Random Thoughts & Stuff

sammyk

• 1 month later...

Reading the forum at the moment is like trying to run a marathon whilst up to your neck in mud. You have to struggle through endless posts with the same idiots calling each other out over the most mundane crap, just to get to someone making a valid point or a topic worthy of reply.

I was considering using the ignore feature, but im not sure if there would then be anything for me to read.

Am I on anyone ignore list ? If yes, please tell me.

oh... wait... 

I have quoted it so if people do have you on ignore, they will now see this through my post........ Unless they have me on ignore as well............ crap.

• Like 1

No reason to mope around about how things are. If you want some of the spirit back, bring it back.

Don’t get me wrong, there are some incredibly insightful posters still on here, and brilliant conversations, but its having to sift through endless personal arguments that becomes tedious.

Half the time the board seems to be in a battle with itself.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So is this where all the oldetimers congregate??

Different names different faces, very similar arguements...

I remember endless posts about neids never reaching his potential, untill 2000 that changed.

All the crazy posts about how great Freisen was ( man were rthose people nuts!!)

The Rants about Lemaire after the 97/98/99 failures

all the LL bashed becuase he lost a UFA every year.....

Not that much has chacnged, except that we all got old and do not have the energy to fight all the battles anymore...

Edited by redruM

The Devils have been appointment TV for years and years, but I lost interest this year. I watched maybe five games from start to finish. I can't blame it all on the team, although this squad was as dull as dishwater. For me, the flame is out ... but I think the pilot light is still on.

So is this where all the oldetimers congregate??

Different names different faces, very similar arguements...

I remember endless posts about neids never reaching his potential, untill 2000 that changed.

All the crazy posts about how great Freisen was ( man were rthose people nuts!!)

The Rants about Lemaire after the 97/98/99 failures

all the LL bashed becuase he lost a UFA every year.....

Not that much has chacnged, except that we all got old and do not have the energy to fight all the battles anymore...

Things have changed.  Every thread has personal insults.  Posters have been made into punching bags. Seems like folks take pride int ripping people no matter what they post.  If I put any more on my ignore list there will be no threads to read.  It is a really sad state of affairs imo. :(

ETA: Almost forgot this.  If I were to say anything about one's young age or maturity level,  I get ripped.  If a younger poster says anything about my age well, that is just fine and dandy.  Yes, there are double standards as well and that is really, really sad.

Edited by StarDew

The Devils have been appointment TV for years and years, but I lost interest this year. I watched maybe five games from start to finish. I can't blame it all on the team, although this squad was as dull as dishwater. For me, the flame is out ... but I think the pilot light is still on.

It was definitely not an easy team to watch...I still did it, but only went to a handful of games this season.  I really wanted to indoctrinate my five-year-old daughter this season, but in the games I took her to, the Devils scored exactly one goal, and lost all three.  The current Devils are never going to be an offensive juggernaut, so I don't kid myself from that standpoint, but sadly, my daughter (Natalie) was more into the food than the game.  I'm going to try again next season...I want it to become something we can enjoy together for years (my wife isn't really that into sports).

Things have changed.  Every thread has personal insults.  Posters have been made into punching bags. Seems like folks take pride int ripping people no matter what they post.  If I put any more on my ignore list there will be no threads to read.  It is a really sad state of affairs imo. :(

ETA: Almost forgot this.  If I were to say anything about one's young age or maturity level,  I get ripped.  If a younger poster says anything about my age well, that is just fine and dandy.  Yes, there are double standards as well and that is really, really sad.

I say all of the following with respect:

You jumped on me and NJ4798 a while back when you were completely wrong about the reason WHY you were jumping on us.  You seem like you're either very oversensitive or not always doing a good job of interpreting what's really happening in some threads, and reacting before really thinking and posting.  For example, I've seen plenty of threads that do not have personal insults in them, and have reasonable back-and-forth debating. 

As far as "punching bags" go, I can think of two who bring on a fair share of what happens to them unto themselves.  SD posts the same stuff about Lou's MO again and again and again.  MB's points always seem to turn into endless semantics arguments, where he seems to be taking a stand, only he's not really taking one.  Both are very active, so it's pretty hard for everyone to ignore them completely, even though they tend to butt heads with multiple posters. 

But you really have to take the state of the Devils into account as well.  They've just missed the playoffs for the third time in four seasons, after a very long run of prosperity.  This was an especially frustrating team to watch...a team that had a way of teasing us again and again, only to keep kicking us in the belly.  There's a lot of Devils fans who simply weren't born early enough or aren't old enough to remember the bad times or the transition period into '93-'94.  They've known almost nothing but success.  They're having a very difficult time processing that the good times don't go on forever, and let's face it, watching teams lose doesn't tend to bring out the best in most people, especially those who've only known winning. 

Let's face it, one of THE most pushbutton hot topics was Brodeur, his play, and how the goaltenders were used.  This accounted for a LOT of the more heated debates, and next season, it hopefully won't be an issue anymore.  Brodeur not being here should calm things down considerably.  If the Devils contend for a playoff spot and get in, that will also make a world of difference...all it takes is not making the playoffs for fans to appreciate that getting it IS a big deal, and shouldn't be taken as an automatic.   

Anyway, I've been here for a long time myself now, and I don't really see this de-evolution of the board...I still think it's a terrific place to come to.  There's guys I definitely miss that I wish would come back (DiG and DinLA top that list).  But I still enjoy myself here, especially since there's a great football community (Crash does an awesome job with the weekly threads there), and a Mets community as well.  I really don't think this place is nearly as bad as you're making it out to be, and I think next season, with Brodeur no longer being a lightning rod and hopefully the team being easier on the eyes, that things will get better.  Truly. 

With the same respect:

There was a lot more civility pre your being here. I kinda miss the old Network54 board.  Posters from  then are 99% gone. I stuck around because I liked the place. People I have brought to this forum have left. Yes, you make points however it has changed imo.

I use these as recent examples. In the appreciation thread a poster provided a link to a post on another forum that he said he couldn't have said it better. He agreed however folks started with criticizing the other forum and the post. So everything was hunky-dory? Poking at red about his typos when they know nothing about what make red the great guy he is. Seems to me that there should only be positive stuff in any appreciation thread. There is a difference in joking with posters that have their own nuanced  personalities. Nowadays it comes across as mean. Maybe you don't see it that way.  You are entitled to your opinion as I am mine. 

I am not overly sensitive. Maybe I misinterpret or have a low tolerance for stuff when I have a high pain level. Until I have more joint replacements I will blow hot and cold. There are people who understand and there are people who don't. As a result of this, I am looking at other ways to get not only Devs info but the entire NHL.

I will not be posting much, if at all, anymore.  This should solve the situation. :)

Like Red said, so this is where the old-timers are hanging out now?

It was either the day of the trading deadline or the day before when I realized, "You know, I haven't been on NJDevs in a while."  Then the Ruutu trade went down and I thought, "Well, all right, I'll go there and see what the guys thought of the trade."  Before I signed in I checked my profile and it turns out I hadn't been here since November.  Oops.  It wasn't really a conscious decision on my part to stay away all season, it just sort of happened.  I forget if I had taken a couple days off to cool down from the idiocy I was reading in the goal song debate or if I was too busy to come by for a while, but one thing led to another, I found other ways to occupy my time, and eventually I realized four months had passed.

My complaint is the same as everyone else's.  The board has changed, and not for the better.  Too much negativity, and too many a$$holes who act like they own the place.  I mean, the Devils are a frustrating team to watch even when they're winning, but a large percentage of the fan base has been spoiled by the team's success over the last 20 years and can't handle the ups and downs of the past handful of seasons.  And for me, personally, the debate over the goal song really turned me off and may have been the last straw.  It seems like a lot of the newer folks around here pride themselves on acting like rough-and-tumble Philly fans and/or full-of-themselves Ranger fans and think it's their God-given right to be as rude and crude as humanly (and legally) possible.  That's obviously not going to sit well with those of us who pride ourselves on being the exact opposite.

And like others have said, social media has played a part as well.  I see some of the people that I actually like on Facebook or Twitter, and even if we don't interact all that often, that mere presence seems to be enough.

Soooooo... hi.   :hi:

I have an 8-year-old boy, and he's getting to the age where he might like a hockey game or a ballgame. I was about his age when I went to my first MLB game (Chris Chambliss homered). I'm not too surprised that your 5-year-old was more interested in the food (and maybe souvenirs?).

It was definitely not an easy team to watch...I still did it, but only went to a handful of games this season.  I really wanted to indoctrinate my five-year-old daughter this season, but in the games I took her to, the Devils scored exactly one goal, and lost all three.  The current Devils are never going to be an offensive juggernaut, so I don't kid myself from that standpoint, but sadly, my daughter (Natalie) was more into the food than the game.  I'm going to try again next season...I want it to become something we can enjoy together for years (my wife isn't really that into sports).

I'm not much for new age stats, but I keep haring about the CORSI rating, can 1 of you explain it to me??

Something that a lot of people use to determine possession. I believe it is shots+missed wide.

Fenwick is shots+missed shots+ blocked shots. Belongs to the theory of, the more the team shots, the more likely it is to go in. For example, think of the 2012 ECF vs. the rangers. Shots were about even, I believe, but in terms of Fenwick it was something crazy like 60-30 in favor of the Devils. In the early games of the series. Goes to show that it is unsustainable to get crushed in possession and win frequently.

Teams that lead the league in Fenwick and Corsi tend to sit at the top of the standings.

While one might say "who cares, a shot missed is a shot missed", that isn't really what this is about. It's more about to show possession.

Edited by Devils Pride 26

Something that a lot of people use to determine possession. I believe it is shots+missed wide.

Fenwick is shots+missed shots+ blocked shots. Belongs to the theory of, the more the team shots, the more likely it is to go in. For example, think of the 2012 ECF vs. the rangers. Shots were about even, I believe, but in terms of Fenwick it was something crazy like 60-30 in favor of the Devils. In the early games of the series. Goes to show that it is unsustainable to get crushed in possession and win frequently.

Teams that lead the league in Fenwick and Corsi tend to sit at the top of the standings.

While one might say "who cares, a shot missed is a shot missed", that isn't really what this is about. It's more about to show possession.

OK, I understand the theory, cannot say I disagree, but not sure I love the missed the net part of the equation, but I get it...

OK, I understand the theory, cannot say I disagree, but not sure I love the missed the net part of the equation, but I get it...

I think it's a useful tool when missing a game. Watching the highlights shows the very few clips from the game, corsi/fenwick give a better feel to how the game went

This page does a good job of explaining Corsi and Fenwick and how to use and interpret them meaningfully.  They are a great way to determine how evenly a game was played because it lets you see what team generated more offense since shots on goal excludes a lot.  You can also use these stats player by player to get a better idea of who is driving the play and who may be dead weight.  On the individual level though, you also have to consider line matchups since generally a first line is going to have higher percentages than a checking line.

Here's Part 2 of that link.  This one explains how to use these stats to dig deeper and weed out some variables that might skew the numbers.

I hope that sometime soon we see this stuff become mainstream and get used during broadcasts and in highlight shows.  I think before that happens though, either Corsi or Fenwick will have to win out over the other since the two stats are pretty similar and aim to portray the same thing.  I also think they might need a name that says what it actually means.  Nobody needs to be explained what a shot on goal or a giveaway is, but there is nobody that knows what a Fenwick is until someone explains it to them first, and I think that is something that keeps it from becoming mainstream.