What was the best trade in Devils history?

Devilsfan118

Great thread. Haven't read through it all yet, but there are some great trades to choose from. Kurvers to Toronto for their 1st that turned out to be Nieds is my personal favorite, but the Kovy trade is certainly in the discussion. How about Troy Crowder for Randy McKay? That was a great deal too.

Getting McKay was actually compensation for Crowder. Devils asked for Bob Probert and lost to get "stuck" with Dave Barr and Randy McKay

Getting McKay was actually compensation for Crowder. Devils asked for Bob Probert and lost to get "stuck" with Dave Barr and Randy McKay

. Ah, that's right- forgot about that. Man, the system was so much different back then with RFA's and compensation for signing them. It would've been cool if we had NJDevs back then, there would've been some great discussions.

. Guerin was a little bitch about his contract, and got in a couple of different pissing matches with Lou if memory serves. There was a reason we called him Dollar Bill.

Yeah his agent made claims about how the Devils' style of play stifled Guerin's numbers. Meanwhile dummy Guerin had had a rotten playoff and his dumbness cost the Devils the biggest goal in the playoffs (game tying goal in Game 4). I was overjoyed about that trade even though I'd heard Edmonton fans moaning about Arnott.

The Tom Kurvers trade to Toronto is No. 1, but there are so many trades over the years that the Devils made out on compared to those they clearly lost. These 2 threads show how good Lou really has been over the years, although his cap management (especially in the beginning) left something to be desired.

My father knew Kurvers a little bit when he played here and I remember, after the trade came down, how upset Kurvers was. He loved playing here and didn't want to go, but it couldn't have possibly worked out better for this organization.

In 1990 The Devils traded the No. 11 pick and No. 32 pick in the draft to the Calgary Flames for the 20th, 24th and 29th picks. Calgary moved up to draft Trevor Kidd and Vesa Viitakoski. New Jersey drafted Martin Brodeur, David Harlock and Chris Gotziaman.

I wouldn't count that, and if anything, it was an unwarranted gamble on Lou's part. Devils traded down, and Brodeur was still available.

. Ah, that's right- forgot about that. Man, the system was so much different back then with RFA's and compensation for signing them. It would've been cool if we had NJDevs back then, there would've been some great discussions.

IIRC correctly, the RFA compensation system was similar in that the aggrieved team was only supposed to get draft picks. The reason why the Devils were awarded a player in compensation for Stevens at least was because the Blues had traded too many of their future first round picks. I'm not sure what happens now when a team signs an RFA, but the first rounders aren't available. RFA offer sheets are rare enough that I don't know if the situation has even arisen in recent years.

IIRC correctly, the RFA compensation system was similar in that the aggrieved team was only supposed to get draft picks. The reason why the Devils were awarded a player in compensation for Stevens at least was because the Blues had traded too many of their future first round picks. I'm not sure what happens now when a team signs an RFA, but the first rounders aren't available. RFA offer sheets are rare enough that I don't know if the situation has even arisen in recent years.

You have to have all the necessary picks in order to sign an RFA. You can't sign one without them, nor can you trade your picks and then trade back for your picks to sign an RFA.

Morrison + Pederson for Alex Mogilny I would say is up there in regards to this talk of "Most important trade in the history of the New Jersey Devils". I'm shocked that wasn't mentioned yet.

important yes, but i'm not counting that because they gave up plenty to get mogilny. morrison had a pretty good career and pederson was serviceable for years.

Hmm, no love for Zidlickly for el garbo? Foster, Palmieri, Velluix and a pick?

Great trade, in my opinion. He wasn't much of a force during Kings series but really did his thing the first few rounds. Can't wait to see how he welds himself even further to the Devils style of play this season.

If Zidlicky can play at the same level for a few more years and re-signs at a reasonable price than it is a great trade. We always needed a defenseman like him.

But thats without the discussion of our current logjam on D and who gets a spot for the next few years.

Edited by Zubie#8

Morrison + Pederson for Alex Mogilny I would say is up there in regards to this talk of "Most important trade in the history of the New Jersey Devils". I'm shocked that wasn't mentioned yet.

Yeah I loved this trade, Mogilny made that offense so dynamic. Those were some of the most fun years to be a Devils fan.

Also, Sykora for Tverdovsky and Friesen ended up being huge.

It wasn't just Sykora for Tverdovsky and Friesen. It was:

http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_team/New_Jersey_Devils/3

Devils trade

Sykora, J-F Damphousse, Mike Commodore, rights to Igor Pohanka

Ducks trade

Friesen, Tverdovsky, Maxim Balmochynykh

The Ducks under Bryan Murray then traded Commodore and J-F Damphousse for Rob Niedermayer 6 months later

http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_player/Commodore,Mike

This of course allowed Brian Burke after Murray resigned to sign Scott Niedermayer when he became a UFA in June 2005. So that trade is indirectly responsible for Niedermayer leaving the Devils. Maybe Murray acquires Rob with other players and picks, but the fact that he used two players who used to be in the Devils system to get Rob Niedermayer always stung me.

This of course allowed Brian Burke after Murray resigned to sign Scott Niedermayer when he became a UFA in June 2005. So that trade is indirectly responsible for Niedermayer leaving the Devils. Maybe Murray acquires Rob with other players and picks, but the fact that he used two players who used to be in the Devils system to get Rob Niedermayer always stung me.

tumblr_lo664yz2a41qbj4zfo1_400.gif

Wow...had never even considered this before.

Edited by Devilsfan118