Canadian Anthem/ Chants

Zubie#8

In 2007 against Ottawa in the playoffs, I was seated in 217 row 2. If you remember from the CAA days, corner sections were divided between the first 4 (?) rows and a bunch behind it, it was almost like a little no perks included box. When they got to "Goddddd keep our land", I yelled "you can have it!". The next line was "glorious and free.." to which the Sens fan next to me screamed "...from the Americans!". We laughed, and he and my dad clinked their beers. We talked about the game the whole time, and he shook our hands after Langs netted the double overtime goal.

If you're one of those people who takes it as me burning their flag, you need to grow the fvck up.

I always thought it was disrespectful to make any noise during the anthem.  It is disrespectful when Rangers fans come to our arena and yell "Let's go Rangers" or "Devils suck" during the anthem and it's even more disrespectful to take jabs at the country whose anthem is being sung.

"Everybody does it."

"I've done it before."

"The opponents do the same thing."

"Other fans do stuff that's much worse."

These statements, and those similar, may all be true. That does not change the fact that the behaviors are crude, disrespectful, unsportsmanlike, and embarrassing. If you want to behave this way, or accept this behavior in others, fine -- that's your choice. But don't try to tell the rest of us we're wrong to disapprove. We're not. It's that simple.

• Like 1

"Everybody does it."

"I've done it before."

"The opponents do the same thing."

"Other fans do stuff that's much worse."

These statements, and those similar, may all be true. That does not change the fact that the behaviors are crude, disrespectful, unsportsmanlike, and embarrassing. If you want to behave this way, or accept this behavior in others, fine -- that's your choice. But don't try to tell the rest of us we're wrong to disapprove. We're not. It's that simple.

Anywhere else in the civilized world, a bare-knuckle fist fight is deemed to be so crude, disrespectful, unsportsmanlike, and embarassing that the participants are sent to jail. Not in hockey. In hockey, the participants are cheered, spend five minutes taking a breather, sign autographs afterwards, and collect six-figure per year salaries.

It's hockey. Stop begging for it to get pussed up. It's hypocritical to be OK with seeing a bare-knuckle fight, the bloodshed that occurs on a nightly basis, and the Claude Lemieux's of the league, but arbitrarily draw the line when people say the word "suck" within earshot. Don't try to tell me I'm wrong for saying so. I'm not. It's that simple. (God, what an arrogant end to a post.)

• Like 1

In 2007 against Ottawa in the playoffs, I was seated in 217 row 2. If you remember from the CAA days, corner sections were divided between the first 4 (?) rows and a bunch behind it, it was almost like a little no perks included box. When they got to "Goddddd keep our land", I yelled "you can have it!". The next line was "glorious and free.." to which the Sens fan next to me screamed "...from the Americans!". We laughed, and he and my dad clinked their beers. We talked about the game the whole time, and he shook our hands after Langs netted the double overtime goal.

If you're one of those people who takes it as me burning their flag, you need to grow the fvck up.

I was at that game, god that was awesome...except losing the series and all that. That was not awesome.