If Lou Lamoriello was GM of the NY Jets (...just for fun)

Mitico12

Since we have "no real" hockey, I wanted to pose this "fun and hypothetical" question to you NY Area football fans out there...

If Lou Lamoriello were football oriented, and was the GM of the NY Jets, do you think they would...

A) have won a Superbowl by now

2) picked up some of the players they had (Burress, Holmes, Cromartie, Tebow)

3) be considered better than the NY Giants

OK boys and gals...discuss away! :-)

Since we have "no real" hockey, I wanted to pose this "fun and hypothetical" question to you NY Area football fans out there...

If Lou Lamoriello were football oriented, and was the GM of the NY Jets, do you think they would...

A) have won a Superbowl by now

2) picked up some of the players they had (Burress, Holmes, Cromartie, Tebow)

3) be considered better than the NY Giants

OK boys and gals...discuss away! :-)

If he ran them for 20 years? My guess is they'd be pretty successful. Rex Ryan sure as hell wouldn't have a job there. Actually, they'd probably be looked at like the Patriots, in that you'd either love them or hate them.

Jets have two big problems today in my opinion that are holding them back and Lou would avoid

1. They financially committed themselves to Mark Sanchez, a rookie from day one for a huge chunk of change

2. They drafted horribly since the Revis draft as they've gone after physical freaks instead of guys who can play.

I think Lou would avoid those two mistakes given his drafting record in NJ.

However, Lou has a huge weakness for loyalty in his players so they would probably still be starting Chad Pennington, Jerricho Cotchery, etc etc. I think that's a huge problem with comparing a Lou Lams Jets team with the Patriots, who have succeeded by mostly remaining unloyal to their players once they became too expensive. Loyalty might not be best in the NFL where contracts are not guarenteed. I think Lou's ceiling for the Jets as a general manager is basically the Steelers over the past 20 years, emphasis on Defense and character (except for star QBs, they can do what they want).

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

all of these likely wouldn't have happened:

"FULLBACK - OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

the entire jets offense needs to be blown up and sent out other then d'brick and mangold, theres my expert anyalsis.

.28 seconds LOL!!! Fins UP!

up in the AFC east basement for the next decade

think of all the super bowls we missed out by not having cokehead marino. man he really stockpiled those lombardi's in miami

Edited by '7'

think of all the super bowls we missed out by not having cokehead marino. man he really stockpiled those lombardi's in miami

Really, a Jet fans talking smack about ANY other team's drafting and quarterback success. (Namath and Revis are all the Jets have to brag about over 50 years of their existence). Maybe if you were a Niners or Patriots fan you could get away with that. Even the Rangers have more to brag about draftwise than the Jets.

Back to the issue at hand, Lou would probably be terrible as an NFL GM.

Not very PC, but when you're a football GM, you're dealing with a large number of thugs. Lou has very little tolerance for that. Jon Merrill is as much of a "bad boy" as it gets in the Devils system, and what he's done is very, very tame compared to what football players get away with in college. (Take the rapsheet of Jerramy Stevens, and let me know if there's anything close to that in hockey).

You also need coaching stability in order to have success in the NFL. We all know Lou's track record in that regard as a hockey GM>

Edited by Daniel

all of these likely wouldn't have happened:

"FULLBACK - OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

the entire jets offense needs to be blown up and sent out other then d'brick and mangold, theres my expert anyalsis.

Lageman and McNeil were good players. Especially McNeil

. I love how Marino gets blamed for not winning a SB, like it's his fault and his fault alone or something. While it's true Marino wouldn't have won a Super Bowl with the Jets either (because they're the Jets, let's be honest here), it's not like Shula didn't completely fail to build a complete team around Marino. I say it all the time- switch Marino and Montana and let Marino run with Roger Craig, Rice, Taylor, Clark, and Rathman and that 49er defense and let's see who has more rings then.