46 replies to this topic

#41 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

Malakhov+1st and Rolston for Hunter are obvious #1s, but how about Lou trading for then trading Steve Staios in the same summer? Staios became a pretty solid tough minute defender not long after.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#42 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,251 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

Malakhov+1st and Rolston for Hunter are obvious #1s, but how about Lou trading for then trading Steve Staios in the same summer? Staios became a pretty solid tough minute defender not long after.

wait, what? neither of those were bad trades per se. they were necessary because of the position lou was in but to say "worst" is ridiculous. i remember us being ecstatic that he dumped rolston.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#43 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

wait, what? neither of those were bad trades per se. they were necessary because of the position lou was in but to say "worst" is ridiculous. i remember us being ecstatic that he dumped rolston.

Obviously, but they're bad on their face - they're giving up something useful for something useless. We only know about this sort of trade because of the salary cap - we don't know if, say, Verbeek for S. Turgeon was also motivated by financial concerns (and we know that John McMullen was counting pennies at that time)

#44 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,973 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:20 PM

Anyone remember the exact circumstances for the Souray deal? Sheldon Souray, a former 2nd round pick, and a future 2nd to the Canadiens for Malakhov.

Malakhov was a player on the decline and was a solid, yet unspectacular player during the Cup run while Souray was a young up-and-comer. Obviously, things worked out for the Devils, but I doubt Lou ever imagined how deadly of a power play weapon Souray would become. Took a few years but Souray had three straight double digit goal seasons and peaked with 19 PPG in 2006-2007. Something the Devils needed for years was a threat on the point. Obviously, he was a mess (still is) defensively, but that would have probably been mitigated in Jersey.

Doubt Lou would have ever traded Souray with what he would become for a few months of Vladimir. Plus, as an added bonus, if he never made that deal, he doesn't sign Malakhov to an awful deal ($7.2 million for 2 years) in 2006 and doesn't have to trade away a 1st to get rid of him.

So if you add that all up, maybe the worst trade in Devils history.

Edited by devilsrule33, 14 December 2012 - 12:30 PM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#45 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,251 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

Obviously, but they're bad on their face - they're giving up something useful for something useless. We only know about this sort of trade because of the salary cap - we don't know if, say, Verbeek for S. Turgeon was also motivated by financial concerns (and we know that John McMullen was counting pennies at that time)

i recall the verbeek trade was all about money. he was in line for a big contract raise and the devils didn't want to pay it.

Anyone remember the exact circumstances for the Souray deal? Sheldon Souray, a former 2nd round pick, and a future 2nd to the Canadiens for Malakhov.

the biggest circumstance was named Colin White. It was clear he was ready to come up and Souray hadn't yet become the offensive force he turned out to be. Malakhov was still regarded as a pretty good player (amazingly) but yeah, i hated that deal after about round 1 of the playoffs.

i doubt there will be a devil i hate more than vlad malakhov.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#46 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

I don't really think Sheldon Souray has been a very good player in his career and I don't regret losing him in that trade. He was a 3rd pairing D type compared a lot to Ken Daneyko when he was here, he developed into an offensive weapon but either he or his teams thought he was Scott Niedermayer when it came to rushing the puck. If he could be paired with a Paul Martin type it would've been a good match.

I liked Malakhov a lot and would do that deal again in a second.

#47 thehockeygods44

thehockeygods44

Draft Pick

• Pond Hockey
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:22 PM

What about John Maclean and Ken Sutton for Doug Bodger and Dody Wood?

Lou's hands were obviously tied here by Johnny Mac's trade request, but we lost our franchise scoring leader for spare parts basically.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users