Kovy and Lokti - 2013 IIHF World Championship

Aznjsn

well to be honest i'd REALLY like to see Kovy play with more energy and hustle, especially on the backcheck... he's often gliding towards where he's heading rather than skating full speed ala Gionta, Carter, Parise etc etc. even when he'd really need to.

i'd like to see a Kovalchuk playing steady like he is when he goes on a mission and take over a whole shift cause he want to make something happen. Im never sure if its him sticking to the system and slowing things down or just the way he is. But certainly when Kovy decides "alright, this puck is on the net in the next 10-15 seconds" it's always a fvcking beauty.

I think it's him pacing himself and sticking to the system. If he went that speed 25 minutes a game, he'd be dead. Gio can get away with that playing 4th line minutes. The important thing with Kovy is tends to turn it on when it matters, like the playoffs last year as someone said earlier. I'd love to have seen what he could have done with a healthy back.

I think it's him pacing himself and sticking to the system. If he went that speed 25 minutes a game, he'd be dead. Gio can get away with that playing 4th line minutes. The important thing with Kovy is tends to turn it on when it matters, like the playoffs last year as someone said earlier. I'd love to have seen what he could have done with a healthy back.

well not to bring that a$$hole back into the discussion but Zach was going full speed and playing 20+ minutes. Same thing with Ovechkin and a bunch of guys... their bodies might not hold and Kovy might last longer that way of course. I'd just like to see that part of his game more often cause his gliding on the backcheck certainly cost us a few times. And when he's going on a mission godamnit he's so fvcking dangerous he's creating a very good scoring chance almost every time

Edited by SterioDesign

well not to bring that a$$hole back into the discussion but Zach was going full speed and playing 20+ minutes. Same thing with Ovechkin and a bunch of guys... their bodies might not hold and Kovy might last longer that way of course. I'd just like to see that part of his game more often cause his gliding on the backcheck certainly cost us a few times. And when he's going on a mission godamnit he's so fvcking dangerous he's creating a very good scoring chance almost every time

Ovechkin doesn't play penalty kill, so this is already a moot point, not to mention he doesn't play the minutes Kovalchuk does. Even Zach doesn't play the kind of minutes Kovalchuk plays, and it's debatable whether or not Zach's style of play can be maintained in the long-run.

Kovalchuk paces himself the same exact reason Brodeur paces himself. He wants to play in every situation he can, every game he can, and he wants to still be able to be effective in his late-30s and beyond. Kovalchuk and Brodeur put less wear and tear on their bodies in the way they play, and for similar reasons.

Also to add: Kovalchuk has assumed more of a quarterback role in just about every situation he plays now. He rushes into the zone, sets up way more plays than the guys you mentioned, or many players of his caliber. Asking to see more "heart" from him is like asking Peyton Manning why he isn't showing the heart or "effort" that his offensive tackle is.

Whoa, didn't mean to cause an actual conversation lol I accidentally implied Kovy has no heart, I honestly meant that I wish Gionta had the body and talent to go with his work ethic.

i dont think no one implied Kovy had no heart either. I'd just like to see more hustle and less gliding from Kovy

how come a guy like lil gio sees some success and a tedenby doesnt? 

Gio didn't reach the NHL until he was about 28. He didn't do anything spectacular in the AHL, either.

Teddy, as much as he's disliked here and as lacking as his overall game is, did manage 22 points in his first NHL season as a 21 year old.

how come a guy like lil gio sees some success and a tedenby doesnt? 

Because one's an NHL player and the other isn't?

Gio didn't reach the NHL until he was about 28. He didn't do anything spectacular in the AHL, either.

Teddy, as much as he's disliked here and as lacking as his overall game is, did manage 22 points in his first NHL season as a 21 year old.

This is a thread about the World Championships, probably the other poster meant why is Gio playing a big role for USA and Tedenby a non-factor for Sweden.

Since the last two games vs. France (L1-2) and Finland (L2-3) Loktionov isn't playing on the first line with Kovy and Radulov anymore.  He was demoted to the 3rd or 4th Line . Played 12 min. vs. France and only 9 min. vs Finland.  He has 1 Point (1A) so far.

Gionta just keeps scoring over there lol. What a dream come true for him in this past year. Making it into the Stanley Cup and now a spot on the national team for the World Championships.

as if he cares about all of that glory and everything he's accomplishing... he obviously gets home and look at his corsi numbers and drink himself to sleep, crying over the obvious failure he really is when you reaaaaaaaaally look into it and ignore the results.

:whistling:

Kovy was not happy today. Not sure of the context, though.

iL8gwzkR7jf8o.gif

I like Kovy's "compete level" against the Finns.  Finns can be very obnoxious, so who knows what they must have said to him...