2014 UFA Signing Thread

Devilsfan118

Hayes probably has a job to lose. I assume that's why he went to NYR 

Not necessarily. Last year, they swapped Christian Thomas for Danny Kristo. Most assumed Kristo could make the jump. Instead, he needed a whole season in Hartford and led them in goals. A year later, his status is uncertain with other prospects ahead of him. It would be wrong to rush a player following college. Look at how Detroit does it. They are patient and develop properly. The Rangers brought in all these vets to compete for spots. So, at most you'll see 1 or 2 kids on the roster in October.

Not necessarily. Last year, they swapped Christian Thomas for Danny Kristo. Most assumed Kristo could make the jump. Instead, he needed a whole season in Hartford and led them in goals. A year later, his status is uncertain with other prospects ahead of him. It would be wrong to rush a player following college. Look at how Detroit does it. They are patient and develop properly. The Rangers brought in all these vets to compete for spots. So, at most you'll see 1 or 2 kids on the roster in October.

He signed on the dotted line, so the Rangers can send him to Hartford if they want, but the reason he didn't sign with Chicago was that he felt that there wouldn't be a spot for him on the NHL roster.  I imagine that when he was talking with teams, he was trying to get some assurances that there would be a spot for him.  Those assurances would not be worth the paper they're not even written on, but you don't want to have the reputation of negotiating in bad faith, which is what it would look like if he plays well enough in the preseason, but plays most of the regular season in Hartford. 

Agreed with you guys, I do not like this move. This team needs to get younger. I hate to see us taking on more players who are far past their prime and won't help the Devils become a better team in the future, or even now for that matter. Hopefully this goes just as it did for Stralman...well, except for the part where he becomes an effective player for the Rangers.

I hope Mantzas is wrong, but I could definitely see him taking that 3C spot over JJ, even though Jake would likely have a better year than Gomez.

Josefson is no lock to be the third line center in NJ. He's been a big disappointment offensively over the last few years just as Tedenby was. Zajac, Elias, and Henrique are more likely to be the top three centers imo and Ruutu will probably have a shot at this as well if Henrique is played on the wing.

Edited by Guest

Agreed with you guys, I do not like this move. This team needs to get younger. I hate to see us taking on more players who are far past their prime and won't help the Devils become a better team in the future, or even now for that matter. Hopefully this goes just as it did for Stralman...well, except for the part where he becomes an effective player for the Rangers.

I hope Mantzas is wrong, but I could definitely see him taking that 3C spot over JJ, even though Jake would likely have a better year than Gomez.

Josefson's numbers and Gomez's numbers are basically the same.  Josefson has to beat out Gomez - if he can't do that, he's not likely to make the NHL, period.

I thought Josefson looked really good in the last few games of the year last year. He looked way more impressive than he ever has. Hopefully he can keep that intensity up.

i was thinking the same thing, but i feel like he kind of comes and goes a little bit..not sure if he is going to have the consistency to stick around here.

Wow that was a great scoop by FansFavorite.com on Gomez returning to the Devils. This site broke the story and has an inside team source. CHECK it OUT  http://www.fansfavorite.com/2014/08/sources-scott-gomez-to-return-to-nj.html

Looks like they're vamping up Devils coverage and looking for writers!

dude, if you want to pump up your own site just say it straight up, otherwise you sound like a phishing scam or something.

dude, if you want to pump up your own site just say it straight up, otherwise you sound like a phishing scam or something.

Could be worse, could be Dino Costa trying to get people to tune in so they could hear his stirring take on why the Devils will bring Kovalchuk back.

Justin Schultz signed in Edmonton to a one-year 3.675 million dollar contract. Could this mean that other RFA offensive dmen sign? Hope we sign Gelly to a 2/4.5

Gelly getting 2.25 mil after just half a season last year?  No way at that price.

Edited by DevsMan84

Gelly getting 2.25 mil after just half a season last year?  No way at that price.

Gelinas in his first NHL year produced just as well as Schultz and isn't a dumpster fire in his own zone (though EG is not a defensive stalwart by any means). The Schultz contract sucks, but I don't see why Gelinas' agent couldn't get at least 2 million per year. Gelinas is a physical freak of nature and has so much more  room to grow