Peter Forsberg?

bombsquad2004

Just wondering if anybody has any insight on what Peter Forsberg's status is these days? Is he playing actively, or is he a potential mercenary-for-hire?

I know this is wishful thinking, but just the thought of Forsberg dishing the puck to Kovalchuk or Elias is pretty salivating...

What's your opinion?

Forsberg is playing for Modo of the Swedish Elite League. According to hockeydb.com, he's got 20 points in 17 games. Even if he was willing to come to Jersey (which he isn't, he only wants to play for Philly or Colorado) I don't think Lou could sign him because 1) he can't break his SEL contract and 2) I think free agents signed after January are ineligible for the playoffs.

Forsberg is playing for Modo of the Swedish Elite League. According to hockeydb.com, he's got 20 points in 17 games. Even if he was willing to come to Jersey (which he isn't, he only wants to play for Philly or Colorado) I don't think Lou could sign him because 1) he can't break his SEL contract and 2) I think free agents signed after January are ineligible for the playoffs.

But he is app. 100 years old, so that makes this signing very Lou-like.

jk

Seriously, they don't need any more parts, what they need is chemistry. Once they all start to click again, this team has some serious damage potential, I do think they need to stop waiting on 'chuck to do something and let him find his own shot.

I disagree, they most certainly need an upgrade on the defense, even with the return of Paul Martin considered. They still need another D-man.

A) Nothing needs to be changed but their mentality. Typical Devils this year, when they give 110% I don't think any team can beat us, but then the next night they'll give 60% and be very lax. The championships of years past have been 110% 99.9% of every game played that season. This year we are getting that perfect execution and effort eh about 75% of the season thus far. So yes chemistry, but more so the Cup mentality is needed.

B) The defense is fine. If you don't know about Mark Fraser now, you'll never know. If any thing needs to happen, it's trade Colin White for a beach umbrella, because he is terrible. I can't believe he made all decade team.

:koolaid:

PS I hate Forsberg. Not knocking his capabilities because ill say through my teeth he is a great player, but I don't like him. And you might say to me, "you'll like him in a devils jersey!" No. Just like Kovalchuk, if you dont' have Devils philosophy in you, youre just going to hurt us. It's something youre born with and Lou knows how to find it. If you told me Oduya and Bergfors for Kovalchuk, i would have paused for 5 seconds and said let's do it. If you said Kovalchuk makes us a championship team I'd say no. HE has to believe in our philosophy and our appreciation for the game of hockey. The only way makes a move like Kovy, or Mogiliny, or in fantasy, Forsberg, is because the players skill level is way too good to pass up. But by doing that Lou isn't being Lou the Great, he is making that deal and for that instant, he is equal to any other GM, for that instant, but its because you have to. I don't care if youre Kovy or Eric Cairns, skill level has nothing to do with making the Devils good, better, or best.

Edited by Snookie = 9

Agreed. While Forsberg isn't coming here, it was a nice little daydream to have.

But yeah, LL should definitely try to make a move for a quality D-man. If the price is too high then it might not be worth it, but even a solid, stay-at-home D-man could make our D look more formidable.

I'd rather go into the playoffs with just 1 shaky pairing of the Mottau-White-Fraser-Salmela combo, than both of the combo pairings looking vulnerable.

A Brad Lukowich/Richard Matvichuk type D-man could do us a lotta good as we move ahead...just hoping that Marty will play lights out the rest of the way is leaving way too much to chance.

I disagree, they most certainly need an upgrade on the defense, even with the return of Paul Martin considered. They still need another D-man.

I'd rather go into the playoffs with just 1 shaky pairing of the Mottau-White-Fraser-Salmela combo, than both of the combo pairings looking vulnerable.

Ill agree with White/Salmela being sketch, Mottau its too close to call, but Fraser is a beast, he's been our best defenseman for the last 15 games or so. Does that prove the Defense is shaky maybe so, ill cave. Fraser Mottau are probably the best out every defenseman in the organization at this current point and time. I'll give you Mottau if you really want it. Then again he's the only one trying his heart out. The problem is when they get the puck down low with a forechecker on them they try and stop and post up for a second instead of whip it hard around the boards. They've had this sense of entitlement all this season.

I think people should stop reading the newspapers and actually watch him play nowadays, before they give their own opinion about the player. He still got a lot to offer, and he pretty much does what ever he wants in the swedish elite league. Unfortunately, he's a player which is very injury prone and he has missed some of games this season. Mostly due to the fact that every team goes after him, just because he's Forsberg.

I think he still has the quality and motivation for success. But I don't think the team that would sign him, can expect that he would be able to play a full season + play offs. He recently stated that he doesn't see NHL as a alternative anymore. So I don't we'll ever see Forsberg in a Devils jersey.

Some fun facts for you, both Peter Forsberg and Marcus Näslund made their comeback in Modo when the team had huge problems, and they play to help the team to the playoffs. Their contracts? Well, both of them make exactly 0$ from playing in Modo. Modo offered them good offers, but they insisted to play for free, to help the club out financially. Modo then offered them some kind of bonus if they made the playoffs. They both rejected that offer and insisted that they both should play for free.

With that said. I'm very thankful that I have the possibility to see the greatest player ever to come out of Modo and Sweden. He might not be in the NHL anymore, but while he's still a dominant force in the Swedish Elite League, i think it's ridiculous to say that he should retire.

Good input tahlberg. I gotta admit that when I watched Forsberg the other night, he still showed off some of the skills that made him so great. The skating and playmaking are still there along with instincts. But he also wisely stayed away from the trenches, almost sneaking up like on the 2nd Swede goal. He just can't handle the physicality anymore. Tremendous player.

Good input tahlberg. I gotta admit that when I watched Forsberg the other night, he still showed off some of the skills that made him so great. The skating and playmaking are still there along with instincts. But he also wisely stayed away from the trenches, almost sneaking up like on the 2nd Swede goal. He just can't handle the physicality anymore. Tremendous player.

Worth mentioning is that he just returned from a rib injury that kept him away from play for a quite a while. He played with special protection in the Olympics because of that. Before the injury he still played with the physical play we're used of seeing from him.

He was very physical in his first dozen or so games (and averaged almost 2 PPG during that period), but since he got the rib injury and missed some time around the new year he's seemed more timid. He barely skated during the Olympics, it seemed like everything he did was in slow motion. But then again that goes for the entire Swedish team...