201 replies to this topic

#161 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,881 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:45 PM

Re Jake Long, I wouldn't franchise him, but the effort has to be made to re-sign him unless the injuries are a real problem.

Martin's strength, or relative lack thereof, is a huge concern.

. Martin needs to bulk up, that's indisputable. The fact that Aldon Smith only used him as a stepping stone to Tannehill once though is encouraging. He was a very good left tackle in college, and has played that position his whole life. I think he can be a solid left tackle. If we franchise Long, that's $15 mil for one season. No. fvcking. Way. In. Hell. But the only way he comes back is if we pay him 10, which I'm not willing to do- I'm afraid Ireland is though. That scares me.

Edited by MadDog2020, 12 December 2012 - 04:55 PM.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#162 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,935 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

In four games, Henne has as many touchdown passes as Tannehill, playing for an offense that is worse at every single skill position.

Cecil Shorts and Justin Blackmon are miles better than any Fins receiver. Miami's receivers are barely better than the Jets, and the Jets' WR's wouldn't start on a lot of college teams. I do think Tanneyhill deserves the chance to see what he can do with an actual NFL offense.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#163 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,530 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

. Martin needs to bulk up, that's indisputable. The fact that Aldon Smith only used him as a stepping stone to Tannehill once though is encouraging. He was a very good left tackle in college, and has played that position his whole life. I think he can be a solid left tackle. If we franchise Long, that's $15 mil for one season. No. fvcking. Way. In. Hell.

I think about it a little more, franchising Long might not be the worst thing in the world. $15 million is a lot of money, but it's also only one year. It all depends on what has to be spent on filling out the rest of the roster and what it'll cost to get a good receiver in here.

I'd rather take the huge cap hit for one year, and see what we have. Long has declined in the past year, no doubt about it. All things being equal though, I wouldn't want to cut bait if we don't have to.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#164 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,881 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

I think about it a little more, franchising Long might not be the worst thing in the world. $15 million is a lot of money, but it's also only one year. It all depends on what has to be spent on filling out the rest of the roster and what it'll cost to get a good receiver in here.

I'd rather take the huge cap hit for one year, and see what we have. Long has declined in the past year, no doubt about it. All things being equal though, I wouldn't want to cut bait if we don't have to.

. I can't justify that for Jake Long for even one season- not the way he's declined. We have other guys to sign too- Starks, Smith, Hartline... I don't want almost 1/3 of the cap space we have to be dedicated to a declining, oft-injured offensive lineman. If I'm Ireland, I offer 2 years $6 mil plus performance/playing time bonuses. If he doesn't like it, he can get his money from some other sucker.

#165 gogonjdevil

gogonjdevil

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

I don't quite understand the Tannehill hate. Bess is not a good WR at all. It seems like he's consistently running the wrong routes and he's always running backwards. Hartline is good...but he's also the only one trying 99% of the time...and he has a hard time getting open. Tanny has to make obscenely difficult throws sometimes...and he does. It's also a lot harder to score in the Red Zone...that's why they call it the Red Zone. It's a shorter field and not many options. And when you really only have 2 receivers who can do anything, an entire defense can cover them...and our o-line has an incredibly difficult time opening holes so the running game is hardly a threat.

Also...I will throw up if they resign long for a 10mil a year or franchise him for 15. That's insanity. We need a WR, we need a CB and we need a TE. It's gonna take a lot to fill the holes...and I'm more than happy to let Long walk to fill other needs.

believe-mb30.jpg
gallery_47_36_882.png of ALL Devil's Fans' Hatred and Animosity toward Bettman!
I HOPE YOU GET A DISFIGURING DISEASE AND HAVE TO GO THROUGH LIFE LOOKING LIKE A TROLL, BETTMAN. Oh...TOO LATE!!

#166 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,530 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

I don't quite understand the Tannehill hate. Bess is not a good WR at all. It seems like he's consistently running the wrong routes and he's always running backwards. Hartline is good...but he's also the only one trying 99% of the time...and he has a hard time getting open. Tanny has to make obscenely difficult throws sometimes...and he does. It's also a lot harder to score in the Red Zone...that's why they call it the Red Zone. It's a shorter field and not many options. And when you really only have 2 receivers who can do anything, an entire defense can cover them...and our o-line has an incredibly difficult time opening holes so the running game is hardly a threat.

Also...I will throw up if they resign long for a 10mil a year or franchise him for 15. That's insanity. We need a WR, we need a CB and we need a TE. It's gonna take a lot to fill the holes...and I'm more than happy to let Long walk to fill other needs.

However bad you think Tannehill's supporting cast is, he should have more than 8 touchdown passes at this point if you want to be optimistic about the future. You could cut a rookie QB some slack if this were 10-15 years ago. But the rules today basically guarantee a WR separation or a flag. Even a rookie QB, especially one that's supposed to be as smart as Tannehill ought to be able to take advantage of that.
Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#167 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,260 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

However bad you think Tannehill's supporting cast is, he should have more than 8 touchdown passes at this point if you want to be optimistic about the future. You could cut a rookie QB some slack if this were 10-15 years ago. But the rules today basically guarantee a WR separation or a flag. Even a rookie QB, especially one that's supposed to be as smart as Tannehill ought to be able to take advantage of that.

That has a lot to do with play calling and the Fins are a run first team. Tannehill has potential I would not throw him under the bus yet.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#168 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,881 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:38 PM

. The reason Tannehill has 8 TD passes isn't because he sucks- its because the Dolphins score tons of rushing TD's from the 1 and the 2 yard line. The Dolphins as a team have a total of 12 rushing TD's (5 for Bush, 4 for Thomas, 2 for Lane, 1 for Lamar Miller). A lot of those TD's were 1 and 2 yard runs. This happens by (to steal Hank Stram's words) matriculating the football down the field. Tannheill MOVES THE FOOTBALL. I keep telling you stats don't tell the whole story, yet everytime you want to criticize Tannehill, you resort to stats. fvck the stats. Watch the game and pay attention.

#169 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,530 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

Bench him now. Perhaps it might be a message that starting actually requires results. Whatever the end result, it's blatantly obvious that Tannehill is not worthy of being a starting QB in the NFL. At least not now.

Edit. Ok maybe not

Edited by Daniel, 16 December 2012 - 03:39 PM.

Posted Image

#170 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,881 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:44 PM

Bench him now. Perhaps it might be a message that starting actually requires results. Whatever the end result, it's blatantly obvious that Tannehill is not worthy of being a starting QB in the NFL. At least not now.

Edit. Ok maybe not

. Hmm, 22-28 220 and 2 TD's? Yeah, maybe not.

#171 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,881 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

Oh also- 54 yards rushing on 6 carries for Tannehill. 9 yards per tote. Not too bad, I'd say.

#172 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,530 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

Oh also- 54 yards rushing on 6 carries for Tannehill. 9 yards per tote. Not too bad, I'd say.

They should try and open up things for him to run with the ball I agree.
Posted Image

#173 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,881 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:05 PM

They should try and open up things for him to run with the ball I agree.

. I stand corrected- it was 8 carries for 52 yards. Still very good.

#174 estreetcrew3

estreetcrew3

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

Daniel please invite me over to smoke whatever you're taking hits from.
Posted Image Section 209 at the Rock
Estreet crew Blog ------> http://estreetskate.blogspot.com/

#175 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,530 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:07 AM

Daniel please invite me over to smoke whatever you're taking hits from.

Just Marlboro Lites every so often.
Posted Image

#176 estreetcrew3

estreetcrew3

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:56 PM

Its amazing that we're still in the playoff hunt, Never would have thought in the beginning of this season that we would have a meaningful game in week 16. Fins Up!
Posted Image Section 209 at the Rock
Estreet crew Blog ------> http://estreetskate.blogspot.com/

#177 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,260 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:03 PM

What is with Thomas the RB they drafted so high a few years ago. Is he a bust?
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#178 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,881 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:02 AM

What is with Thomas the RB they drafted so high a few years ago. Is he a bust?

. Thomas is the definition of an underachiever, in addition to being made of glass. He got hurt again the other day. Not to mention he seems to have finally fallen out of favor with Philbin, as the last couple weeks Lamar Miller has been getting all of Thomas&amp;#39; carries. <br /><br />

Its amazing that we&amp;#39;re still in the playoff hunt, Never would have thought in the beginning of this season that we would have a meaningful game in week 16. Fins Up&amp;#33;

. It would take the miracle to end all miracles for us to get in. I don't even think most of the football-consuming public knows we're still alive.

Edited by MadDog2020, 19 December 2012 - 02:13 AM.

#179 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,260 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

. Thomas is the definition of an underachiever, in addition to being made of glass. He got hurt again the other day. Not to mention he seems to have finally fallen out of favor with Philbin, as the last couple weeks Lamar Miller has been getting all of Thomas&amp;#39; carries.

I just saw Thomas is on the IR again.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#180 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,452 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

It would take the miracle to end all miracles for us to get in. I don't even think most of the football-consuming public knows we're still alive.

1. They must win both of their games, vs. Buffalo and at New England….
2. Cincinnati must lose at Pittsburgh and vs. Baltimore…..
3. Pittsburgh must lose vs. Cleveland…
4. The New York Jets must lose one of two against San Diego or Miami

….hell stranger HAS happened….
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users