Quebec Nordiques Fan Group invading Prudential Center

NJ4life

Either way, I'm thinking if a few thousand Devils fans start chanting "rangers suck" or something the Nordiques fans will probably join in :) It's that kind of 'home team crowd having fun' stuff they're missing and want back.

I think the bottom line is if you're going, have a great time and assume everyone else is there for the same reason. The summer is unfortunately starting early for us this year so enjoy it while you still have it.

Edited by jim777

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're interpreting the chant far too literally. It's not like the chant goes "Our rival team is inferior to us statistically!"

Is it silly when it's done 5 times per period? Yes. But I don't mind it a couple of times per game because it's just fans bonding over mutual dislike of our biggest rival. It doesn't LITERALLY mean that they are worse than us, it just means that we don't like them.

Sometimes it's okay to just be a fan and not be so worried about how this affects our "image" or shows how we have an "inferiority complex". It's just fun to remind ourselves to crap on our rivals sometimes.

Good post.

How shocking another "Rangers Suck" discussion :rolleyes:

It is a complex at face value and that's what you're judged by. Fans thinking about the Rangers while the Devils aren't even playing them. If you want to chant how much the NYR suck, go buy tickets to their games and tell them.

But the problem is it's endlessly amusing to the teenage/college fan group (these are the primary ones doing it) therefore it continues. However, anyone who chants "Rangers Suck" while the Devils play the Panthers, Sabres, Senators, et al., is a clown. Twice the clown when the Rangers are a better team, both on the ice and in the standings.

You never see the Rangers fans chant "Potvin Sucks" while they play anyone but the Islanders. Now, that's directed at a person rather then a team, but the point is it's silly to direct a chant to anyone but the team/player.

You never see the Rangers fans chant "Potvin Sucks" while they play anyone but the Islanders. Now, that's directed at a person rather then a team, but the point is it's silly to direct a chant to anyone but the team/player.

The Rangers fan do that chant every single game, no matter who they are playing.

The Rangers fan do that chant every single game, no matter who they are playing.

I was at three of their games last season (inc. one Devils) and not once did i hear it. I'm sure there's some random drunk schmuck out of 18,200 who will yell it, but i do not see the concentrated effort and passion against random teams that Devils fans put into it.

I was at three of their games last season (inc. one Devils) and not once did i hear it. I'm sure there's some random drunk schmuck out of 18,200 who will yell it, but i do not see the concentrated effort and passion against random teams that Devils fans put into it.

I hear it on tv at almost every home game the Rangers play but ya I'm in the I don't care opinion of the chant. It's always going to be around and be done so there's no point in even talking about it. It's really a personal preference, I prefer to save it for the Rangers game as well.

I get all that. But like you said, 5 times a period while the Devils are losing is just overkill.

I agree. Five times per period while losing would be excessive. But it doesn't really happen that often. Or at least, that's not the norm. I say maybe once or twice per period at the most at a non-Rangers game would be the average, at least for the games I've been at.

I understand why you don't like it, and I agree that there are better chants that we should be doing instead. But I think the idea that this chant is born out of some inferiority complex we have for the Rangers is bogus. It's just a silly little chant about how we hate our rivals that people do because everybody knows it and it will make some noise in between "Let's go Devils" chants. I think you're making much more of it than is really there. Other teams do similar things too, it's not like this is only a NJ thing.

I agree. Five times per period while losing would be excessive. But it doesn't really happen that often. Or at least, that's not the norm. I say maybe once or twice per period at the most at a non-Rangers game would be the average, at least for the games I've been at.

I understand why you don't like it, and I agree that there are better chants that we should be doing instead. But I think the idea that this chant is born out of some inferiority complex we have for the Rangers is bogus. It's just a silly little chant about how we hate our rivals that people do because everybody knows it and it will make some noise in between "Let's go Devils" chants. I think you're making much more of it than is really there. Other teams do similar things too, it's not like this is only a NJ thing.

Dude, you've done a better job articulating my stance on "Rangers Suck!" in this thread than I have in all the years I've been getting sucked into this thread. Nicely done.

Rangers suck.

Dude, you've done a better job articulating my stance on "Rangers Suck!" in this thread than I have in all the years I've been getting sucked into this thread. Nicely done.

Rangers suck.

Haha, thanks DIG. :cheers:

It's definitely an issue that I can see both sides on, but at the end of the day, it's just 5-10 seconds of whistling and three words, how much damage to our reputation could it possibly do? I think we have bigger problems regarding the fans (or lack there of) in our arena, but that's an argument for another (million) threads.

They seem to be very, very loud supporters of the home team and not at all looking to create any friction in that regard. I would guess they will cheer particularly loudly for Marty, given that he is Quebecois. Expect lots of love heading to Marty especially.

There will be 2100 of them psyched to be here - they are coming looking to party in the best NHL arena and have the best possible time they can. They are definitely not going to be looking to stir up crap and miss the buses home. It's in everyone's best interests to be friendly and cheer on the Devils together. I really don't see why Devils fans in attendance would feel somehow threatened by them ... I don't mind sharing what would almost certainly be empty seats with other die hard hockey fans who will be cheering on our team.

I've been looking forward to this game for a few months -- and especially moreso once I knew the Devils weren't going to make the playoffs. Basically I just wanted to be able to go to the last home game of the season and cheer on our players, and show them some love, even though this was not a good year. Hopefully, a lot of other Devs fans had the same thing in mind -- to really show some "appreciation" of our team on Fan Appreciation Day.

So when I heard about all these Nordiques fans coming here, I admit I felt immediate disappointment, thinking that they were just going to come in here and cause a huge distraction with a lot of pro-Nordiques chants and muddy up any good-vibe messages we wanted to give our boys before they break for the off-season.

But if what you say is true, that the Nordiques fans will be coming to cheer our team and celebrate hockey, then maybe it won't be bad afterall. ... I hope your right.

I've been looking forward to this game for a few months -- and especially moreso once I knew the Devils weren't going to make the playoffs. Basically I just wanted to be able to go to the last home game of the season and cheer on our players, and show them some love, even though this was not a good year. Hopefully, a lot of other Devs fans had the same thing in mind -- to really show some "appreciation" of our team on Fan Appreciation Day.

I mean I see all these posts about how we're gonna send off the boys in style, but then I hear the crowd booing at the end of Retro Night when the team had just come off the big winning streak and played well without scoring - and I really doubt a non-playoff year is going to be a lovey-dovey sendoff unless perhaps the team finishes above .500. I could easily picture them finishing under .500, losing the last game and getting booed off the ice but that's the cynic in me.

And quite honestly the only one 'I' want to cheer is Lemaire (and Parise I suppose)...I mean the rest of the team - kids exempted - wasn't exactly coming close to earning their checks the last half of last season and the first half of this year.

i just dont see what the big deal is. we have only had two sellouts this year so its not like this game was going to be any different. If fans are coming to the game and aren't rooting against the Devils who cares? I would rather have Nordique fans than Bruins fans

What two sellouts? All the Rangers games have been sellouts, as well as Opening Night and Retro Night at least. That's five, with maybe one or two more spliced in as well. And judging by the secondary market prices this one would have been a sellout as well, with or without the 'invasion'.

Edited by NJDevs4978

What two sellouts? All the Rangers games have been sellouts, as well as Opening Night and Retro Night at least. That's five, with maybe one or two more spliced in as well. And judging by the secondary market prices this one would have been a sellout as well, with or without the 'invasion'.

Retro night was listed as a sellout? Seemed a little bit emptier this year than last year and have basically the same seats.

I also heard Opening Night was close to a sellout, but not quite. What was the official attendance?

Finally, we all know how the Devils are notorious with playing around with numbers when it comes to game attenance, so I am just naturally skeptical when we sell out more than a couple of games a season.

All teams play around with attendance numbers...go see a "sellout" in Philly. If you add 50 club seats to make it a sellout, it's no big deal...if Philly can get away with 1,000 empty seats we can get away with a few overpriced clubs being vacant.

The NYI and Pittsburgh games were sellouts a few weeks ago, and the 1PM Flyers game also was. Just off the top of my head. Sharks drew a little over 17,000.

I said two because i was being lenient. The only legitimate sell out i know of this year was the Thrashers game on the 15th, and the only reason i say that is because Kevin Clark announced it during a play stoppage

Retro night was listed as a sellout? Seemed a little bit emptier this year than last year and have basically the same seats.

I also heard Opening Night was close to a sellout, but not quite. What was the official attendance?

Finally, we all know how the Devils are notorious with playing around with numbers when it comes to game attenance, so I am just naturally skeptical when we sell out more than a couple of games a season.

Opening night was a sellout: 17628. And every team is 'playing around" with numbers

Opening night was a sellout: 17628. And every team is 'playing around" with numbers

True, but the Devils are one of the worst offenders. I have been to games were both balconies are almost entirely empty save maybe 50-100 people in them and they still announce 14-15 thousand.

True, but the Devils are one of the worst offenders. I have been to games were both balconies are almost entirely empty save maybe 50-100 people in them and they still announce 14-15 thousand.

Just because a seat is empty doesn't mean that ticket isn't sold or bought. Question is why do they announce 5,000 during blizzard games when there were way more tickets sold than that.

Just because a seat is empty doesn't mean that ticket isn't sold or bought. Question is why do they announce 5,000 during blizzard games when there were way more tickets sold than that.

If that is the case, then how come the Devils have many games where it is "sold out" but no fans are there to fill the seats? When I see a sellout at other teams arenas, there is literally only standing room left. I knew a lot of our fans were terrible, but now they are really sh!tty.

If that is the case, then how come the Devils have many games where it is "sold out" but no fans are there to fill the seats? When I see a sellout at other teams arenas, there is literally only standing room left. I knew a lot of our fans were terrible, but now they are really sh!tty.

Because they choose not to go. It's like that everywhere except in certain markets.

Hi guys,

We will see each other at the game, I am among the ±2000 fans who will make the trip down to Newark for the game on April 10th.

First of all, let me ensure you that our main goal is simply to let Bettman know once more that we are crazy about hockey, and that if close to 2000 fans can drive 600 miles to watch one impact-less game, imagine how quick we could fill our brand new arena and purchase lots of NHL goods. Our mayor officially announced the construction of a 400M arena that will open in 2015 and a well know Canadian businessman Pierre-Karl Peladeau, owner of a multibillion multinational telecom company, did not hide his excitement to become a NHL team owner. His intentions are crystal clear.

You also need to know that as we did in Long Island, we will cheer for the home team and we will take every opportunity to make noise. It is a party after all right? You certainly know already but a few Quebecers play for your team. We will be cheering for them and for every other Devils. It is sad that your team will not do the playoffs this year, but in another way, that is better for us because as one of you mentioned, we will not take away tickets that would be sold to Devils fans...

On the other hand, you would not see that here... Imagine how simple it was for "Le Reve Sportif" to purchase 2000 tickets for a single game only 2 months prior to the game. That is abnormal. In Montreal or Toronto, or in every other hockey markets in Canada, you cannot get ticket that easily because there is an actual demand for them. It seems more and more obvious for us that a team must come back to us after a little break. We have more citizens, our economy is better, the USD and Canadian dollar are even, and there is a real government/city/citizen belief in this project.

Finally, I need to say that when you see people wearing the Nordiques shirt, it does not mean it is the Nordiques Nation although we encourage everyone to wear that beautiful fleurdelisé shirt. We only had 3 official trips since the foundation a few months ago: Long Island, Montreal, and now Newark.

We are peaceful but loud people. We just want to have a good time and again, show everybody at the NHL offices that we can be the best crowd.

Vincent, former and future Nordiques fan

I mean I see all these posts about how we're gonna send off the boys in style, but then I hear the crowd booing at the end of Retro Night when the team had just come off the big winning streak and played well without scoring - and I really doubt a non-playoff year is going to be a lovey-dovey sendoff unless perhaps the team finishes above .500. I could easily picture them finishing under .500, losing the last game and getting booed off the ice but that's the cynic in me.

And quite honestly the only one 'I' want to cheer is Lemaire (and Parise I suppose)...I mean the rest of the team - kids exempted - wasn't exactly coming close to earning their checks the last half of last season and the first half of this year.

I'm not sure what to tell you other than I can't control what our other fans do. All I know is that I will be cheering that night as I always do.

Hi guys,

We will see each other at the game, I am among the ±2000 fans who will make the trip down to Newark for the game on April 10th.

First of all, let me ensure you that our main goal is simply to let Bettman know once more that we are crazy about hockey, and that if close to 2000 fans can drive 600 miles to watch one impact-less game, imagine how quick we could fill our brand new arena and purchase lots of NHL goods. Our mayor officially announced the construction of a 400M arena that will open in 2015 and a well know Canadian businessman Pierre-Karl Peladeau, owner of a multibillion multinational telecom company, did not hide his excitement to become a NHL team owner. His intentions are crystal clear.

You also need to know that as we did in Long Island, we will cheer for the home team and we will take every opportunity to make noise. It is a party after all right? You certainly know already but a few Quebecers play for your team. We will be cheering for them and for every other Devils. It is sad that your team will not do the playoffs this year, but in another way, that is better for us because as one of you mentioned, we will not take away tickets that would be sold to Devils fans...

On the other hand, you would not see that here... Imagine how simple it was for "Le Reve Sportif" to purchase 2000 tickets for a single game only 2 months prior to the game. That is abnormal. In Montreal or Toronto, or in every other hockey markets in Canada, you cannot get ticket that easily because there is an actual demand for them. It seems more and more obvious for us that a team must come back to us after a little break. We have more citizens, our economy is better, the USD and Canadian dollar are even, and there is a real government/city/citizen belief in this project.

Finally, I need to say that when you see people wearing the Nordiques shirt, it does not mean it is the Nordiques Nation although we encourage everyone to wear that beautiful fleurdelisé shirt. We only had 3 official trips since the foundation a few months ago: Long Island, Montreal, and now Newark.

We are peaceful but loud people. We just want to have a good time and again, show everybody at the NHL offices that we can be the best crowd.

Vincent, former and future Nordiques fan

Nice post.