NJ bans trash talk from high school sporting events

*sigh*....but "we're all winners when we play...."

I guess the next step is to stop keeping score right??

Maybe a public apology for being better then the other guy too......

*sigh*....but "we're all winners when we play...."

I guess the next step is to stop keeping score right??

Maybe a public apology for being better then the other guy too......

lol. We'd like to accept this trophy of victory and hand it over to the losing team for being good sports about everything!

I hate what we're becoming (we've become).

No dodgeball, no trash talk, participation trophies for everyone. Whatever happened to "stick and stones..." I can't wait to raise a child in this nanny atmosphere.

As Reginald "Reg" Dunlop said: "What are you running here, a goddamn dance floor?"

I hate what we're becoming (we've become).

No dodgeball, no trash talk, participation trophies for everyone. Whatever happened to "stick and stones..." I can't wait to raise a child in this nanny atmosphere.

As Reginald "Reg" Dunlop said: "What are you running here, a goddamn dance floor?"

110% agree with you...I have taught my kids to question everything and stay true to your convictions. This "PC" atmosphere is a joke.

I need to stop before I go on and on about this!

Lemmings....

Sent from my Galaxy TAB using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Devlin

perfect example with whats wrong with us as Americans.  Raising kids who aim to achieve a participation trophy has brought us to this point.

people consider themselves, and their kids, as self-entitled... what a shame man

• Like 1

perfect example with whats wrong with us as Americans.  Raising kids who aim to achieve a participation trophy has brought us to this point.

people consider themselves, and their kids, as self-entitled... what a shame man

That's not the point, whatsoever. Being a student-athlete is an extention of the classroom and a representation of your school. One of the main codes of conduct of being a student/athlete is sportsmanship. As a matter of fact, sportsmanship is spelled out right in the NJSIAA handbook, so this really shouldn't be news. The problem is that coaches and schools have let these smart mouth kids get out of hand with behavior and it's created a newsworthy event that shouldn't be. IMO, there are too many coaches who aren't preaching discipline and conduct and too many arrogant smart mouthed kids with parents who are just as bad encouraging it and acting with the "sense of entitlement" you speak of.

• Like 1

That's not the point, whatsoever. Being a student-athlete is an extention of the classroom and a representation of your school. One of the main codes of conduct of being a student/athlete is sportsmanship. As a matter of fact, sportsmanship is spelled out right in the NJSIAA handbook, so this really shouldn't be news. The problem is that coaches and schools have let these smart mouth kids get out of hand with behavior and it's created a newsworthy event that shouldn't be. IMO, there are too many coaches who aren't preaching discipline and conduct and too many arrogant smart mouthed kids with parents who are just as bad encouraging it and acting with the "sense of entitlement" you speak of.

I wouldn't AT ALL be surprised if this was fueled by hurting kids' feelings just as much as it is with what you stated

Disgraceful. Trash talking is part of sports. What a joke.

That's absurd. Trash talking is not some time-honored tradition. It is completely frivolous to the competition of sports. It's the realm of a bunch of self-indulgent jerks with ego problems.

I do agree though with whoever said that this will be hell to officiate. Games could get bogged down with finger-pointing.

Does this law even have any teeth or was it just passed so they can say they tried to do something?  What is the punishment for trash talking and how is this going to be enforced?

Ref: Did I just hear you hurl a derogation towards a member of the opposing team?

Player 1: No, I said that to my teammate who totally missed that wide open net!

Player 2: No way! He said that to me! He also said this, that and the other thing!

Ref: Oh he did, did he?! You! Box!! 2 minutes unsportsmanlike! And an automatic suspension hearing with the insult and profanity police!!

That how I picture it going  :rolleyes:

I don't see the no-trashtalking rule as a symptom of the wussification of America; I see it as a symptom of growing coarseness and indecency, and increased permissiveness from coaches and parents for allowing it. High school kids shouldn't be trashtalking, and we shouldn't need a rule to realize that.

The participation trophy bugs me, by the way. I detest it.

i dont know how you can try to enforce something ridiculous like this..

Completely Bullsh!t calls will be made, that's how, like getting "flagged" for pointing to God, or putting your hands up in celebration as you run into the endzone for "taunting"

The problem is that coaches and schools have let these smart mouth kids get out of hand with behavior and it's created a newsworthy event that shouldn't be. IMO, there are too many coaches who aren't preaching discipline and conduct and too many arrogant smart mouthed kids with parents who are just as bad encouraging it and acting with the "sense of entitlement" you speak of.

You don't penalize trash talking in the game. It is the coaches place to punish it with benchings and such, not a refs job to penalize a team. sh!tty attitudes invoke Karma, and she's a real bitch. It's what makes getting over on a loud mouthed taunting prick ALL the better and satisfying. So if the "law" is punished outside the actual game, I'm all for it. But if it leads to penalties during a game, then that is horsesh!t.

That's absurd. Trash talking is not some time-honored tradition. It is completely frivolous to the competition of sports. It's the realm of a bunch of self-indulgent jerks with ego problems.

I do agree though with whoever said that this will be hell to officiate. Games could get bogged down with finger-pointing.

Finger pointing is a violation mister!!!

I highly doubt the punishment is an in-game penalty.  It would be ridiculous for them to write up a new rule for every single sport, and in something like baseball or tennis where there are no powerplays or free throws how can you create such a penalty?

• 4 weeks later...

I don't see the no-trashtalking rule as a symptom of the wussification of America; I see it as a symptom of growing coarseness and indecency, and increased permissiveness from coaches and parents for allowing it. High school kids shouldn't be trashtalking, and we shouldn't need a rule to realize that.

The participation trophy bugs me, by the way. I detest it.

Kids take it too far today. I don't necessarily agree with banning it. It's more a symptom of what's wrong with society. Look at the support this topic gets. It's one thing when pros do it. Sportsmanship is an important part of competitive sports. I'm proud that I get to see it during the winter when I work high school basketball games.

If current taunting penalties that are in place already were enforced properly, this would be a non issue

Exactly. There's rules on the books in every sport about being unsportsmanlike or whatever. No need to ban an integral part of sports and being male: Ball busting and trash talking. Now, if a ref happens to overhear racist/bigoted remarks or actually threatening remarks, that's a whole other thing as you cannot do anything that could remotely be considered condoning such things, but regular old trash talking is ok in my book.

Kids take it too far today. I don't necessarily agree with banning it. It's more a symptom of what's wrong with society. Look at the support this topic gets. It's one thing when pros do it. Sportsmanship is an important part of competitive sports. I'm proud that I get to see it during the winter when I work high school basketball games.

Kids don't take it too far today. Kids are kids and always have been. I don't care if you were born in 1910 or 2010. I do not for one second buy the nostalgic 'back in my day' crap.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.