It is a retool not a rebuild

Beetlebum

Matteau may not be around here much longer. He got benched for taking a bad penalty and rode home on the fan bus, instead of the team one. Idiot

He chose to ride home on a different bus, is this true?!? Are you kidding me?? What a pansy

Big picture it's not a huge deal, they just better tell him not to come here for the week.    He shouldn't draw a game check for that

I don't think he could come anyway if he walked off the team, until his former junior team's season ends.

Good grief, this guy better not bust if we're giving up a high pick next year just to have him in the organization now.

Eh Matteau's a kid, he didn't pull a Cormier and nearly kill someone.  I'm sure Lou will be forgiving of an 18 y/o losing his cool.

I'd almost rather have a moment of temporary insanity on ice than diva behavior off it.  And Matteau's fully capable of temporary insanity on the ice himself.

I don't think he could come anyway if he walked off the team, until his former junior team's season ends.

Good grief, this guy better not bust if we're giving up a high pick next year just to have him in the organization now.

I'd almost rather have a moment of temporary insanity on ice than diva behavior off it.  And Matteau's fully capable of temporary insanity on the ice himself.

It could be over by Thursday

Matteau may not be around here much longer. He got benched for taking a bad penalty and rode home on the fan bus, instead of the team one. Idiot

Oh come on.  How old is he?  Where is his ego right now exactly?    You don't dump a kid for trying the role of Prima Donna on for size. 

The lesson is obvious and it's amusing.  I mean if he really WANTS to play in a beer league and feel like a god that's fine.  He has a fragile ego right now - it's to be expected. It needed bolstering on the fan bus because he didn't hold a position of superiority with his team mates.  We could go on with such amusing humilating excuses for his behavior.... it's not a shipping offense and who cares really?

anyhow.... it's funny and it's how a person learns why being sensitive isn't really productive.   Relax even.

EDIT

Ohh - I didn't finish reading - you all have it covered.  non issue.

Edited by Pepperkorn

You guys are overreacting to the Matteau story. Most of the young stars in the game today have some funny and embarrassing news headlines in their past: Patrick Kane, especially Evander Kane, Richards, Carter, etc., the list goes on...

Not saying he's gonna be a Top-10 player, but how this translates to = "bust" is just amusing. Once again, glad you all aren't the Devils' GM...

I'm not saying we will get him, but I do think Lou will be poking around Buffalo's camp in the offseason for Thomas Vanek, the guy is supposedly going to be available in the offseason (along with Miller) and he's an elite goal scorer which is what this team needs, the problem with this team this year was the lack of top-line talent outside of Kovy, then when Kovy went down we had zero top line talent and, well, you can see how the team performed with that. I'm not saying throw the kitchen sink at Vanek, but I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility to send some sort of package involving Josefson and Urbom Buffalo's way for an asset that we desperately need, then let Boucher and the kid we draft this year battle it out for that last roster spot up front.

I'm not saying we will get him, but I do think Lou will be poking around Buffalo's camp in the offseason for Thomas Vanek, the guy is supposedly going to be available in the offseason (along with Miller) and he's an elite goal scorer which is what this team needs, the problem with this team this year was the lack of top-line talent outside of Kovy, then when Kovy went down we had zero top line talent and, well, you can see how the team performed with that. I'm not saying throw the kitchen sink at Vanek, but I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility to send some sort of package involving Josefson and Urbom Buffalo's way for an asset that we desperately need, then let Boucher and the kid we draft this year battle it out for that last roster spot up front.

Not bad. And having Josefson play the last stretch here will help our cause. He's actually looked really good, AND FAST.

The only thing is Vanek will be worth more than that, especially with the PPG year he's had. I think there'll be similar level players available via UFA considering the cap drop situation that's gonna hit a lot of teams this offseason. I'm thinking we can land a few very good players for cheaper or free.

Josefson's trade value is pretty minimal at this point...he has yet to stick in the NHL and is injury-prone to boot.  He's got some strengths, but not enough. 

It actually would be cool to see a deal involving Vanek AND Miller (Miller has only two years left on his deal, so it's not crippling at all...he would be a more-than-solid stopgap goalie), but the Devils don't have the pieces for such a deal...the Sabres are going to want "ready now" players who could help them, and in a significant way.  It would've been nice if Josefson and/or Tedenby could've pulled a Bergfors and shown just enough that a team would be willing to take a shot at them making an immediate impact, but they didn't...oh well... 

I may be in the minority but I would package in Larsson for Vanek, I would do that in a heartbeat.

EDIT: eh I thought Vanek was more in his mid 20s so I dont know...

too old... i'd do Larsson for Eberle for example in a heartbeat though. (or a similar kind of player)

I may be in the minority but I would package in Larsson for Vanek, I would do that in a heartbeat.

EDIT: eh I thought Vanek was more in his mid 20s so I dont know...

lunacy

too old... i'd do Larsson for Eberle for example in a heartbeat though. (or a similar kind of player)

not lunacy but that's a tough pill to swallow. let's see where they end up in the draft. if they are able to get seth jones by winning the lottery, i would consider dealing larsson. eberle is also signed for $6MM/year for a long time. that's a big contract this early in the game.

Be careful what you wish for. My Oilers friends haven't liked Eberle's game this year at all... One of my friends referred to his play this year recently as: "Every play seems to die with him." His cap hit is 600K less than Kovalchuk's and he's signed through 2019, I don't know if that's a risk Lou takes.

Merrill, Matteau, Volch, and Teddy for Vanek.

Typical fan proposal trade...the kind Yankee fans call into the WFAN with constantly.  "Duuuuuuuuhhh, I'm gonna list 5 or 6 playes we don't want for a very good play-a."   

Unknown, unknown, and two unwanted players for a guy who can help immediately.  Why wouldn't Buffalo want to jump all over that?

Start with Henrique (who won't be nearly enough, but at least he has some upside) and give them at least one or two more players who they'd actually want (players that can help them either right now or very soon) that aren't on bad contracts (like Volchenkov) and maybe the Sabres pick up the phone. 

Larsson for a forward is lunacy.  You don't get franchise defensemen anywhere except at the draft.  The Devils haven't had a defensive prospect with the upside of Larsson in AGES (and he's already proven he can play).

In short - stop it.  We've had at least three Larsson threads this year and they were all as stupid as the last.

Larsson for a forward is lunacy.  You don't get franchise defensemen anywhere except at the draft.  The Devils haven't had a defensive prospect with the upside of Larsson in AGES (and he's already proven he can play).

In short - stop it.  We've had at least three Larsson threads this year and they were all as stupid as the last.

Yes! Agree!

Typical fan proposal trade...the kind Yankee fans call into the WFAN with constantly.  "Duuuuuuuuhhh, I'm gonna list 5 or 6 playes we don't want for a very good play-a."   

Unknown, unknown, and two unwanted players for a guy who can help immediately.  Why wouldn't Buffalo want to jump all over that?

Start with Henrique (who won't be nearly enough, but at least he has some upside) and give them at least one or two more players who they'd actually want (players that can help them either right now or very soon) that aren't on bad contracts (like Volchenkov) and maybe the Sabres pick up the phone. 

Kovalchuk trade is the blue print for any deal we make for Vanek.

If we could make a trade for Vanek I'd absolutely do it. I'd love to see a first line with Kovalchuk Loktionov Vanek. It would give Loktionov 2 very good options to pass to and it would give that line a presence around the net with a scoring touch. The catch is that you get him for only 1 year after which he'd be an UFA.

Given all of this you're in a similar situation to when we traded to Kovalchuk (although I'm not aware of any real falling out as far as Buffalo attempting to re-sign him long term after this season as happened with Ilya in Atlanta). As such it is not impossible that the trade return for Vanek might not be as high as you might expect since the team would only be getting a 1 year rental.

All in all I'd still be game for this to happen assuming that the pieces moving to Western New York aren't too vital to our future.

Kovalchuk trade is the blue print for any deal we make for Vanek.

You beat me to this.

Larsson is 20 years old and has shown flashes of brilliance. Find a 20 year old defenseman who made an immediate impact in recent (last 10) years. It doesn't happen. Anyone who even considers him a bust at this point is a fool. If Larsson is on the table, we better be getting back a massive package and should be for a superstar. I'd only even consider including him if we were getting back a Patrick/Evander Kane-type of player. The fact he's not been played regularly doesn't matter to me at all. He will get his chance soon and likely this next season. There's a reason why the top prospects rarely get moved early in their career. IMO Larsson and Kovy are literally the only untouchables at this point. After this season, even Henrique has fallen from that pedestal. That doesn't mean I don't value Henrique, I just don't think he's necessarily untouchable.

I could see us getting Vanek for Henrique, Urbom, and a 2nd or 3rd rounder. We won't get him for any of the overpaid defensive scrap heap (Volchenkov, Tallinder, Sal, etc). I don't see Lou being able to get the Kovy deal prior to the season beginning. It would be nearer the deadline as its likely the selling price is much higher now than it would be then. Then we'd be in the situation with him that were in with Kovy in that first offseason after the trade.

I also agree that the reaction to Matteau's situation has been borderline. He's a confident kid who felt wronged and went about expressing himself the wrong way. Let the dust settle a bit before castigating everyone involved. Other young players have done a lot worse and turned out fine.

There are going to be changes and I could see massive changes just as I could see little ones. I think the draft could be a very big deal for us this year and not just b/c we're hosting. More to the effect of seeing trades made at the draft with us involved.