The 2014 NJ Devils Offseason Thread

Derlique

It's an Єklund (2.3% accurate) rumor but any rumor is going to keep us active and talking at this point:

Mike Richards to NJ, NYI, Chicago or Anaheim?
It is starting to sound more and more like Mike Richards, fresh off the Stanley Cup victory, could be bought out or traded. The Blackhawks are among the teams most interested I am told if a trade were to occur. The Devils, Islanders and Ducks would have interest if he is bought out and Richie were to become a free agent.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Єklund (2.3% accurate)/Rumors-Ward-for-Marleaue3-and-10-more-BIG-rumors-for-Sunday/1/60627

Richards would certainly be cheaper then Stastny.

It's an Єklund (2.3% accurate) rumor but any rumor is going to keep us active and talking at this point:

Mike Richards to NJ, NYI, Chicago or Anaheim?

It is starting to sound more and more like Mike Richards, fresh off the Stanley Cup victory, could be bought out or traded. The Blackhawks are among the teams most interested I am told if a trade were to occur. The Devils, Islanders and Ducks would have interest if he is bought out and Richie were to become a free agent.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Єklund (2.3% accurate)/Rumors-Ward-for-Marleaue3-and-10-more-BIG-rumors-for-Sunday/1/60627

Richards would certainly be cheaper then Stastny.

I'd take Mike before Brad Richards,  I'd pencil him in on the 2nd or 3rd line and move Elias to wing. 

THE GLOBE & MAIL: James Mirtle :New Jersey #‎Devils are believed to have exceeded last year’s salary cap by at least $3 million because of performance bonus for Jaromir Jagr. This means the 3 mil will be put towards this years cap giving he devils less money to work with.

I think LA keeps Mike Richards. He's not what we need right now. Seems to be a money player in big spots. He's got a lot of miles on him, and he's another third liner. We need to be shedding bottom 6 guys and gets top 6 guys. So I wouldn't be a fan of this.

I put together our roster and can never figure out what the third line should be because there's so many of them.

Let's say we get lucky and sign Stastny.

Henrique-Zajac-Jagr

Elias-Statsny-Brunner

Then we have...Ryder, Clowe, Josefson, Ruutu, Zubrus and maybe Boucher at somepoint.

Sislo-Gionta-Carter

Mike Richards, who won't be bought out anyway but for this exercise, would slot into our third line center spot. We could use him but why when we need to clear some roster spots first.

THE GLOBE & MAIL: James Mirtle :New Jersey #‎Devils are believed to have exceeded last year’s salary cap by at least $3 million because of performance bonus for Jaromir Jagr. This means the 3 mil will be put towards this years cap giving he devils less money to work with.

Jagr only had $2 mil in bonuses. Zidlicky had another $1 mil.

I'd like to see the math because the Devils would have needed to have used the entire cap before bonuses to need to eat the entirety of the bonuses next season.

That's kind of a bummer... How much cap space are we looking at minus that $3 million?

I dont know...how does Lou let something like that happen?

isnt that a loophole teams would use at the trade deadline so they could exceed to cap and "worry about it next year"

Edited by The 29th Pick

That's kind of a bummer... How much cap space are we looking at minus that $3 million?

http://www.capgeek.com/devils/archive/

This is the archived roster report from CapGeek.  I'm not positive of what I'm looking at exactly, but at the bottom of the page it says this. 

Upper limit (bonusarrow-10x10.png overages deducted) $64,300,000

Estimated spending (performance bonuses rolled back) $63,578,616

Estimated LTIR creditarrow-10x10.png $0

Estimated cap space (excludes performance bonuses) $721,384

Maximum performance bonuses $4,615,000

Bonusarrow-10x10.png overage (carries over to following season) $0

This says that there are no bonus overages, however the est. cap spaces is still 721,384.  I don't think we went over at any point, but if we did, you have to put that on Lou and him not caring about the possible overages.  I think we're in the green in terms of bonuses.  Lou will just throw Clowe or Sal on LTIR if he has to.  Lol :uni:

Edited by RizzMB30

No, the Devils did go over, but yeah I think you're right 731. I don't think it's by 3 million.  Jon Merrill might've hit an ice time bonus - we don't know what bonuses he has in his contract, but those are the only performance bonuses Lou tends to give out.  The trouble is the only reason they went over was the Loktionov for Ruutu deal, and that's a stupid reason to go over.

Rizz:  capgeek said he doesn't yet have the overage numbers.  They haven't been released.

The thing about the cap overages is that let's say NJ is working with a 68 million cap, well they get the same bonus cushion, and Zidlicky and Jagr are already signed up with bonuses.  So they can just repeat this next year.

FTR, the article states:

At least three teams had huge overages this season that will hurt them in free agency and beyond. The Bruins, Devils and Red Wings are all believed to have exceeded the cap by at least $3-million primarily due to bonuses for Jarome Iginla, Jaromir Jagr and Daniel Alfredsson.

So Mirtle isn't saying it is all due to Jagr, but most of it is from his bonuses. 

FORWARDS
Ryane Clowe ($4.850m) / Travis Zajac ($5.750m) / Jaromir Jagr ($3.500m)
Adam Henrique ($4.000m) / Patrik Elias ($5.500m) / Damien Brunner ($2.500m)
Tuomo Ruutu ($3.800m) / Jacob Josefson ($0.900m) / Michael Ryder ($3.500m)
Dainius Zubrus ($3.100m) / Ryan Carter ($0.800m) / Mike Sislo ($0.550m)
Reid Boucher ($0.693m) / Jiri Sekac ($0.900m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Andy Greene ($3.000m) / Mark Fayne ($3.000m)
Jon Merrill ($0.840m) / Marek Zidlicky ($3.000m)
Eric Gelinas ($1.500m) / Adam Larsson ($2.500m)
Bryce Salvador ($3.167m) / Peter Harrold ($0.800m)
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Keith Kinkaid ($0.605m)
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
BUYOUTS
Trent Hunter ($0.667m)
Johan Hedberg ($0.000m)
Anton Volchenkov ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,670,834; BONUSES: $3,292,500
CAP SPACE (25-man roster): $5,429,166

My little roster prediction.  Sekac signed and Boucher makes the roster.  Amnesty buyout Volch.  I'd still like to see Elias back on the wing if possible, but he's better at center than Henrique, at least taking faceoffs and defensively.  Larsson, Gelinas, Fayne back at fairly team friendly deals I'll admit.  I think it's also possible that one of Brunner and Ryder(maybe both) are gone, giving space for some younger kids to take up the mantle.  This is also assuming the Devils don't make a big splash at free agency.  Throw in Vokoun or whatever backup you'd like to pencil in behind Schneider.  I put Vokoun down because why not more Czechs?  I really dig our Czech-full roster, why not go for every position?   But you could easily entice a backup to play second fiddle to Schneider at a 2mil/year deal.  The cap space will hopefully allow for the bonus overages to not get us into trouble.  Also obviously I have way too many players, but we have Kinkaid or another signed backup for the goalie position and hopefully Schneider gets his new deal as well. 

@ Tri,  Yes, I assumed that the only reason they went over would have been the Ruutu deal.  I'm assuming Lou would have known he would have gone over and I'm hoping he had a plan to deal the bonuses overages this upcoming year.  It makes the Ruutu deal a bit more regrettable, but I'm hopeful for Ruutu's future here.  I think he'll be a good contributor, he can kind of be the new Zubrus, who you can plug holes in your lineup with, whether that hole is in the top 6 or bottom 6. 

Armchair roster inspired by http://www.inlouwetrust.com/2014/6/8/5792074/a-reasonable-fantasy-roster-projection-for-2014-2015
Commenter Acasser over at ILWT

Edited by RizzMB30

FTR, the article states:

So Mirtle isn't saying it is all due to Jagr, but most of it is from his bonuses. 

Yeah but again, NJ only had $3,060,000 in bonuses - Gelinas had some bonuses and didn't make them.  Olesz had some bonuses and didn't make them.  Ditto Gelinas and Boucher.  Hard to exceed the cap by more than that amount.

The Devils spent $8.5M on goaltending - two #1 goalies is expensive. I don't think anyone in the league spent more.

Yup and at least for next season our goalie expenses will be in half but expected to go up again in 2015-2016. Our cap situation is manageable especially when you factor that Salvador, Ryder, Brunner, Jagr, Zidlicky all come off the books next offseason with Ruutu, Elias, Zubrus, Volchenkov the following year. Also who knows about Clowe.

Yup and at least for next season our goalie expenses will be in half but expected to go up again in 2015-2016. Our cap situation is manageable especially when you factor that Salvador, Ryder, Brunner, Jagr, Zidlicky all come off the books next offseason with Ruutu, Elias, Zubrus, Volchenkov the following year. Also who knows about Clowe.

I'm hoping Clowe has an injury free season and shows what an asset he is

look at players that had concussions lately, like Crosby...it looked like one more hit and he was done a few seasons ago, but last season he was good to go

theres another player or two that looked like it was over for them and they bounced back...thats what I'm hoping for

The thing about the cap overages is that let's say NJ is working with a 68 million cap, well they get the same bonus cushion, and Zidlicky and Jagr are already signed up with bonuses.  So they can just repeat this next year.

When you say "repeat this next year", you mean last year's bonuses do impact our 2014-2015 cap, but our 2014-2015 bonuses can shift to 2015-2016 cap, so we're kinda status quo?

Edited by DJ Eco

I'm hoping Clowe has an injury free season and shows what an asset he is

look at players that had concussions lately, like Crosby...it looked like one more hit and he was done a few seasons ago, but last season he was good to go

theres another player or two that looked like it was over for them and they bounced back...thats what I'm hoping for

Yup, when he got into the swing of things last year, his value was there. Great player, I can see why Sharks fans loved him. Hope he can bounce back with an injury-free season. Would love to see how Clowe leads this team in a playoff run scenario.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=722750&navid=nhl:topheads

COL is taking ROR to arbitration.  Interesting development.  I could see them losing ROR or Stasny here this offseason. 

If they get Stastny resigned, I'd probably look to trade ROR since he probably won't sign there after going to arbitration and them dicking him around a couple years ago

Lots of high quality centers apparently on the move this offseason.

Kesler, Spezza, Stastny, potentially RoR .. would love to see the Devils get in on the action.

Zajac would be a PERFECT 2C.  Devils would be dynamite with a offensively creative 1C.