The 2014 NJ Devils Offseason Thread

Derlique

Thinking about this past season.. I hope Lou does something to add some excitement to this team.

Because now that these exciting playoffs are over, I'm starting to remember just how horribly dull and boring the Devils were this past season.

Edited by Devilsfan118

Thinking about this past season.. I hope Lou does something to add some excitement to this team.

Because now that these exciting playoffs are over, I'm starting to remember just how horribly dull and boring the Devils were this past season.

Excitement?

I bet every time Lou hears that word he does this check of his own mental dictionary while thinking "EX-SIGH-MENT!?" a la Mr. Burns with recycling when Lisa asked if his plant had a recycling program.

• Like 1

I can't believe there's so much focus on the 4th line. I thought they were more efficient than our 3rd line, especially with how little the 4th line was getting paid.

I'd honestly be fine with keeping the 4th line and getting some other players off my team if it meant we were renovating our first two lines

Edited by Onddeck

It's been one season since Carter-Gionta-Bernier was productive. They combined for 18 goals in 2012-13, which is perfectly acceptable for the roles they were playing.

What about all their other metrics/ stats?

What about all their other metrics/ stats?

Carter and Bernier were fine that season.  Gionta wasn't.  He came around this season.  One of the things I wish we had data on, and I don't have the ability to figure this out at all, is the future Corsi value of a single Corsi event.  Imagine that Team A gets a Corsi event that is not a goal.  How often does the next Corsi event belong to Team A?  Reverse it - how often after scoring a goal does the Corsi event belong to Team A?  One of the things I wonder is that since the Gionta line was so poor at scoring goals in 2013-14, is some of their improvement in Corsi a result of the puck not going in?  I'm not sure.

Even if you give that line in 2012-13 30 scoreless games they would've been NJ's best full season 4th line since Rupp-Holik-? in 2009.  Granted a lot of the time they were the 3rd line and here they were miscast, but I can't imagine that's the idea next year.  And again, the focus on the 4th line is ridiculous.  The Devils had a forward not pulling his weight on each of the top 3 lines.

Edited by Triumph

Lou will lose Fayne, keep Sal, secure the CBGB line and go through the motions the rest of the way. We've seen this movie before and it has a very dull ending.

We've seen this post quite often and it too has a very dull ending.  Like last year, when Lou signed 5 forwards and traded for a top goaltender - yawn, business as usual.  Same old sh!t.

Carter and Bernier were fine that season.  Gionta wasn't.  He came around this season.  One of the things I wish we had data on, and I don't have the ability to figure this out at all, is the future Corsi value of a single Corsi event.  Imagine that Team A gets a Corsi event that is not a goal.  How often does the next Corsi event belong to Team A?  Reverse it - how often after scoring a goal does the Corsi event belong to Team A?  One of the things I wonder is that since the Gionta line was so poor at scoring goals in 2013-14, is some of their improvement in Corsi a result of the puck not going in?  I'm not sure.

Even if you give that line in 2012-13 30 scoreless games they would've been NJ's best full season 4th line since Rupp-Holik-? in 2009.  Granted a lot of the time they were the 3rd line and here they were miscast, but I can't imagine that's the idea next year.  And again, the focus on the 4th line is ridiculous.  The Devils had a forward not pulling his weight on each of the top 3 lines.

Interesting, I have many of the same questions and I'm not sure either.  Bernier did a complete reversal and was probably one of the worst players in all of hockey when accounting for minimum games played this season. Carter spent some time nicked up, but when he played he was useful and impactful.  Gionta was very up and down this year.  Some streaks he was effective, but also misused in a lot of others.  Some games he got completely manhandled and played poorly positionally speaking when put at Center.

If they get played like a 3rd line this year, it's very questionable whether we can think of being a playoff team. 

We've seen this post quite often and it too has a very dull ending. Like last year, when Lou signed 5 forwards and traded for a top goaltender - yawn, business as usual. Same old sh!t.

Aside from a 42 year old Jagr, the rest of those forwards really tore it up, huh? Not to mention Clowe is one hit away from the ER. The players he acquired fit the Devils mold. Which is why i said, going through the motions. The goalie acquisition was nice to see though. That trade was very un-Lou like.

For some reason I think they'll fill spots and still manage to land some big names.

The Penguins have 15 million to fill six spaces that don't include a backup goalie without a significant amnesty candidate. Absent a big trade, no chance.

Assuming the Rags amnesty Richards, they could probably throw a lot of money at one big name, but it would be tight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aside from a 42 year old Jagr, the rest of those forwards really tore it up, huh? Not to mention Clowe is one hit away from the ER. The players he acquired fit the Devils mold. Which is why i said, going through the motions. The goalie acquisition was nice to see though. That trade was very un-Lou like.

Ryder and Brunner don't really fit the mold and trading for a top goalie is a splash no matter how you want to portray it.

It's easy to look back in hindsight and complain about past moves after they don't work out without looking at the situation as a whole. Ryder has a history as a consistent goal scorer, Brunner and Olesz were signed based on potential for cheap, and Clowe delivered as expected when not hurt. 

And the trade was what Lou does. He makes those moves when he sees a reason or opportunity, like he did with Gilmour, Mogilny, Kovalchuk, etc. 

I guess this whole discussion is predicated on whether or not we can actually get a big name UFA to come here. I'm reminded of Clowe's response in getting signed with NJ when he said the price and terms were right. There was no mention of wanting to play with the Devils. This club is still in the lower tier as far as being a sexy place to play.

It's easy to look back in hindsight and complain about past moves after they don't work out without looking at the situation as a whole. Ryder has a history as a consistent goal scorer, Brunner and Olesz were signed based on potential for cheap, and Clowe delivered as expected when not hurt.

And the trade was what Lou does. He makes those moves when he sees a reason or opportunity, like he did with Gilmour, Mogilny, Kovalchuk, etc.

I hear ya and know where you're coming from. I guess a part of me would rather see this team miss the playoffs for 3-5 years if it meant getting a chance to build a roster like the Kings or Hawks. If I knew we could potentially pull that off, I'd actually be patient with the work ahead. As opposed to cheap low tier acquisitions (minus Schneider), and barely making the playoffs.

The Penguins have 15 million to fill six spaces that don't include a backup goalie without a significant amnesty candidate. Absent a big trade, no chance.

Assuming the Rags amnesty Richards, they could probably throw a lot of money at one big name, but it would be tight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rangers might be able to, but they'll have to say goodbye to a couple of their key role players from this year who will undoubtedly.  Rangers hit on almost all of their cheap pickups over the last year or few years (Boyle, Zuccarello, Stralman, Pouliot, Moore).  I'd be surprised if Sather/AV have that success again in such a short window/turnaround needed on the roster.

Keep in mind the Pens have a bit of a pickle on defense.  It's overall a pretty crummy unit to begin with, with an oft-maligned/enigmatic Paul Martin who has at least done enough to force the Pens to keep him around.  They have Niskanen who emerged in Letang's absence and is hitting FA who will be able to get a nice contract, I'd be surprised if they kept him.  Orpik who is close to finished, and Scuderi who they brought back and is pretty close to Salvador territory.

The jewel of the bunch (Maata) will now be coming off serious injury/surgery the first part of the season.  Letang is now highly paid, has questions surrounding his durability with the stroke going forward, and appears less than enthused/capable of playing solid defense.

If we drafted better over the longer haul, Lou probably wouldn't be taking so much heat (including from me).

Lou does his best on the trading front and finding fits/values for the roster.  I don't think he will sign any outside FAs this offseason, absent maybe a 4th line type to replace one of the 4th liners.  I think he will be active on the trade front however.

Interesting, I have many of the same questions and I'm not sure either.  Bernier did a complete reversal and was probably one of the worst players in all of hockey when accounting for minimum games played this season. Carter spent some time nicked up, but when he played he was useful and impactful.  Gionta was very up and down this year.  Some streaks he was effective, but also misused in a lot of others.  Some games he got completely manhandled and played poorly positionally speaking when put at Center.

If they get played like a 3rd line this year, it's very questionable whether we can think of being a playoff team. 

They won't be played as a 3rd line unless there are injuries.  Bernier was not one of the worst players in hockey - he just didn't finish and the goalies didn't make a save behind him.