If a trade is made (a d for a forward) which D would you trade and whi

caron14

I dont know if the Caps need any Dmen but Tallinder for Pearreault straight up would be a good deal. Both have two years left on their contracts. If the Caps keep sinking they might become good trade partners. I would also think Oates wouldnt mind seeing a familar face come his way in a trade from NJ. Might make sense for both parties depending what the Caps want.

EDIT: Ponikarovsky one assist in eight games. Get him back Lou!

Edited by Zubie#8

Does anyone think Buffalo would be a good trade partner and would we be interested in anyone on that team?

They are having defensive problems so far this year and maybe they would be interested in bringing Tallinder back. He had some good years there and he tutored Myers who is now struggling.

EDIT: Although we can use a big body Nathan Gerbe intrigues me. He can put up 40 points in a full season and he doesn't play like a small player (but my god he is small). He will also bring some speed which we need. Both Tallinder and Gerbe have 2 years left, Gerbe with a 1.45 cap hit.

Edited by Zubie#8

Does anyone think Buffalo would be a good trade partner and would we be interested in anyone on that team?

They are having defensive problems so far this year and maybe they would be interested in bringing Tallinder back. He had some good years there and he tutored Myers who is now struggling.

EDIT: Although we can use a big body Nathan Gerbe intrigues me. He can put up 40 points in a full season and he doesn't play like a small player (but my god he is small). He will also bring some speed which we need. Both Tallinder and Gerbe have 2 years left, Gerbe with a 1.45 cap hit.

No because you are mistaken. Buffalo are in the same boat we are in. You know who I think could make a good trading partner with us? The Jets. With Buff injured in Winnipeg & a weak bottom six D - maybe the Jets could use an extra D man.

With Burmy not doing that well there (I think he's in the AHL now) I think a change of scenery could do him some good. If he could live up to his potential then said trade would be a steal in the Devils favor. I really see Burmistrov...if he could ever get it together scoring like he did in his junior days with the Barrie Colts 22-25 goals easy. His potential to me says way more then someone who just scores 6 to 13 goals. If Tallinder is going to "just fetch an AHLer" then go after Burmistrov. I think he could be acquired at a cheaper price then expected. This isn't Evander Kane.

Edited by TheMazz

Yeah i love the way gerbe play i always notice him speed strengt and he's just playing like he is 6 foot 2 200 pound. I would love him here for sure.

My only concern is.... I want us to try Butler on more minute, i have the feeling he can bring us the same thing gerbe would bring us...

Edited by caron14

:argh: I just feel like this is all based on faulty logic.

Our D SUCKS! It's only in carrying this load that we have our bases close to being covered. Getting rid of one cog at this point in time, for all that we'd realistically get in return, would cause nothing but damage to the team as a whole. "Maybe Volchenkov will learn something from Stevens" is as valid as "maybe *insert middling forward here* will work out well on the team." "Can't be any worse" reasoning however, is WRONG - the D less one part CAN AND WILL be worse than it is now. Your return on our best middling Dman is you have a bunch of forwards who aren't superduper being asked to cover both ends of the ice. Getting rid of D for a forward will not solve our D problems. It's faulty logic. No team in need of defence will give up a serviceable two-way player for one sh!tty defenceman.

This thread reminds me of this weekends This American Life about Kid Logic whereby using perfectly valid logic, the absolute wrong conclusion is reached.

Edited by Pepperkorn

:argh: I just feel like this is all based on faulty logic.

Our D SUCKS! It's only in carrying this load that we have our bases close to being covered. Getting rid of one cog at this point in time, for all that we'd realistically get in return, would cause nothing but damage to the team as a whole. "Maybe Volchenkov will learn something from Stevens" is as valid as "maybe *insert middling forward here* will work out well on the team." "Can't be any worse" reasoning however, is WRONG - the D less one part CAN AND WILL be worse than it is now. Your return on our best middling Dman is you have a bunch of forwards who aren't superduper being asked to cover both ends of the ice. Getting rid of D for a forward will not solve our D problems. It's faulty logic. No team in need of defence will give up a serviceable two-way player for one sh!tty defenceman.

This thread reminds me of this weekends This American Life about Kid Logic whereby using perfectly valid logic, the absolute wrong conclusion is reached.

For a player like Seto...maybe this is right but not with someone like Burmistrov. He's fallen out of favor with the Jets and I think would be very easy to acquire. Tallinder isn't enough? OK AHL forward and/or a pick. Really it shouldn't take that much to get someone like him but as someone who has watched a lot of Jets games and knows how the guy plays I can tell you that getting this player would be a STEAL.

A trade for Burmistrov screams "Lou move"! Boom/bust guy to fit our forward needs and he could probably be acquired for very little.Fallen out of favor and sent to the AHL but has the potential to score a lot in the NHL if given the right chance.

Edited by TheMazz

Our D isn't that great but we realized last year with our system that our best D is keeping the play in the offensive zone. How do we do that? Being able to roll 4 scoring lines. Devils had arguably the best forward depth in the easy by the time the playoffs came around. We need more good forwards and the only way we will get them is through a trade.

The ONLY thing that would help us in a trade with Buffalo is how horrendously bad Tyler Myers has become once Tallinder left the Sabres for us. The two were a solid pair on the blue line and without his mentor, Myers' game has gone completely to hell.

Not saying a trade with them is realistic, but that would be our leverage.

Our D isn't that great but we realized last year with our system that our best D is keeping the play in the offensive zone. How do we do that? Being able to roll 4 scoring lines. Devils had arguably the best forward depth in the easy by the time the playoffs came around. We need more good forwards and the only way we will get them is through a trade.

So how is weakening the already weak D going to help?

You need a powerful 2-way forward for a hack Dman.... I see that happening

Hey pepperkorn, the problem is we always sit one of our D.... we dont have the best defenseman yes but we have surplus oof nhl defenceman.

We need to get rid of one to have a forward that's the point... (our offenssive squad is not deep enough we cant play kris barch forever)

With trading one D dont make us better or weaker defensively it just make us trading a spot where we have surplus and sitting out somebody every game for having a forward who actually can play hockey (not a cam janssen or a krys barch)

I should add I think each of our D has something of value to give to the team. It would be nice if it was all packaged in one guy but it's not. I like Tallinder. I think I can't tell what gives with Volchenkov. Greene is finding his legs as always. Fayne is solid young dude Larsson is still a rookie basically so... Sal is Sal so... there that is.

I call them hacks because as an opposing team looking to deal that's what I'd see them as. If the Devils can't bring out the best in them... why would I as a GM want what they're peddling? It's clear we have weak D -- this isn't a glut of talent OBVIOUSLY.

I'll give you a weak forward with a fatal flaw -- if I'm looking for D the most obvious thing I'm willing to give up is a guy who sucks in his own end. Thus the Devils give up defence for a forward who can't cover gaping holes created by our weak D. It makes absolutely ZERO sense.

Hey pepperkorn, the problem is we always sit one of our D.... we dont have the best defenseman yes but we have surplus oof nhl defenceman.

We need to get rid of one to have a forward that's the point... (our offenssive squad is not deep enough we cant play kris barch forever)

With trading one D dont make us better or weaker defensively it just make us trading a spot where we have surplus and sitting out somebody every game for having a forward who actually can play hockey (not a cam janssen or a krys barch)

Poor logic. You're not going to get a quality forward who can cover for our sh!tty defence giving up basically nothing. If you give up Tallinder you're giving up offensive Dman. I'd rather put Tallinder on wing than get a new untested forward.

Cause we have at least 2 maybe 3 guys in the lineup playing at the same horrible level. On top of that we have 8 NHL defensemen and a ton of youth coming through the system. Get rid of one of those weaker NHL defensemen and move some youth in and get forward depth to eliviate the pressure on the defensemen. Getting rid of a tallinder or Greene isn't going to make us worse. I think Harrold or Larsson can do what they do easily

Pepperkorn you have a poor logic.... We already have surplus of D and young Defenceman prospect are coming for a lot of year... (Gélinas Urbom Merrill etc...)

Yes you love tallinder as i do but he didnt play last night and i rather see Tallinder or greene trade than healthy scratch one night on 2....

Tallinder have some trade value (we will not get Bobby ryan for him) but i see good forward like Mathieu perreault or nathan Gerbe could be a good deal for us.

I said trade them not giving one of them...

Edited by caron14

Pepperkorn you have a poor logic.... We already have surplus of D and young Defenceman prospect are coming for a lot of year... (Gélinas Urbom Merrill etc...)

Yes you love tallinder as i do but he didnt play last night and i rather see Tallinder or greene trade than healthy scratch one night on 2....

Tallinder have some trade value (we will not get Bobby ryan for him) but i see good forward like Mathieu perreault or nathan Gerbe could be a good deal for us.

I said trade them not giving one of them...

Plus I feel Urbom right now is a NHL ready defenseman

Then why are they not here? Because you're all smarter than Lou? You all know how everyone is playing - what their state of mind is...

:doh1:

No offense to you but if you think our current lines are going to be the lines we roll with throughout the entire season you are delusional. A trade will be made it's just a matter of when. If not before trade deadline day then for sure I would expect Lou to be active then.

What if the Butler experiment doesn't work? Even if it does this team needs a top six forward.

I'm sorry I just think you are wrong in assuming no trade will be made for a forward. (especially in trading one of our many d-men)

Edited by TheMazz

Then why are they not here? Because you're all smarter than Lou? You all know how everyone is playing - what their state of mind is...

:doh1:

They aren't here cause we have 8 guys under NHL level contracts. Some might be ready right now others aren't. But I expect at least 2 of them to get a shot at the team next year. What are the devils ganna do scratch Larsson all year or bury some NHL player in the minors like redden? A trade is so obviously needed it isn't even funny