2013 NHL Draft

Derlique

Some thoughts about yesterdays draft outside the actual selection and trading of players:

1) Great turn-out.  Tons of people there and great to go to a Devils event that involves other teams that do not break out into these silly little fights between other teams fans.

2) Fan fest was mostly good.  Kinda sh!tty that the ferris wheel didn't get built until the fest started and they didn't even finish building it by the time the draft started.  The games were nice and free and the mini golf course and street hockey was a nice touch.

3) South entrance looks 100x nicer with the new trees there.  Doesn't look as barren as before.

4) I don't know about anyone else, but from what was told in the days leading up is that we would only be allowed in the 100 and 200 levels and that STH and their guests can come in early at 12:30.  Well what they didn't mention is that the first 1300 people could get a free upgrade to the lower level.  Wish they would have mentioned that as I would have gotten in line earlier but not a huge dealbreaker for me.

5) Card and memoribilia expo was like any of the others I have been to.  Overpriced and run by sad-looking sports memoribilia dealers.

6) Seeing the trophies was cool but didn't see the cup as the line was too long.  I have seen the cup many times before so no big deal for me.

7) Seth Jones was a jackass to a bunch of people and didn't sign for a bunch of people's stuff.

8) Wish the Devils would do like the yankees do when it gets hot out and offer free cooling stations with iced water.  Instead we were stuck for paying ridiculous prices for it. (I mean for the Fan fest portion)

Anything else go on during Fan Fest? Was most of the stuff going on during Fan Fest free? Does anyone have any good photos of it -- the games, the Ferris Wheel, etc.? (I saw the few that Colin posted earlier.)

Some thoughts about yesterdays draft outside the actual selection and trading of players:

1) Great turn-out.  Tons of people there and great to go to a Devils event that involves other teams that do not break out into these silly little fights between other teams fans.

2) Fan fest was mostly good.  Kinda sh!tty that the ferris wheel didn't get built until the fest started and they didn't even finish building it by the time the draft started.  The games were nice and free and the mini golf course and street hockey was a nice touch.

3) South entrance looks 100x nicer with the new trees there.  Doesn't look as barren as before.

4) I don't know about anyone else, but from what was told in the days leading up is that we would only be allowed in the 100 and 200 levels and that STH and their guests can come in early at 12:30.  Well what they didn't mention is that the first 1300 people could get a free upgrade to the lower level.  Wish they would have mentioned that as I would have gotten in line earlier but not a huge dealbreaker for me.

5) Card and memoribilia expo was like any of the others I have been to.  Overpriced and run by sad-looking sports memoribilia dealers.

6) Seeing the trophies was cool but didn't see the cup as the line was too long.  I have seen the cup many times before so no big deal for me.

7) Seth Jones was a jackass to a bunch of people and didn't sign for a bunch of people's stuff.

8) Wish the Devils would do like the yankees do when it gets hot out and offer free cooling stations with iced water.  Instead we were stuck for paying ridiculous prices for it. (I mean for the Fan fest portion)

I had no idea about #4 either, do you know how people upgraded?

I had no idea about #4 either, do you know how people upgraded?

Basically you had to be the first 1300 people in the building when it opened to STH at 12:30 on the Lafayette entrance by the parking garage.  My buddy was one of those people and they gave him tickets in section 5.

If you went in the season ticket holder entrance on Lafayette you could get them. A friend of mine had season tickets and we got upgraded to section 44, four rows from the NHL Network setup. It was neat, but not much different from what you'd see from above. (In fact, I may have slightly preferred the 100s because I was having trouble seeing what was going on on the draft floor, and couldn't even find the Devils table until late in the draft.)

Overall an absolutely great turnout.  Crowd was very into it, whether it was booing the hell out of Bettman throughout the first round, the Rangers during roll call, or the excitement leading up to our pick and the announcment of the trade.  I think most people (myself included) were excited that Nichuskin fell to 9, and assumed he would be the pick.  When they announced the trade, I immediately thought we got Bobby Ryan and when they said Vancouver I almost had a heart attacking in that split second I thought it was Luongo.

Everything seemed well organized.  Even getting the commemorative tickets given to STH's wasn't a disaster. 

One thing I noted is that the hand rolled cigar store on the main concourse brought out the big guns for the draft with 3 smoking hot girls working yesterday afternoon.  No surprise their stand was better attended than usual. 

• Like 1

I had an awesome time as well. It seemed well polished and overall almost too much to take in at once. The crowd was awesome and got many mentions in the press. Of course Lou trumped us all with his sleight of hand.

Thanks to Sundstrom for the invite again. Nice to meet the group of you up in 230!

Overall an absolutely great turnout.  Crowd was very into it, whether it was booing the hell out of Bettman throughout the first round, the Rangers during roll call, or the excitement leading up to our pick and the announcment of the trade.  I think most people (myself included) were excited that Nichuskin fell to 9, and assumed he would be the pick.  When they announced the trade, I immediately thought we got Bobby Ryan and when they said Vancouver I almost had a heart attacking in that split second I thought it was Luongo.

Everything seemed well organized.  Even getting the commemorative tickets given to STH's wasn't a disaster. 

One thing I noted is that the hand rolled cigar store on the main concourse brought out the big guns for the draft with 3 smoking hot girls working yesterday afternoon.  No surprise their stand was better attended than usual. 

Lol, I noticed that too. They went all out.

I saw them too. Lou spent the whole first round sitting at the Canucks table.

i am convinced that you and feisty were wrong about this. but you'd have to be costanza spotting dimes and eating onions to see from where we were.

also - glad the extra tix went to good use with you and feisty.

we should have a meet up at the rock next year for sure for board members. i can now vouch for the fact that at least 4 of us who I've met IRL aren't axe murderers.

• Like 2

i am convinced that you and feisty were wrong about this. but you'd have to be costanza spotting dimes and eating onions to see from where we were.

also - glad the extra tix went to good use with you and feisty.

we should have a meet up at the rock next year for sure for board members. i can now vouch for the fact that at least 4 of us who I've met IRL aren't axe murderers.

It really did look like him at first, but it must have been another bald guy. :P  Thanks again for the ticket and it was great to me you guys!

Basically you had to be the first 1300 people in the building when it opened to STH at 12:30 on the Lafayette entrance by the parking garage.  My buddy was one of those people and they gave him tickets in section 5.

Interesting, I thought I got there pretty early enough-and I went in that entrance, but there was nothing about upgrades...

Hockey Prospectus East Review

New Jersey Devils

First round: No pick

Rest of the picks: Santini was one of the biggest risers in my eyes in the second half with a simply fantastic U18 tournament in April. He is not a big points guy, but logged all the tough minutes for the USNTDP. He skates very well, is physical, makes a good first pass, and has very good defensive hockey sense. Kujawinski came into the year as a potential first rounder but faltered a bit. He is a great skater with good two-way ability but his offense and scoring chance creation were very inconsistent. Bell was considered a solid draft prospect two years ago as a defenseman prior to legal issues. Now, as a forward, he displayed fine speed, a big shot, and solid skill. His all-around game needs work.

Summary: With few picks, New Jersey added a very quality defense prospect in Santini, as well as a toolsy but risky player in Kujawinski. Bell also has intriguing upside. The talent they got for the picks they had was decent, but one wonders if they may have wanted to add more skill up front to a system that really needs it.

Edited by thefiestygoat