Niedermayer to Ducks (CONFIRMED)

Weekes Head

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

guys...I would always put blood above money and employers. That's what the Devils are, they're employers, co-workers. If Nieds wants to take a pay-cut and play for a worse team (both of which I'm sure he realises without the malicious ill-wishing) so he can play with his brother, something that he has said that he wanted to do for a long time now, then good for him. I applaud his bloody decision. What was the alternative? 'Sorry bro- I really wanna play with you and be near my family, but the Devils have offered me more money'? He chose his brother, and that was the right choice.

No compensatory pick for Nieds. RTFM, folks.

Will Compensatory draft picks still exist?

Yes. Clubs that lost a Group 3 free agent to another club between July 1 and September 15, 2004 will be eligible to receive a compensatory draft choice in the 2005 Entry Draft slotted on the same basis as under the expired CBA. Going forward, clubs will no longer receive compensatory draft choices for the loss of unrestricted free agents but will receive such choices for the loss of unsigned first-round draft picks.

Im with Jason on this one.

I hate to tell you folks, but Niedermayer was overwhelmed once Stevens went down and really did nothing.

Our defense was tired, beaten up, and weak on the back end.

Do we have a Norris trophy defenseman? No

Do we have a deep and steady defensive unit who will only be playing in front of arguably the best goaltender in the NHL? Yes

Move On.

I thought nieds excelled once given the chance....i mean you don't get "overwhelmed" then win a norris...or are you just talking about in the playoffs? he seemed average to me in the playoffs till game 5...

I thought nieds excelled once given the chance....i mean you don't get "overwhelmed" then win a norris...or are you just talking about in the playoffs? he seemed average to me in the playoffs till game 5...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He looked tired and overwhelmed towards the end of the 2003-2004 regular season, and in the playoffs while playing solid, he never was able to really dominate.

Nieder won a Norris the year Stevens went down!

He was great in 2004. The last goal the Devils scored that season was his on a great bandhand past Esche and against the grain after he did a full circle around their defense. That, and a lot of other plays, will be missed.

Nieder won a Norris the year Stevens went down!

He was great in 2004.  The last goal the Devils scored that season was his on a great bandhand past Esche and against the grain after he did a full circle around their defense.  That, and a lot of other plays, will be missed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just expected more. The defense was lackluster with Nieds at the helm, very slow and overpowered. Doesnt matter if he scored a great goal, the playoff performance overall was disappointing IMO.

Still, if we could have signed Nieds and maybe signed McGillis and brought Stevens back. Oohhhh, Stanley Cup Contenders.

Oh well.

Imagine if we had agreed to his contract demands before the lockout, then with salary rollback, we wouldn't have had to pay $7+ million.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you talking about Nieds? The Devils offered him 8 million a year before the lockout and he said no. That was the first of many signs he wasn't coming back to NJ.

• 5 years later...

I can't find where I said He was going to single handedly ensure they win the Cup fo rhis sh!tty brother and we'll all see what a fvcker he was slacking it for the Devils that whole time.

Anyhow -- How funny --- with my Darwin's really bizarro posts about Stevens I had to go look at more board posts from the time. We all thought Stevens wasn't allowed to come back because his cap hit woudl be too high! that he was never tendered a contract.

:rofl: .... :unsure: ......

:mellow:

Edited by Pepperkorn

who doesn't love revisionist history:

I have decided that I will not post here ever again. Given that I am not a hardcore fan and that I have not been a fan of the Devils as long as PSG (only since 1987), I do not deserve to have an opinion. I do not stand up to their standard and therefore don't have the right to an opinion.

I hope they are happy with their board. Have fun.

i am glad you're still here - occasionally.

when someone compared nieds departure to holik's, the point was brought up that madden could fill holik's role and madden's role could be played by someone like rheaume or a decent 4th line checking center.

this is similar. now I'm not saying that ANY defenseman is as good as Niedermayer, because I believe he was the best in the business. but it is now to Martin (yes Martin, not Rafalski) to step into the Niedermayer role of excellent all-around defenseman. he has the ability to be a good offensive player and has speed and size to handle defensive responsibilities. malakhov is here now to replace martin's earlier role. and as much as i absolutely HATE malakhov, i feel that he's about as good as Martin was in 03-04. the question is whether martin can progress as much as i think he will.

martin did not fulfill the hope i had for him - too bad.

Oh my...what a thread.....I don't care if I get warned but a good amount of you are wimps and annoying as hell. I don't care what you think of New Jersey's current situation, there is no need to cry like you chunked your underwear. This defense is better now then it was for the 2004 playoffs....I don't have 1 doubt in my mind. Robinson loves Malahkov and not only was he Philly's best defensmen in the playoffs in 2004 but he was Russia's best defensmen at the World Cup.

McGillis ia an underated but solid pickup. He is very Phyiscal, solid defensivly and has some offense. He is a poor mans Adam Foote IMO.

for someone who's got a lot of knowledge and gets much more right than he does not, this one was a toughie for you my friend.