obviously there's plenty of names I'm not mentioning. Hell, Marty won the Vezina at 36 if we want to keep a NJ perspective. Goaltenders are not forwards, they dont have to worry as much about things like concussions and things that significantly can shorten a career or turn them into liabilities.

Trading him for "assets" now would be absolutely insane. He's proven himself over the last 2 seasons here to be one of the elite players at his position. What sort of assets are you asking for? Picks that are nothing more than a lottery ticket and could bust? Unproven prospects? We have a surefire elite goaltender for the next 5-10 years. 10 may be pushing it, but its certainly likely to be double your estimation. We dont have to worry about grooming anyone or hoping a "chance" on another goaltender works out. We are set at the position for a significant amount of time and more than enough that hes still playing at an elite level by the time the franchise is back to being contenders.

Edited by ghdi

Btw this would be the worst possible move for renewals. Anybody who is slightly on the fence about renewing would most likely not renew.

I didn't renew for next year. It was fun selling tickets for under face value of even my season ticket holder price and giving away seats from time to time but just couldn't justify renewing next year with the increased price and my transition between jobs. Hopefully in the near future I will be able to provide this service again =)

Funny, I expected the flaming and verbal abuse but this is ridiculous. Five years ago when I predicted that Lou was done and hurting the franchise people acted the same way. Don't believe me? Look it up. I posted a poll just like this one.

I think it is sad that people cannot have a mature discussion here. Moreover, I think we will regret not trading him. I'll put it down in writing: the Devils aren't going to win anything with CS because the team simply doesn't have the assets to do it before he fades. We will never develop a SC winning set of forwards and finish fleshing out the Def (as well as give them experience) and have enough depth at these positions in the next year or two.... And probably not three. Even if we hit home runs with almost EVERY draft pick this year the players would take 2-3 years to develop!

Consider this: how much talent, more or less, does this team have than the Devs of the late '80s? That team still took half a decade to mature. What level of play will CS be at in half a decade?

Funny, I expected the flaming and verbal abuse but this is ridiculous. Five years ago when I predicted that Lou was done and hurting the franchise people acted the same way. Don't believe me? Look it up. I posted a poll just like this one.

I think it is sad that people cannot have a mature discussion here. Moreover, I think we will regret not trading him. I'll put it down in writing: the Devils aren't going to win anything with CS because the team simply doesn't have the assets to do it before he fades. We will never develop a SC winning set of forwards and finish fleshing out the Def (as well as give them experience) and have enough depth at these positions in the next year or two.... And probably not three. Even if we hit home runs with almost EVERY draft pick this year the players would take 2-3 years to develop!

Consider this: how much talent, more or less, does this team have than the Devs of the late '80s? That team still took half a decade to mature. What level of play will CS be at in half a decade?

Is it a coincidence that the team "developed" by bringing up a young stud lights out goalie?