Devils Midseason Report Card: Team in midst of misery

Rock

He was considered trade bait because he's a UFA at the offseason. Dallas didn't really expect to have the season that they are currently having. His salary is 7.8 million so they figured he could be traded at the deadline to a playoff contending team by the deadline. However, Dallas is third in the Western Conference so he may be off the table.

Oh ok. Well I would think he would get more than just a 2nd round pick too, should Dallas turn out to be a fluke. He's an elite-level player.

Understood, but the Devils made their bed with the Kovy deal now they have to sleep in it. If we lose Zach, we lose Zach and we have to do a bit of rebuilding. In the very least we've got an extra 5 mil and 4 1st round picks. Imagine the leverage we would have in trades with a first round pick available, especially 4 1st round picks. I was watching the Rogers feed of the Edmonton game last night and the between period commentators were speculating that Brad Richards may fetch a 2nd round pick(I think he'll get a bit more) at the trade deadline. That's Brad Richards. Now imagine the returns if you can afford to throw in a first rounder.

That's such utter freaking nonsense. There isn't a chance Richards fetches only a 2nd. He's not getting traded anyway.

Richards is worth at least one top prospect, plus a 1st rounder, and probably a role player from the 3rd/4th lines, and that's as a rental.

Brad richards is a top 10 player in this league. He could easily fetch a kovalchuk deal

he's not a top 10 player in this league, and i'm not sure that he would fetch a kovalchuk type of deal if he were traded (his deal is prohibitively expensive, and he has an NTC). that said, i don't think dallas is trading him.

Hey, don't get mad at me. I didn't say it was my opinion that Richards would get a 2nd in return. That being said Richards isn't going to get a huge return. His cap hit on Dallas is 7.8 mil. That means the team that acquires him has to give up a decent amount in return and then try and sign him for at least 7.8 mil.