New York Redbull

Satans Hockey

I hope Beckham stays in Milan, he can play some seriouse football, and prolong his England Career. He is still extremley effective from the bench to turn an international game around with a great free kick and set piece.

I agree, it benefits my Euro team (Milan) and my American team (RBNY) :D

I agree, it benefits my Euro team (Milan) and my American team (RBNY) :D

Galaxy are looking at 15 million for milan to bring him to italy permanently.

To much, but they will need to gain something out of him going there.

Beckham was foolish in thinking going to Galaxy would mean he would still get an England place and should have signed for Milan when they were initially interested.

Galaxy are looking at 15 million for milan to bring him to italy permanently.

To much, but they will need to gain something out of him going there.

Beckham was foolish in thinking going to Galaxy would mean he would still get an England place and should have signed for Milan when they were initially interested.

the funniest part is that Beckham did not make MLS any more popular nor did he help out that Galaxy much.. and honestly, with Landon Donovan AND Beckham they should be at least in the MLS playoffs

the funniest part is that Beckham did not make MLS any more popular nor did he help out that Galaxy much.. and honestly, with Landon Donovan AND Beckham they should be at least in the MLS playoffs

He only sucseeded in making the LA galaxy more popular.

Anyway back to the red bulls, do you still have to endure the joke of a footballer who is JP Angel :giggle:

Id argue w/ that .. please look at the $$ in sales and attendance figures of the Galaxy -- home AND away

on the other hand they lost a golden opportunity to bring them much greater popularity and cash by making the playoffs and showcasing Beckham in the Finals... same on them

Id argue w/ that .. please look at the $$ in sales and attendance figures of the Galaxy -- home AND away

lol - he made the Galaxy more popular. Not the MLS. He was supposed to make the league more popular not the team (making the team more popular was a given). In fact LA already had a good star in Donovan. Check around the MLS at attendance figures; the only team that really improved was the Galaxy (duh since they got Beckham).. Its not like those people went to the game wanted to see a good MLS game, they just wanted to see David Beckham do nothing and take his shirt off at the end

Team

Avg. attend.

% change

Los Angeles Galaxy

7.20%

Toronto FC

-0.10%

D.C. United

-5.40%

New England Revolution

5.00%

Chicago Fire

3.30%

Houston Dynamo

6.60%

Real Salt Lake

1.40%

New York Red Bulls

-3.60%

Chivas USA

5.70%

Columbus Crew

-4.00%

San Jose Earthquakes

N/A

Colorado Rapids

-7.40%

FC Dallas

-14.00%

Kansas City Wizards*

-7.80%

Totals

-1.80%

^ http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/60481, so the league averaged a drop in attendance in 2008. Obviously the only team with a big attendance gain was LA..

Now in 2009 just watch the Galaxy attendance figures go down now if he does move to Milan permanently. (Especially now that Donovan is gone too! Man, sucks for them)

Edited by nmigliore

lol - he made the Galaxy more popular. Not the MLS. He was supposed to make the league more popular not the team (making the team more popular was a given). In fact LA already had a good star in Donovan. Check around the MLS at attendance figures; the only team that really improved was the Galaxy (duh since they got Beckham).. Its not like those people went to the game wanted to see a good MLS game, they just wanted to see David Beckham do nothing and take his shirt off at the end

Team

Avg. attend.

% change

Los Angeles Galaxy

7.20%

Toronto FC

-0.10%

D.C. United

-5.40%

New England Revolution

5.00%

Chicago Fire

3.30%

Houston Dynamo

6.60%

Real Salt Lake

1.40%

New York Red Bulls

-3.60%

Chivas USA

5.70%

Columbus Crew

-4.00%

San Jose Earthquakes

N/A

Colorado Rapids

-7.40%

FC Dallas

-14.00%

Kansas City Wizards*

-7.80%

Totals

-1.80%

^ http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/60481, so the league averaged a drop in attendance in 2008. Obviously the only team with a big attendance gain was LA..

Now in 2009 just watch the Galaxy attendance figures go down now if he does move to Milan permanently. (Especially now that Donovan is gone too! Man, sucks for them)

Excellent research -- did you get the attendances when Beckham visited the opponent? Im just saying where ever he went people wanted to see him play..

Excellent research -- did you get the attendances when Beckham visited the opponent? Im just saying where ever he went people wanted to see him play..

Nah but Im pretty sure it was higher than usual attendance.. Me, being a NYRB fan, witnessed LA vs NY at Giants Stadium in 2007 and they PACKED the stadium to see Beckham.. It was a thrilling game too.. I'd take an educated guess that the road attendance was high in 2007 for LA but dropped in 2008 once everyone got over the fact Beckham is playing American soccer. I could be wrong though, but from that article the whole average of attendances did drop from 2007 to 2008, which really doesn't surprise me considering the only reason it was higher than usual in 2007 was because of Beckham's arrival.

I believe if Beckham were to stay with LA for 2009, I'd expect the attendance to be similar to 2008 with another small step down in attendance.

Hes also not really a big scoring threat in MLS, except on some free kicks obviously, I would think that got some people a bit mad.. or i shouldnt say it got them "mad", but i mean like they probably thought he would score more and be an ELITE MLS goal scorer, but he didn't

edit: here's the TV stuff from 2007 and 2008 seasons (telecasts on ESPN2), same article as previously posted -

2008: 26 telecasts, 0.2 rating, 253k viewers

2007: 25 telecasts, 0.2 rating, 289k viewers

2006: 21 telecasts, 0.2 rating, 263k viewers

^ So while the ratings never changed, the viewers dropped.. Even with 1 more full telecast they didn't surpass their 2007 number of viewers.. Hell even the pre-Beckham (2006) number of viewers was better than 2008, and that was with 5 less telecasts! Now Im too lazy to actually check how many times the Galaxy played on these telecasts, but I'd assume they played quite alot in 2007 and 2008 on ESPN2 to showcase Beckham in hope of boosting the ratings and viewers.

Edited by nmigliore

I stand by my original statement- MLS is better off with Beckham than without -

I dont disagree, he cant hurt it at all to be honest.. only improve it.. But again i personally rather him be on Milan, where he looks like more of an effective player, because it benefits my favorite Euro-team and make the Galaxy less stronger which is always helpful to the Redbulls when they face them 2 or so times a year.. Its not like the league turns to sh!t if Beckham leaves.. but poor Galaxy though, no Donovan or Beckham is gonna kill their attendance.. or at least i think so

I did go to the LA vs RB game in both 2007 and 2008 -- the first game was packed -- the second not (but Donovan did score in extra time)

Exactly; 2007 - everyone on the Beckham wagon and dieing to see him, 2008 - everyone is over it.. And most likely in 2009 the attendance would drop again for the NY/LA game.

Edited by nmigliore

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys. I'm not into American soccer, but I got his question. Dallas F.C. paid $750k to Borrow a player until the end of 2009 from my soccer team in Brasil(see sig).

so I just want to know if this is a high value or a low value paid for a soccer Player??

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...