50 members have voted

1. 1. The New Jersey Devils will...

• Win in regulation.
    • Lose in regulation.
    • Win in OT.
    • Lose in OT.
    • Win in SO.
    • Lose in SO.

A little tense there, but I thought NJ was the better team from when Marty got hurt. I won't be surprised if scoring chances are 3 to 2 in favor of NJ.

That Parise-Elias-Sykora line is something else - if Sykora can bury his chances, it's going to be very impressive indeed.

Kovalchuk was being double shifted despite not playing well - the perils of playing Cam Janssen. I did like what DeBoer did, occasionally double shifting Parise or putting he or Kovalchuk out for D zone draws.

Palmieri had a decent game - a few more like that and I'll think he's a legitimate NHLer.

Three times you had the Lil' Beachball open, but you're just too good to pass it ain't ya?!

Second game in a row Clarkson's pissed me off with his selfishness. Odds are if I'd watched Monday he would have done something to piss me off there too. The goofball stuff I can live with (the toedrag, an occasional mental mistake) but not taking stupid penalties and getting yourself thrown out when the game's over already, or being a shot hog when the guy you're with is a better offensive player than you.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I think Cam was just sat because of the score. If we were ahead by 1 goal the lines woulda kept being rolled without Kovy being double shifted. Cam didn't do anything DeBoer didn't like IMO. If anything he did alot of what DeBeor was looking for. We'll see in the next few games....

THIS! I had 3 morons sitting behind me in row 6 of section 18 screaming "we want Cam" during our [absolutely shockingly] strong 2nd period and then again during the tightest points of the 3rd. Note: These are also the same clowns who were saying how pathetic it was that Kovy hadn't even scored yet this year. After listening their stupid banter for the first period and hearing the previous comment, I had to step in and remind them about his GWG Monday, and how matching up a shooter with another team's 4th line is a smart move [just didnt pay off with Kovy not shooting at his best tonight]

Thoughts: Again, loved the 2nd period. I loved the intensity, didnt produce anything but they played really damn well.

Didn't care for the refs, at all esp in the 3rd.

Being in the black was cool for a game, scratch that, it was awesome. Good people around me, sans the group in the row behind me who were also with a Rangers fan... A girl 2 rows ahead of me reminded me a lot of Dee from Always Sunny.

Stayed afterwards to try and meet some Kings. Brown, Johnson, Quick and Willie freaking Mitchell were pretty cool. Mitchell said he missed being here.

And Supporters, please please please chill the hell out with the "I Believe" chants. Once a period is solid, but even that's pushing it. 5 times during the 2nd and 3 in the third really kills the point of it and then to not do it FOLLOWING the win [which was the actual premise WE established last year as well as the vote of confidence] doesn't make sense.

Great game tonight, glad the crowd as a whole really got into it, granted it was late in the 3rd, better late than never!

Twang the Preds Saturday!!

Second game in a row Clarkson's pissed me off with his selfishness. Odds are if I'd watched Monday he would have done something to piss me off there too. The goofball stuff I can live with (the toedrag, an occasional mental mistake) but not taking stupid penalties and getting yourself thrown out when the game's over already, or being a shot hog when the guy you're with is a better offensive player than you.

I hated how on the 2nd period 2-on-1 with Tedenby he shot, He could have easily dished to Teds who would've had the left side wide open as quick anticipated the shot all the way.

I admittedly laughed when Cam came out for his first shift and almost immediately got sent to the box. It was nice to see the team play so bad in the first 10 minutes and then play pretty good hockey the rest of the game against a very good team. Im interested to see how we play out in LA. Larsson's instinct is really apparent.

Clarkson isn't a puck hog. He's just totally incapable of making a pass to a forward. I'm not kidding, he can't. He does one of two things, drives or drops the puck back to the defenseman. He can't find the forwards.

Very weird player, some parts of his game are NHL quality and other parts, you wouldn't even be playing professional hockey.

Tonight was too much though. I mean LBB was WIDE open, specially the second time, the one jagknife mentions....it's just irritating watching this guy play "hockey". The most frustrating part, though, is knowing the coach is absolutely in love with him. I mean, Clarkson playing OT??? No Tedenby.....really??!!!!

Our PP will never be good as long as we're actually playing 4-on-4. I have no idea what's the point of his presence on the power play. He's not a good passer, he makes stupid decisions, he can't stop a puck even if he put a pillow on his stick, and he sure as hell isn't screening the goalie or nothing. Even if he manages to catch a rebound, chances of scoring are quite low, he'll probably just go attempt a wrap around and, as max pointed out, pass it to the blue line.

If anyone should've been sitting with the tied game it should've been him. I'd rather have Pelley in the 3rd and Cam in the 4th line.

A little tense there, but I thought NJ was the better team from when Marty got hurt. I won't be surprised if scoring chances are 3 to 2 in favor of NJ.

That Parise-Elias-Sykora line is something else - if Sykora can bury his chances, it's going to be very impressive indeed.

Kovalchuk was being double shifted despite not playing well - the perils of playing Cam Janssen. I did like what DeBoer did, occasionally double shifting Parise or putting he or Kovalchuk out for D zone draws.

Palmieri had a decent game - a few more like that and I'll think he's a legitimate NHLer.

thats exactly what i was saying this summer and you gave me sh!t about it, why are they giving those extra shifts to Kovy and not Zach? he played 10 more minutes than Parise tnight ? its been like that when Kovy came in too and im not sure Zach is thrilled about it especially when the other guy is rewarded while playing like sh!t

I hated how on the 2nd period 2-on-1 with Tedenby he shot, He could have easily dished to Teds who would've had the left side wide open as quick anticipated the shot all the way.

Clarkson isn't a puck hog. He's just totally incapable of making a pass to a forward. I'm not kidding, he can't. He does one of two things, drives or drops the puck back to the defenseman. He can't find the forwards.

Very weird player, some parts of his game are NHL quality and other parts, you wouldn't even be playing professional hockey.

Yea I don't think he is selfish, I'm sure he knows he isn't the best shooter out there. I think things are just happening out there at a pace too fast for him to notice open teammates. When you are watching on TV from a camera high off the ice, you see everything on the ice and it happens at an infinitely slower pace. When you are down there in the middle of it, it is much different and he just isn't good enough to be effective at that pace when he has the puck.

Edited by devilsfan26

thats exactly what i was saying this summer and you gave me sh!t about it, why are they giving those extra shifts to Kovy and not Zach? he played 10 more minutes than Parise tnight ? its been like that when Kovy came in too and im not sure Zach is thrilled about it especially when the other guy is rewarded while playing like sh!t

Parise plays a higher energy game and is playing on the PK, so is a less likely double shifting candidate.

It was cartoonish ice time. There were ways around it, like not doing your lines 1-2-3-4 when you have long stretches of continuous plays.

The worst part about it is really he didn't do anything to warrant the time. One of his best chances of the game was a ridiculous overshift, where once again he magically found himself on the wrong side of the rink when it was time to change. Even though he's primarily a left to right attacker when he's on the puck. Parise, whose line was rolling and creating chances, spent 90% of his shift on the bench.

If anything he should have had time docked but there's only so much you can do when Cam is one of the wings on his side.

Sure as hell wasn't the best player on the team tonight. I think it's debateable he's the best player on the team in the first place. And why should he play with Elias/Sykora when Parise has them flying around and freaking soft-assed Petr Sykora is playing a cycle grind game! I don't think he's done that since he left and he had Arnott running shotgun for him then. :lol:

Parise's making his line better, maybe Kovy should consider doing that too.

I want a little more than ridiculous overshifts, feeding the other team directly in front of my net, 1 on 4 rushes that go nowhere, and a 10.0 on the Langs scale of "you didn't call a penalty, now I'm going to do nothing and harm my own team to spite you"... before I declare him the best player on the team in this game.

Kovy is being double shifted because he's the best player on the team. The fact that he is playing "alone" is not his fault. I still think they should try to set him up on the first line with Elias and Sykora.

The best player on the team statement about Kovy gets used way to much.

He just isn't.

Most offensively gifted? Yes, best player? No, not even the best forward.

If you look at a player’s game as a whole, Parise is the best player on this team. There is a reasonably strong case to suggest that Elias might be the second best.

Don’t get me wrong he is a fantastic player, and the things he is good at, he is really good at. But there are still holes in the game he needs to fix to be considered the teams best player.

Just watched the highlights, looks like a really well-played game by the Devils. Of course Quick had great positioning and it made the Devils chances look worse than they were, but it looked like a lot of offense and some good defense (besides a few turnovers at the beginning).

Also love that Kovy used Zach's shootout move to beat Quick in the shootout.

Kovy is being double shifted because he's the best player on the team. The fact that he is playing "alone" is not his fault. I still think they should try to set him up on the first line with Elias and Sykora.

Looks like Kovy will always have his apologists, no matter how boneheaded he continues to look on the ice.

The problems with Kovy are nothing new. Terrible hockey instincts, terrible decisions. Doesn't look like it's ever going to change, despite Kovy showing flashes of progress in righting the wrongs in his game last season. He is what he is. Unfortunately, here it looks like he's going to be a 30-35 goal, 60-70 point player who will sometimes electrify, but will frustrate much more often. The apologists will point to his occasional highlight-reel goals, but ignore the far more numerous maddening moments. At least he buried his shootout chance.

And yeah, re: Clarkson, he gets more painful to watch by the shift.

Found this exchange between Cangialosi and Chico a little bizarre...

STEVE: "I think you'd look good in high heels and a miniskirt."

CHICO: "What's that?"

STEVE: "Oh, uh...back to the action...they're lining up for the faceoff..."

Unfortunately, here it looks like he's going to be a 30-35 goal, 60-70 point player who will sometimes electrify, but will frustrate much more often.

That fact that he was a point pr game player over 8 seasons in Atlanta(!) but is struggling to keep up with that now would to many people suggest the problem might not lie with him entirely. Unless you're suggesting that he's now past his prime at the age of 28 somehow.

I certainly agree that he's been making some lazy mistakes lately, but if you look as far back as the second half of last season he played very well overall. I agree Parise is arguably as good as Kovy all aspects of the game considered. Elias may have been close a few years ago as well.

Fact remains; Kovy needs a quality center to set him up. Put him next to Thornton and he'd have 60 goals a season.

A lot of kovys turnovers are a result of him playing the role of lord of the dance on both sides of the ice. Give him a puck moving dman on our end and a talented center on the opposite end and he will return to his sniper role. That having been said, he should recognize the situation he is in and pass more, which he does well, rather than trying to skate the puck past all the guys on the opposite team.

As a side note, the team needs to play a more physical game. As a whole, our team is not quick enough to be winning puck battles by speed alone. Whenever I see the team play an aggressive backcheck/forecheck game, turnovers are created, which leads to scoring opportunities. Unfortunately, this has been the exception, rather than the rule in the past few years. I have not seen this part of their game change under the new coach...

Edited by Biggie B

Kovy's big and has a huge amount of energy. Zach kills it for a shift, then does it again. Kovy looks the same at the end of a double shift. There are certainly holes in his game, which Zajac did a good job hiding, but there is no reason not to give him ice time, especially considering how little depth we have at forward with Zajac hurt. You need to take advantage of everybody's strengths, and one of Kovy's is his endurance. The only time I get mad at Kovy for staying out too long is when Zach's line is out next. Otherwise, let him play. Lemaire figured this out last year.

I'm not a Kovy apologist at all, but let's be fair when we complain about him.