New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a little sick of people calling Kovalchuk a "novelty item", an "ornament", etc. This is a guaranteed 40-50g/40a per year guy. There is nothing novelty about that. He is a game changer, a team changer, and a fan-base changer. Yea, it looks like he doesn't want to play here, but let's gain a little perspective.

The fan base changer will be Marty Brodeur when he retires. Not far behind him will be Patrik Elias. Once that happens, the "void" left by these two Devils icons will need something of an "ornament" to help keep fans happy. Perhaps that's Kovy. Perhaps that's making a pitch to pick up Malkin? Making a pitch to pick up Doughty? A pitch to lure Ryan Miller or Cam Ward to NJ to help "fill the void"...?

One thing's for certain, we are up for some very long years once that happens...

I am a fan of home-grown talent (meaning within the organization) as were Niedermayer, Elias, Brodeur, Rafalski, Stevens (early part of his career he came to NJ).

Kovy certainly could become the flagbearer for NJ, but that's a major gamble. I would give up his 40/50 goals per year to be able to compete as a team for the Stanley Cup with a majority of "home grown talent," and not having one guy steal the wind out of the sails for 20 guys. Winning yearly is the best marketing a team can have, no questions asked.

It's a team game. Kovy is great to brag about, but that's about it. He's no cup winner by himself, and the sooner he figures that out, the sooner he signs.

The fan base changer will be Marty Brodeur when he retires. Not far behind him will be Patrik Elias. Once that happens, the "void" left by these two Devils icons will need something of an "ornament" to help keep fans happy. Perhaps that's Kovy. Perhaps that's making a pitch to pick up Malkin? Making a pitch to pick up Doughty? A pitch to lure Ryan Miller or Cam Ward to NJ to help "fill the void"...?

One thing's for certain, we are up for some very long years once that happens...

I am a fan of home-grown talent (meaning within the organization) as were Niedermayer, Elias, Brodeur, Rafalski, Stevens (early part of his career he came to NJ).

Kovy certainly could become the flagbearer for NJ, but that's a major gamble. I would give up his 40/50 goals per year to be able to compete as a team for the Stanley Cup with a majority of "home grown talent," and not having one guy steal the wind out of the sails for 20 guys. Winning yearly is the best marketing a team can have, no questions asked.

It's a team game. Kovy is great to brag about, but that's about it. He's no cup winner by himself, and the sooner he figures that out, the sooner he signs.

Parise is our franchise player. IMHO, We need him locked up long-term worse than we need to keep Kovy. Give him a lifetime contract or something to ensure he is not only is a staple for our team for years to come post-mary, but so we can market him as such.

The marketing benefits of keeping Kovy are also huge, but what will the cost be for the rest at the expense of the remainder of the team. He'll put people in the seats, but how much cap will we have to work with when one of the two sides of this [kovy vs 2-teams] finally budge.

If he comes under 10, so be it. But I;m becoming more and more apprehensive when I look at holes to fill in the coming years.

Why cant he be like the Kovy in NHL 10 who i just resigned for 6 years at like $5.3 mil per?? lol

I love him and what he's meant to the team but if Elias leaves, or retires. he'll be missed about a nanosecond

If he he picks his game back up between now and his last, he could bring back the memories of how vital he's been in every aspect to this team.

It will also matter how close to Brodeur's announcement his comes.

helenenothelen

not confirmed yet but hearing that Kovalchuk to Kings is dead, this time for good. the reason: Kovalchuk wouldn't compromise on money.

if kovy isnt compromising on money, i think it will also keep us out of this... unless he wants additional millions to build a home out west, therefore it shouldnt be too hard here...

:argh: :argh: :argh: :argh:

Edited by jagknife

helenenothelen

not confirmed yet but hearing that Kovalchuk to Kings is dead, this time for good. the reason: Kovalchuk wouldn't compromise on money.

if kovy isnt compromising on money, i think it will also keep us out of this... unless he wants additional millions to build a home out west, therefore it shouldnt be too hard here...

:argh: :argh: :argh: :argh:

I think the Kings were seriously low balling him. The whole thinking appears to have been that the Kings were hoping he would take less money to play in LA.

In any event, the operative words are "not confirmed yet". He'll end up in LA.

Arghh, Kovy is not going to the Sharks and Thornton is not being trading. There are too many moving parts necessary to make that work, that if anything like that was even being discussed, you'd have more than speculation. Thornton is not Brian Rolston. The Sharks would have to be getting a very good return in any such deal. Also, trading Thornton is not a deal you pull the trigger on unless you are absolutely positive Kovy will be signing on the dotted line. Even Mike Milbury would be smart enough to realize you can't count on that. This is especially so since you'd likely be getting back assets like picks young talent that can't help you immediately. This is no good for a win now kind of team unless again it's a metaphysical certainty Kovy is signing with them. Sharks don't want to be left with their d**ks in their hands when they don't have Kovy or Thornton and have nothing to show for it.

Finally, the Kovy camp can't as much pick up the phone with some team without every beat writer knowing or at least speculating about it. We would be hearing more from just the Eklunds of the world if this was going on.

That's what agents and GMs are for. Doug Wilson is an excellent GM and in comparison to Dean Lombardi, well, it's taken him 15 years how to become one. Lombardi was also kicked out of San Jose, so their can be the prize of snatching the trophy from DL. It's no secret that the Sharks have been talking about trading Joe T for months, even after last year's playoff debacle, the Sharks kept him around for this season, but still, they're shopping him.

With $6 Million in Shark Cap Space, then add a move of Thornton and the Fish have $13 Million in the money bag to play. There are plenty of possibilities and Kovy would go to the Sharks. Never under estimate Craig Jamison and Doug Wilson even in the 11th hour... I would enjoy seeing them jump in the mix more than letting the Kings grab Kovy.

Edited by HOLLYWOOD

I think the Kings were seriously low balling him. The whole thinking appears to have been that the Kings were hoping he would take less money to play in LA.

In any event, the operative words are "not confirmed yet". He'll end up in LA.

this saga just needs to end. seriously, just freaking end it.

is anyone else really excited for the upcoming season

i am, was thrilled with camp opening and was enjoying getting TG twitter game updates on my phone earlier.

Fun fact: At ten days and counting, the Ilya Kovalchuk Sweepstakes have lasted longer than any post-season Kovalchuk has ever experienced.

"Fun fact: At ten days and counting, the Ilya Kovalchuk Sweepstakes have lasted longer than any post-season Kovalchuk has ever experienced." 9:00 PM Jul 11th via TweetDeck

http://twitter.com/downgoesbrown

would be nice if you credited the guy who came up with it.

That's what agents and GMs are for. Doug Wilson is an excellent GM and in comparison to Dean Lombardi, well, it's taken him 15 years how to become one. Lombardi was also kicked out of San Jose, so their can be the prize of snatching the trophy from DL. It's no secret that the Sharks have been talking about trading Joe T for months, even after last year's playoff debacle, the Sharks kept him around for this season, but still, they're shopping him.

With $6 Million in Shark Cap Space, then add a move of Thornton and the Fish have $13 Million in the money bag to play. There are plenty of possibilities and Kovy would go to the Sharks. Never under estimate Craig Jamison and Doug Wilson even in the 11th hour... I would enjoy seeing them jump in the mix more than letting the Kings grab Kovy.

That's what agents are for? Because Jay Grossman has been so good at keeping things under wraps.

And even if you're right that SJ wants to get rid of Thornton, it is not something that can be done on such short notice and without more attention. Hell, even Lou couldn't keep the Kovalchuk trade a secret.

ADDENDUM: And you better believe that if Kovy were in talks with the Sharks, Grossman would be broadcasting that loud and clear to the Kings (through media leaks) in a hope that Kings will increase their offer for fear of having Kovy go to a division rival.

Edited by Daniel

"Fun fact: At ten days and counting, the Ilya Kovalchuk Sweepstakes have lasted longer than any post-season Kovalchuk has ever experienced." 9:00 PM Jul 11th via TweetDeck

http://twitter.com/downgoesbrown

would be nice if you credited the guy who came up with it.

i saw that when it went out on twitter and laughed my ass off, but then got sad realizing that meant this year we didnt even last 10 days :argh:

Edited by jagknife