What was your first jersey?

Quinn01

My roommate could give or take hockey, but loves Chico Eats, so I get her the red shirt for Christmas a couple years ago and got Chico to sign it at one of his book signings. He was insanely nice, offered to let us come into the booth at a home game so she could meet him. Unfortunately, the 2 of us didn't make a game together that year, so we couldn't take him up on it, but meeting him was still awesome.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just came back from my parents and got my first ever jersey from them. There was a note in there that said I got it in Jan of 1993 so it was during the first season when they switched to the current colors. I wore this until the summer of 1995 when I outgrew it and it was a youth L/XL. A couple of things I noticed now since it is the first time i have seen this in about 15 years: 1) the font is horrible and the 1 on the back is larger than the 5 and 2) I did not remember this until I saw it but Johnny Mac signed it on the front above the crest in the upper left corner of the below pic.

gallery_3795_148_16923.jpg

gallery_3795_148_13378.jpg

Edited by DevsMan84

Though I followed the team from the '83-'84 season on, I didn't get an actual jersey until '95. I simply couldn't afford one before then...I had my share of Devils T-shirts, sweatshirts, etc, but no jersey.

Just a few hours before Game 3 of the SC Finals in '95, I was getting ready to head over to the game when my new girlfriend at the time called and asked, "Is there any way you can come to my house about an hour before the game? I have an early birthday present for you!" (This was June 22, two days before my 25th birthday.) I couldn't believe it when I opened her gift...a brand-new Devils home white jersey (no name)...I had wanted one for so long, but they just seemed so expensive at the time on my limited funds...hell, I had put myself in a deep enough hole just buying playoff tickets for the final two rounds...it sounds funny and incredible cliched, but as soon as I put it on I really felt like I was walking on air. She gave me a big hug and said "Have a great time, hope they win, I'll be watching!"

The relationship was pretty short-lived (she turned out to be a bit of psycho, jealous of everyone that was female to a most unhealthy degree), but that moment itself was quite nice, in that I could tell she really enjoyed seeing my surprise and happiness when I first saw it and put in on. I don't remember exactly what I did with that first jersey...I do remember it getting pretty beat up in time.

First customized jersey I bought was a white Gilmour jersey in the late 90s, from Cosby's. First authentic one I ever bought. The only reason I bought it was because I had a good buzz-on after watching the Devils beat the Rangers, and though it was very pricey (I think $300), I said screw it, I'm buying it. I still have it, though it's hardly prestine.

Bought several from all eras and incarnations of the franchise since. I might start selling some of them off soon.

My first jersey was a blank red youth Devils jersey sometime around 1993 when I was in I think second grade. My next jersey was one of those goofy half home, half away jerseys that confused the crap out of me because for a while I thought it was an actual jersey the team wore.

The third jersey I got was about a year or so later and it was a white Rangers jersey with #11 and my name heatpressed across the back given to me by my uncle for my birthday or Christmas. Because of my uncle I was both a Rangers fan and Devils fan at the same time. I even wore that stupid jersey on class picture day in fourth grade. By the time I finished elementary school and both teams had won a Cup in recent years, I realized I couldn't be a Devils fan and a Rangers fan at the same time and needed to pick one. I went with the Devils because the bullies that sat at the back of my school bus were Rangers fans and they were annoying, and I also thought why would I root against my own state? Too bad a lot of people don't ask themselves that question haha. I had no idea how big of a turning point in my life that would be. Anyway, about five years ago when I started working at a pro shop, I brought the jersey to work one day and used some chemical we had at the store to take my name off the jersey. Since then it has been used as a doormat, to mop up spills, and to kill bugs.

chris terreri. still have it. i love that sweater.

When I was 21 (back in '91), one of my fraternity brothers (my little) bought an authentic white Terreri jersey...it was beautiful. I was so envious...I remember wondering where the hell he got the money for one. I'm not 100% sure, but I think he still has it.

I had a couple of white replica jerseys without the name/number for awhile. May have had a red one too, don't quite remember. My first player/authentic jersey would probably be my Brian Gionta Reebok Edge jersey that I bought at The Rock the year it opened.

Edited by nmigliore