Rangers-Caps shootout

NJDevs4978

I was sorta sadistically hoping they'd go through the whole lineup. I didn't watch any of the game really, I picked it up in like the seventh or eighth round of the shootout and watched the rest of it.

I have to admit, regardless of whether you're the most ardent Ranger hater in the world or not, you don't have a sense of humor if you didn't get even a little chuckle out of Malik scoring. Even forwards wouldn't dare try that move :blink:

Edited by Hasan4978

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kolzig should shoot himself for letting that big goof score on him like that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Strudwick's was actually the worse goal considering the Caps finally got the lead at that point, gotta give the big goof credit, that was a GOOD move :doh1:

This shootout brings up an interesting debate point though, we know people are divided on the shootout itself, but I think in the Olympics you can go back to your original five shooters if I remember correctly? Would everyone rather rotate the five or so best shooters, or go through the whole lineup? In a way, it's more entertaining seeing defensemen trying to score and actually makes it more team-oriented, but on the other hand if the first few guys don't decide it and the shootout drones on for ten minutes it can be boring as hell unless something ridiculous like the Malik goal happens.

Edited by Hasan4978

Strudwick's was actually the worse goal considering the Caps finally got the lead at that point, gotta give the big goof credit, that was a GOOD move :doh1:

This shootout brings up an interesting debate point though, we know people are divided on the shootout itself, but I think in the Olympics you can go back to your original five shooters if I remember correctly?  Would everyone rather rotate the five or so best shooters, or go through the whole lineup?  In a way, it's more entertaining seeing defensemen trying to score but on the other hand if the first few guys don't score and the shootout drones on for ten minutes it can be boring as hell.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Im almost 99.9% sure thats how the AHL and ECHL do it as well which is why I didn't understand why the NHL decided to only do 3 shooters.

So was it "exciting" watching it?  Do the backup goaltenders get a shot?  Maybe they should have just let it be a tie game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think it was that exciting, some of those defensemen should have never been allowed to come out and take a shot. Some of their shots were so horrible it was actually kinda bad to watch.

Actually Rock I was getting kinda bored through most of it with miss after miss though as I said sadistically I wanted them to go through the whole lineup, which is why I asked would it be better just to reset the lineup and have the best players decide it?

But three of the last four skaters somehow scored so that was sort of entertaining seeing those defensemen who can't score get goals, I guess the goalies were tired and wanted to go home :P

And I don't get why the lineup's three instead of five to start with, I guess some of the rationale is it creates more drama and the best shooters almost always get a chance (if you had a five-man shootout and stick Jagr at the end, half the time he'd never get a shot). But whether it's three or five, should it reset at the end of it was my question?

Edited by Hasan4978

I was sorta sadistically hoping they'd go through the whole lineup.  I didn't watch any of the game really, I picked it up in like the seventh or eighth round of the shootout and watched the rest of it.

I have to admit, regardless of whether you're the most ardent Ranger hater in the world or not, you don't have a sense of humor if you didn't get even a little chuckle out of Malik scoring.  Even forwards wouldn't dare try that move :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought it was hilarious. Helluva shot. Sucks the Rangers won, but that was definately funny, and Malik's reaction afterwards was funny too.

Okay...back from that marathon. I echo the sentiment that it got boring because it was so evident that it was going to take forever to decide it. At that point, I didn't care. I wanted someone to end it.

When Renney sent out Strudwick, I figured game over. Come on. No way he scores to keep it going, right? Wrong :doh1:.

The move Malik made was ridiculous. I thought for sure he was going to the backhand there. Uh, wow. That's only something Lemieux's pulled off. Cheechoo also did it in a playoff game but as a one-timer.

Marek is not an oaf either. He's got pretty soft hands for a big defenseman. But still, it was an incredible ending to a blah game. The Rangers played like garbage. How they got two points I have no clue. The Capitals were all over the ice and played their butts off. Maybe it's the hockey gods finally smiling down on them.

Oh, and for what it's worth. When it goes that long, it becomes pathetic. I was hoping it would go thru all 18 shooters and maybe they'd have the goalies decide it.

For all the talk about how we the hockey fans feel, you should have heard how much coverage this got on WFAN. Tony Paige was talking about it a ton and there were a lot of calls from what I'd call casual fans. And boy, as much as it might be frowned upon by us, when you have average people calling up raving about it, it means something. The league has been getting no publicity since it returned. Well, this kind of thing got people talking.

And btw...if you haven't heard Mike Crispino's call, you need to. :rofl::rofl:

Hey I gotta admit that I wasn't crazy about the idea, but I don't think its that bad. I think a majority of the fans are warming up to the idea, and its not a bad idea to eliminate ties from the game either because you always have closure after every game. Plus the looser still gets a point out of the effort.

I don't think rotating 3 or 5 shooters is a good idea. Like what was mentioned before, the "team" effort is there since everyone has to shoot before you start over. I'd much rather that then see Jagr 6 times.

LGD, I know everyone is allowed to have their own opinion, and I have no intention of taking it away. But I am curious why you don't try to warm up to it a little more. It's not so bad once you get used to the ideas they have. And if they have some really bad ideas, they can always go back and change things.

Edited by njdevils_info

LGD, I know everyone is allowed to have their own opinion, and I have no intention of taking it away.  But I am curious why you don't try to warm up to it a little more.  It's not so bad once you get used to the ideas they have.  And if they have some really bad ideas, they can always go back and change things.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Never have and never will be a fan of the shootout. Its an all-star gimmick and nothing more. The rule on restricting goalies play on the puck has got to go too.

I agreed with the goalie thing until I saw a few times during power plays where if a goalie played the puck in the corner, it would have killed a good chance by the opposing team.

However, I've always said don't restrict the goalies ability to play the puck, but rather make him fair game outside of the crease. (His whole body would need to be outside of the crease for this to work).

And I believe the "gimmicky" part of the shootout was the main reason why the GM's and NHL heads liked the idea so much. Gimmicky things are what fans typically like.

I'm not here to change your opinion, don't get me wrong. That would be narrow minded of me. I just wanted to see if there might be a way to lessen the passion of hatrid towards the shootout.

What if you try this: next shootout don't sit there and think how much you hate it. Sit there with an empty yet open mind to the idea the NHL was going for. If after that you sill can't stand it, then hate away :evil:

I don't mind going through the whole roster - I think it's kinda neat.

But I WOULD rather see a minimum of 5 shooters instead of the current 3. Seems like it would give the fans (those who enjoy it) a little more for their money.

Not a fan of the shootout though. I hate having a game that emphasizes team more than any other, being decided with 1-on-1's.

And btw...if you haven't heard Mike Crispino's call, you need to.

Agreed. Absolutely priceless.

What if you try this: next shootout don't sit there and think how much you hate it.  Sit there with an empty yet open mind to the idea the NHL was going for.  If after that you sill can't stand it, then hate away :evil:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thing is I have hated them way before the NHL decided to get them. I watched the Trenton Titans(ECHL) play in shootouts for years and I never liked them. The NHL made enough rule changes for this year, and all of those would have decreased ties so much that no one would have even complained. So hopefully the NHL realizes that and get rid of this shootout next season.

I think they should just flip a coin like they do in the NFL.

Man, that was funny.... I guess if you're only going to get one chance at this all year (they'll likely never get to Malik again), you show 'em your trick move. :)