GDT, the 2013 Finale: Devils @ Broadway Blowhards

MadDog2020

This is the worst season you've watched, huh? Did you miss out two years ago? You probably weren't watching, seeing as you've made it abundantly clear you're a fair weather fan.

And seriously, do yourself and everyone else here a favor, and don't come back next year. You've never contributed a single useful thing to this forum, and it's damn annoying seeing you whine for attention game after game.

Oh you mean the other year we didn't make the playoffs?

Oh I watched.

The team went on an incredible run and played 10x better than this years team despite having the same result at the end.

What was the reason for them not making the playoffs that year?

Bad coaching.

This year?

Same thing and also the void that was never filled when Parise left.

Not a huge surprised both years the team is without Parise they don't make the playoffs.

Kovalchuk is depended upon way too much and he's NOT that type of player.

We thought we were getting Ovechkin and we were wrong.

Oh you mean the other year we didn't make the playoffs?

Oh I watched.

The team went on an incredible run and played 10x better than this years team despite having the same result at the end.

What was the reason for them not making the playoffs that year?

Bad coaching.

This year?

Same thing and also the void that was never filled when Parise left.

Not a huge surprised both years the team is without Parise they don't make the playoffs.

Kovalchuk is depended upon way too much and he's NOT that type of player.

We thought we were getting Ovechkin and we were wrong.

Get off the the bad coach nonsense. Deboer is a very good coach, best thing that happened to the devils in a long time. He didnt have the firepower on offense this year, add that to shaky goaltending and it was a mediocre year.

Who the hell expected him to be Ovechkin?...and you fail to mention that the incredible run in 2011 was without Parise.

Edited by Zubie#8

Get off the the bad coach nonsense. Deboer is a very good coach, best thing that happened to the devils in a long time. He didnt have the firepower on offense this year, add that to shaky goaltending and it was a mediocre year.

Who the hell expected him to be Ovechkin?...and you fail to mention that the incredible run in 2011 was without Parise.

he didnt say that Deboer is a bad coach he said they missed the 2010 playoffs because of bad coaching (which is true)...

but anyway... just ignore him there's no point

Edited by SterioDesign

he didnt say that Deboer is a bad coach he said they missed the 2010 playoffs because of bad coaching (which is true)...

but anyway... just ignore him there's no point

He mentioned bad coaching in 2010 then he said 'this year?' and answered 'same thing' so I'll take that as a shot at Pete and he ripped him for the entire season anyways. Some of these 'fans' are just crazy. Imagine being an Islander fan.

He mentioned bad coaching in 2010 then he said 'this year?' and answered 'same thing' so I'll take that as a shot at Pete and he ripped him for the entire season anyways. Some of these 'fans' are just crazy. Imagine being an Islander fan.

ah k yeah youre right. 

Guys, losing today is probably the best thing that could have happened. As crappy as it was to hear the Rangers chants and to even lose to them in the finale was annoying.

I hope next year with a strong showing from the youth we forget about this season quickly.

Per TG: "The hope is that the Devils will bounce back quickly and be right back in the playoff hunt next season. There are no certainties in this business, however, with a salary cap to deal with, a team budget and a host of key unrestricted free agents to make decisions on, including Patrik Elias, David Clarkson and Dainius Zubrus."

This is TG, but it's worth pointing out because this isn't something to take lightly. I've seen a certain few regulars here foolishly dismiss the fact that this team is operating under some kind of internal budget. The idea that they are going to go out and spend major money (or even moderately) this Summer on outside FA's is a foolish thought and a setup for dissapointment. I'm on the fence that they will even sign their own FA's mentioned above. I'm going to say 2 of those 3 are gone. Clarkson is going to be grossly overpaid from someone for sure.

You don't go through debt and the refinancing thereof and then turn into a money spender like it all never existed and then re-tool FA wise or with the acquisition of other teams salary dumps. I'm not saying this is going to be a floor team, becuase they'd be committing suicide in the market and with the fan base, but i am a FIRM believer that this organization is not going to spend one cent on significant outside FA talent. They almost certainly are not going to be a top 10-12 payroll. They are going to sign training camp/amnesty projects on the cheap, sign their own youth, make shewd trades (like Loktionov) and rebuild through the draft because by the time they do, perhaps the debt will be paid down enough or another partner can be added to infuse capital sooner.

Edited by TheRedStorm

I've said we don't know if there's a team budget or what it is.  But it's obvious with a couple of Marty/Patty's comments in recent days there is one.  And assuming that's true don't expect any Volch buyout, among other things :P

But they have have HAVE to make a top six forward acquisition and not lose Elias.  Even if they lose Clarkson.  Otherwise don't expect things to be any different next year, they'll still be a bottom third offense with ancient goaltending and a defense they don't want to get younger.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Per TG: "The hope is that the Devils will bounce back quickly and be right back in the playoff hunt next season. There are no certainties in this business, however, with a salary cap to deal with, a team budget and a host of key unrestricted free agents to make decisions on, including Patrik Elias, David Clarkson and Dainius Zubrus."

This is TG, but it's worth pointing out because this isn't something to take lightly. I've seen a certain few regulars here foolishly dismiss the fact that this team is operating under some kind of internal budget. The idea that they are going to go out and spend major money (or even moderately) this Summer on outside FA's is a foolish thought and a setup for dissapointment. I'm on the fence that they will even sign their own FA's mentioned above. I'm going to say 2 of those 3 are gone. Clarkson is going to be grossly overpaid from someone for sure.

You don't go through debt and the refinancing thereof and then turn into a money spender like it all never existed and then re-tool FA wise or with the acquisition of other teams salary dumps. I'm not saying this is going to be a floor team, becuase they'd be committing suicide in the market and with the fan base, but i am a FIRM believer that this organization is not going to spend one cent on significant outside FA talent. They almost certainly are not going to be a top 10-12 payroll. They are going to sign training camp/amnesty projects on the cheap, sign their own youth, make shewd trades (like Loktionov) and rebuild through the draft because by the time they do, perhaps the debt will be paid down enough or another partner can be added to infuse capital sooner.

I had this feeling for a while now, and I think last season was the last shot this team will have for a few seasons till the smoke clears and everything is back in order. We cant overlook the fact that even though Kovi's cap hit is under 7 mil, his actual pay from the team is around 11 mil...and thats why the Devs are a little hancuffed for a few seasons.

(but then Lou shelled out some big monies to Trav, Marty, Sal etc so I'm a little confused)

I feel there is some potential in making a trade that could swap our 2nd round pick plus Volchenkov/Tallinder to move up into the 1st round and have 2 1sts. It would obviously occur with a team in need of a defenceman and that is drafting in a range when all the top tier dmen have been drafted. Could move up 20 spots if we can deal with the right match.

I had this feeling for a while now, and I think last season was the last shot this team will have for a few seasons till the smoke clears and everything is back in order. We cant overlook the fact that even though Kovi's cap hit is under 7 mil, his actual pay from the team is around 11 mil...and thats why the Devs are a little hancuffed for a few seasons.

(but then Lou shelled out some big monies to Trav, Marty, Sal etc so I'm a little confused)

They have to pay somebody. Just like a floor team does in comparison. The money has to be spent, so they figured why not invest in Zajac, who wants to be here, is still a young player and a top 6 forward. The terrible signing was Salvador. If this was anyone other then Lamoriello there might be a job lost. 

Don't mistake not spending money and not having money. If they had nothing, they'd be a floor team or close. They have money to spend, they just are on a budget and will spend to that budget. What they won't be is a cap team or a top 10-12 payroll which is going to limit the talent level they ice so they are going to have to develop talent and make shrewd moves and make sure they don't make a habit of dishing out terrible "legacy" deals dispite having to spend $ someplace.

The big question is, does Lamoriello stay on if he feels handcuffed or limited (if he isn't already)?

They have to pay somebody. Just like a floor team does in comparison. The money has to be spent, so they figured why not invest in Zajac, who wants to be here, is still a young player and a top 6 forward. The terrible signing was Salvador. If this was anyone other then Lamoriello there might be a job lost. 

Don't mistake not spending money and not having money. If they had nothing, they'd be a floor team or close. They have money to spend, they just are on a budget and will spend to that budget. What they won't be is a cap team or a top 10-12 payroll which is going to limit the talent level they ice so they are going to have to develop talent and make shrewd moves and make sure they don't make a habit of dishing out terrible "legacy" deals dispite having to spend $ someplace.

The big question is, does Lamoriello stay on if he feels handcuffed or limited (if he isn't already)?

I understand Lou not spending big on free agents....it's the letting our own FA talent get to July 1st all the time that bothers me, why cant he lock up a top player before they get boatloads of money offered to them.

Yeah, we'll see if Lou wants to remain GM if he's handcuffed in any way. I think next season will reveal alot about this organization.

Wow and the Devils finish in last.

Perfect ending to a horror story.

I've been a fan since 1990 and I've never recalled a team losing 6 games and then 10 games in a row ...so I don't understand how people are calling me crazy saying this team wasn't one of the worst ever.

I guess we should be thankful it was only a half season?

I mean this team could have ended up with 50 losses this year if you included shoot outs.

Scary.

Wow and the Devils finish in last.

Perfect ending to a horror story.

I've been a fan since 1990 and I've never recalled a team losing 6 games and then 10 games in a row ...so I don't understand how people are calling me crazy saying this team wasn't one of the worst ever.

I guess we should be thankful it was only a half season?

I mean this team could have ended up with 50 losses this year if you included shoot outs.

Scary.

Yes the team consistently losing 4-1 5-1 6-1 and 7-1 to the likes of the Thrashers while giving hat tricks out to the Eric Boultons of the NHL was so much better....

Take your glasses off, Devils gave up the fewest amount of shots for the entire season, if they had better goaltending and more offense they are a really good team. They are not that far off, thats why they were losing games by one goal and not getting blown out like a bad team would.

Edited by Zubie#8