Is Matt Taormina the real deal?

Derlique

He's the real deal with Bill McNeal.

*Srsly tho--let's wait a while before we answer that. Don't forget that so many players can go for extended streaks where they look brilliant, only to later fade into obscurity, like Jim Carey (G), Lalime (G), or even our once-own Sean Brown (who had a great 10-20 game streak for us in another life).

Taormina looks good offensively, but at the NHL level, you need to be able to do that night in night out over the length of an entire season, that is, if you want to be considered a really good player.

Hasn't been a surprise at all to me. Last night he got off to a rough start in his own end but played better as the game went on. Offensively I haven't seen him come close to maxing out his potential. This kid has a very accurate shot and should be able to get more pucks towards the net.

Considering we struggle offensively as long as they are getting thorugh, then it can't be too bad of a thing. The main reason he is successful---he can skate. He's only gonna get better.

Shots from the point creates offense. If we had two players well over 100 shots we would have offense regardless of our forwards.

NO

He cant pass to save his life. His goal last nite was a floater that Price mistimed. His assist to Kovy in Buffalo was a result of a fortunate bounce his way. His breakouts and reads are horrible. He has been the worst defenseman on a terrible defense so far. I dont know why hes even in the NHL.

He seems to be pretty smart as well. He obviously was patient enough to wait for traffic to screen Carey Price before firing a shot and getting it blocked which happened alot whenever a Devs player fired from the point.

Thats cuz he didnt know what else to do.

Edited by devlman

i think he brings some good things that the devils haven't had - reliable hard shot that hits the net and gets through from the point. he's a bit of an adventure in his own zone right now and his breakout passes are slightly above average in my opinion.

right now, he's riding the same wave andy greene rode last year so let's not go crazy just yet.

NO

He cant pass to save his life. His goal last nite was a floater that Price mistimed. His assist to Kovy in Buffalo was a result of a fortunate bounce his way. His breakouts and reads are horrible. He has been the worst defenseman on a terrible defense so far. I dont know why hes even in the NHL.

Wow. It's one thing to be skeptical of the kid, but you are way off base, if you ask me. I won't believe this kid is for real until we see the same performance for the next 20-30 games, but to deny the fact that he has been very good for an NHL rookie defenseman playing 20+ minutes a night, you have to be blind.

Wow. It's one thing to be skeptical of the kid, but you are way off base, if you ask me. I won't believe this kid is for real until we see the same performance for the next 20-30 games, but to deny the fact that he has been very good for an NHL rookie defenseman playing 20+ minutes a night, you have to be blind.

Well until last night we had one win in 5 with a terrible D. So him playing 20:00 min doesnt say much to any good he has done. To me, he has not looked good, not even for a rookie. Hes a good skater and has potential in that department. Hes Mike Mottau's step-child.

Well the only defenseman to play more even strength time than Taormina was Corrente, so Jmac certainly feels comfortable with him in our own end.

Was going to wait until about 20 games in to kinda go over a few points, but it seems to me that Johnny Mac is more comfortable with the kids he has first hand experience with in the AHL last year then some of the players that have been with the club. Tao instead of Greene stands out the most in my mind.

Not saying it's neccesarily a bad thing, but it was something I have noticed from the first game. Maybe Tao has outplayed greene in practice, but it has stood out to me.

OMG had plenty of ice time last night<deservedly so> as well.

joe