Ideas for camp (Optimistic side)

Jas0nMacIsaac

Who are some players you want to see traded for, signed or even invited to camp if there is a season. Lets say Kovalchuk, Zajac, Elias, Henrique, and Zubrus are locks for the top 6 while Josefson and Clarkson will be on the 3rd line.

Marco Sturm - A good possession player who had horrendous shooting luck last year. Had an effective playoffs and would fill some of the void left by Ponikarovski. Still an unsigned UFA so he could be had for cheap. Used to be a blazer who loved to shoot the puck.

Ryan Shannon - I suppose Bobby Butler and Scott Parse make this unlikely but another possession player who had terrible luck last season. He hasn't been signed and would be a terrific camp tryout under DeBoer.

Devon Setoguchi - I see him falling out of favor with Minnesota very soon. He had good season considering the mess that was Minnesota and was very unlucky 5 on 5. Heatley, Parise, Koivu, Bouchard, Cullen and possibly Granlund. Setoguchi could be a Friesen type trade for this team.

BTW, I'm bored.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved Devon Setoguchi when he was on the Sharks. Didn't really watch a lot of Wild games last year but I think he'd be a great addition to this team. What do you think Minnesota would want for him? Also if you are talking about the Kostitsyn that I think you are - he went to the KHL a while back.

I'll continue to beat the dead horse - Gomez. If he is bought out of course, signing him for >$1M would be a good bet. Another power play option we could toss out and provide depth to the third and fourth lines.

Maybe he comes in motivated for once in his life trying to restart his career.

I'd also be a fan of doing whatever it takes to rid ourselves of Volchenkov. To see Greene or Tally have to go because we have him locked up would be upsetting.

Also, man, really wish we could go back on that Halischuk trade. He would fit right in the bottom six here, especially in this system.

I loved Devon Setoguchi when he was on the Sharks. Didn't really watch a lot of Wild games last year but I think he'd be a great addition to this team. What do you think Minnesota would want for him? Also if you are talking about the Kostitsyn that I think you are - he went to the KHL a while back.

Andrei? Ah didnt know that.

I still think Eric Fehr is worth a shot, provided it's on the cheap. As long as he's expected to fill a void like Ponikarovsky, he could be a value-add. If nothing else, he's proven NHL depth. His 20+ goal season is well in the past, but he's shown a willingness to play the body more. He's gotta provide more scoring pop than last season, that's for sure.

Ryan Shannon would be a great kid to watch in camp. Both he and Bobby Bulter had more prolific careers in Hockey East than little Gio, and look how well he worked out last year. PDB has proven to me that he's an expert at putting players in spots where they can find success, superstar or not. I think many of us around here would agree that our depth carried us just as often as (if not more often than) our stars last year. Not saying that we need 2 lines of mediocre NHL talent, but a tryout can't really hurt.

And obviously, Lou has a strong connection to Hockey East, and we've had other successful US college players in the past so I'd trust his judgement on this one. I also think (not 100%) than Shannon and Butler were both captains of their teams, BC and UNH.

• 2 weeks later...

Time to reopen this topic seeing that we maybe moving closer to camp. I have a feeling 2nd line LW/RW will be our main hole depending what wing Zubrus plays on. As of right now I see Pesonen taking the 3rd line LW job.

I like Pesonen but I don't think he's an NHL player right now. Although I guess I could see the Devils putting Carter on the 3rd line and Pesonen on the 4th.

Either way, you know we are in slight trouble when there are two holes in the top 9 with no imediate replacement. Could NJ go the grinder method and hope to win games with under 50 total shots?

The future for NJ rests in defense because they are bare up front.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

Either way, you know we are in slight trouble when there are two holes in the top 9 with no imediate replacement. Could NJ go the grinder method and hope to win games with under 50 total shots?

Maybe they are banking as Sykora as one of them. I hope not

I'll continue to beat the dead horse - Gomez. If he is bought out of course, signing him for >$1M would be a good bet. Another power play option we could toss out and provide depth to the third and fourth lines.

Maybe he comes in motivated for once in his life trying to restart his career.

I'd also be a fan of doing whatever it takes to rid ourselves of Volchenkov. To see Greene or Tally have to go because we have him locked up would be upsetting.

Also, man, really wish we could go back on that Halischuk trade. He would fit right in the bottom six here, especially in this system.

Gomez won't get bought out this season. Why have a cap hit for 4 years when you eat another year and only buyout and get a 2 year hit instead? Plus I don't know if they are that close to the cap anyway that they couldn't hold onto it.

What teams don't have at least two holes in the top 9? Very few I'd guess.

What teams don't have at least two holes in the top 9? Very few I'd guess.

I would say many don't have the type of holes New Jersey has. Even if they do they have youngsters who could fill those holes. New Jersey is bare for prosepects. Tedenby is a half a year from going back to Sweden.

What about that guy playing with Kovy in the KHL right now? Tikhonov?

There was a thread on HF suggesting NJ go after him and Phoenix fans seemed pretty open to a reasonable trade.

Too bad the fans don't get to decide if he's traded! ;-)

Who are some players you want to see traded for, signed or even invited to camp if there is a season. Lets say Kovalchuk, Zajac, Elias, Henrique, and Zubrus are locks for the top 6 while Josefson and Clarkson will be on the 3rd line.

Marco Sturm - A good possession player who had horrendous shooting luck last year. Had an effective playoffs and would fill some of the void left by Ponikarovski. Still an unsigned UFA so he could be had for cheap. Used to be a blazer who loved to shoot the puck.

Ryan Shannon - I suppose Bobby Butler and Scott Parse make this unlikely but another possession player who had terrible luck last season. He hasn't been signed and would be a terrific camp tryout under DeBoer.

Devon Setoguchi - I see him falling out of favor with Minnesota very soon. He had good season considering the mess that was Minnesota and was very unlucky 5 on 5. Heatley, Parise, Koivu, Bouchard, Cullen and possibly Granlund. Setoguchi could be a Friesen type trade for this team.

BTW, I'm bored.

i dont think the wild should trade cause i'd be surprised to know how many games Koivu, Bouchard and Granlund would play together... those guys are made of glass and are always injured

For what he got paid last year (league minimum? or 750K?), Sykora did a great job for us putting up 21 goals. He slowed down toward the end and DeBoer did the right thing benching him a couple nights.

Won't hurt if we bring him back again this year for 15-18 goals and league minimum. We're paying a few fighters more, and we don't hesitate to scratch them when we don't need them. Sykora's a nice card to be able to play, if he looks like he's healthy and ready to go at camp..

I don't think Sykora is "done" yet as in Bobby Holik done. Sure he slowed down later in the season, but he is an older forward. Still put up 21 goals.

I think he could still put up a 20-25 goal pace in a shortened season

http://www.arcticice...rcentage-vs-age

I don't like this trend. Sykora was one of only a few players over 35 who had a better shooting percentage last season than his career average. (I can't find that stat unfortunately but I know I read it somewhere). It would take only a minor decrease in shots per game and a drop in shooting percentage, suddenly Sykora's ice time is getting taken because he's 'in a slump' and all of the sudden Sykora's a 10-15 over 82 games goal scorer. I don't think he should be part of the team, there are younger players around who are a better bet (like Bobby Butler, for instance).

Edited by Triumph

Did anyone see this on Huselius' wiki page?

http://en.wikipedia....istian_Huselius

Suspension due to sex scandal

In 2005, Huselius and fellow Swedish hockey players Henrik Tallinder and Andreas Lilja were investigated on suspicion of sexual exploitation. In March 2005, all three players were suspended from the Swedish national team for one year, with Huselius and Tallinder being released by Swedish club Linköping and Lilja being suspended by Swedish club Mora for the rest of the season.[3]

On February 9, 2005, a 22-year-old woman accused the trio of raping her. Two days later, police dropped their investigation due to a lack of evidence. However, a special prosecutor reopened the case in March, leading to the suspensions.[4] Huselius and the others were cleared in June of that year after a special prosecutor ruled there was no evidence they forced the woman to have sex.[5]

I only bring it up because it involves Tallinder and I hadn't heard about it before.

[edit]

Edited by Jerzey Devil