Things you can't stand at a hockey game

spyro

And I forgot my biggest pet peeve--someone who sits there and is obviously with a friend less enthusiastic about hockey--and calls the name of EVERY PLAYER THAT TOUCHES THE PUCK. Whether they commentate or not, it bugs me like nothing else. I know the players' names...

I must admit, I used to do that. I apologize.

I'd say the players names when they touched the puck. Especially during a PP or when the game was getting intense. I wasn't attempting to do play-by-play, or even to show off, I was mostly trying to prove to myself that I could keep up with the flow and that I knew who was who. Sometimes when you're sitting up high, it's hard to see the players' numbers right away.

Anyway, the last thing I wanted to be was that "annoying guy" so I cut that sh!t out. ... These days I do it in my head.

But I'm all for getting excited about the game and making noise and cheering our players. So if a Devils players breaks out on a rush, I will shout his name, like "C'mon Zach!" or "Patrik!" or "Go, Madden!"

Or if a Devils player lays out a big hit, I will yell out his name, such as "Alright, Colin!" or "Yeah, Zubrus!" or "Get 'em Rupp!"

Along the lines with what some others have said, too often our fans are dead quiet. Sometimes I wonder if they even know who our own players are -- never mind the other team's.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I'm all for getting excited about the game and making noise and cheering our players. So if a Devils players breaks out on a rush, I will shout his name, like "C'mon Zach!" or "Patrik!" or "Go, Madden!"

Or if a Devils player lays out a big hit, I will yell out his name, such as "Alright, Colin!" or "Yeah, Zubrus!" or "Get 'em Rupp!"

haha I do that crap ALL THE FRIGGIN TIME!

I'd say the players names when they touched the puck. Especially during a PP or when the game was getting intense. I wasn't attempting to do play-by-play, or even to show off, I was mostly trying to prove to myself that I could keep up with the flow and that I knew who was who. Sometimes when you're sitting up high, it's hard to see the players' numbers right away.

Anyway, the last thing I wanted to be was that "annoying guy" so I cut that sh!t out. ... These days I do it in my head.

Along the lines with what some others have said, too often our fans are dead quiet. Sometimes I wonder if they even know who our own players are -- never mind the other team's.

That is exactly what I do! :D

Haha...I don't blame you for it, because I totally do what you were talking about. I yell at the players like I know them, and like they can hear me. But that's not what I complain about...but yeah, I totally do that too. Especially with Zach because he just seems like a real friendly guy :rolleyes: .

I don't have time to read through all 11 pages of this thread, so some of these may have been touched on:

Kids who scream and scream and scream regardless of what's happpening on the ice, accompanied by clueless parents who let their little bundles of joy do whatever they want without thinking of the fans around them.

Ushers who still haven't figured out that you don't let fans go up to their seats unless there's a stoppage in play, then proceed to give you an attitude if you call them on it.

Lifeless, passive Devils fans (there are too many of 'em).

Overly drunk fans trying to pick fights...doesn't matter who they're rooting for.

People with really loud and/or annoying voices who insist on doing play-by-play for the duration of the game.