Devils may have future general manager in Martin Brodeur

Devilsfan118

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2...e_general.html

Devils may have future general manager in Martin Brodeur

"I don't know if I'd like the day-to-day operation of it. Maybe a few years after, but early-on I think something more like an assistant (GM) would be better suited for my personality. If I had the choice, that would more suit my demeanor."

But he could see himself doing what Tampa Bay's Steve Yzerman and Joe Nieuwendyk of the Dallas Stars have done, learning the ropes and then becoming GMs.

"When you get into it you care so much that you want to move up. Assistant coaches want to be head coaches," Brodeur said. "I'd like to get my feet wet first. But that could be a route I'd take later in my life."

Thoughts on Marty as the future GM?

lord no.

he can replace rob skrlac as the guy who hands out jerseys at games but his ideas of playing a goaltender as much as possible and defensemen not blocking shots are not instituional foundations i'd want my team built on.

is it possible that he applied that strategy to himself, and would use other methods for different goalies?

I don't know how I feel about Marty specifically being a GM but I would like to have someone who has been in the organization for a long time take over rather than bring in some outsider.

many (including myself) are inclined to think the exact opposite. the devils have been slow to adapt to the "new nhl" - they have played UFA poorly, they invest money in players with very limited skill sets, they often do things that they know, etc.

sometimes a new voice and a different perspective can be a good thing.

The problem with Marty as GM is he'd be tough to fire if he wasn't any good but I'd probably prefer Marty to Chris Lamoriello at least :lol:

I don't consider Marty to be a smart guy.

I vehemently disagree...he follows the game more than just about any other player and grew up in the Habs tradition. Reading his book you can see just how much he does apply himself to the league, to studying shooters and things like that.

I think he could be a good GM but the risk of us hiring him might be too great.

I don't like it. If he's good, that's awesome. It builds more to the legend. BUT, if he sucks, how do you fire him, an eternal face of the franchise?

Exactly. That's the same issue I'd have with Stevens taking over behind the bench one day. Great, great players, I will definitely love to see them involed in the organisation, but coach and GM are the most responsible positions and if you suck, no one will pity you because you were the franchise player x years ago.

That being said, I have no idea what kind of a GM Marty would be. I don't think anyone knows it.

Like most things when it comes to the internal affairs of the team, I have no idea if Marty would or would not be a good GM. On the outside he appears to be a student of the game and a guy who gets how it's played, so that would be a good start for someone who might be a GM some day. Heck, I have no idea if some GMs are any good or not or if they have amazing subordinates that they're smart enough to listen to.

Marty is very hockey smart! and he's smart enough to know he'd need to feel out the position - find out if he's any good at it before just jumping in. This season's failing is very good for Marty personally. It teaches a lot and it's something he's never been through. Stuff like this is first step to transitioning into a new role within the game.

The easy route -- obviously would be broadcasting -- then you get to take pot shots and shoot off your mouth with zero repercussions -- and he'd still feel pretty :P

Both Stevens and Marty really understand trust. I'm not sure how that translates into management. Both have huge egos in terms of not wanting to fail or be seen as failures. We know Stevens can quell those voices in his head for the most part and do what has to be done or accept what canNOT be done and move on. Marty is HYPER-critical and always has the "right" opinion - again I'm not sure how this would translate. He's really learning about hitting a brick wall this season. It has to be seen how he rolls with that going forward. How an when will he react to not being right in every instance - physically it's very clear cut, but mentally - he thinks it's as clear but now I am hoping sees it just isn't as easy as all that --- how do you work then? He was always able to SAY Hey there is a lot I dont know -- but now he clearly is learning that. So... we'll see how this all pans out.

He's being very honest -- he's considering all options of course and has to see what honestly works.

and it's bad news. nieuwendyk is succeeding because he got lucky, yzerman walked into a good situation and has done a lot with it. i don't want brodeur anywhere near this team's front office.

Just because you didn't foresee it doesn't mean it's luck. And Yzerman put his own stamp on Tampa immediately.

There is no telling if Brodeur would be a good or bad GM. He would take years as an assistant before ever being an actual GM. We have no way of knowing how it would work out.