A Story About Pro Athletes' Wives...

KitKatTGM

I can't feel sorry for any of these guys. If they get themselves in trouble, that's the risk they took. Just ask Martin Brodeur how he felt when the truth came out. It changed everything.

These guys think they're invincible but as soon as someone has the audacity to leak info, it's their reputations that are on the line and could suffer if they did anything foolish.

I can't feel sorry for any of these guys. If they get themselves in trouble, that's the risk they took. Just ask Martin Brodeur how he felt when the truth came out. It changed everything.

These guys think they're invincible but as soon as someone has the audacity to leak info, it's their reputations that are on the line and could suffer if they did anything foolish.

It doesn't make a difference -- this is stupid. This whole thread is dumb! Love is love. If you love someone you forgive them the worst crap in the world and if you're the betrayer you're prepared to win back trust. Marty was "caught" before the media announced it. There was plenty of time for decisions to be made -- I mean what's to feel sorry for Derek? Maybe he wanted to leave his wife and had to hide behind his sister in law to do it. makes sense to me..

And I don't th ink you're being a fool to expect your husband to NOT cheat! Men are not born cheats... statistically speaking in fact, women are likely. All splits are not sad tales of woe -- some I guess are necessary. Relationships aren't black and white folks or have none of you really been in one? Why is everyone getting self righteous and judgemental? I don't mean to be all tolerant and stuff but all this crap is no one business but the parties involved. In fact the ONLY problem I have with infidelity is dragging others into your freaking life. It's not something we want to know -- it's rubbernecking at an emotional car wreck.

Derek I'm sorry it's always your posts I'm replying to. I don't mean to be exactly :unsure:

You have to realize that athletes are completely different from the everyday person you meet on the streets. Obviously what I am about to type is a generalization, and there will undoubtably be exceptions.

Look at the athletes in most pro sports (not just hockey), many of these guys have been phenominal athletes since they were kids in grade school, dominating at each level of play. Because of that many of them got preferential treatment, from girls, teachers, other students, so on. Then they get to college, and big name "important" schools, are BEGGING them to come to their school, throwing them "gifts", making it easy for them to "pass" as long as they can perform on the field. Now throw in corporate sponsors paying ungodly sums to young athletes, ala Lebron James, and the media pumping you up on the covers of magazines. All along the way EVERYONE telling you how great you are, and people cheering your every move in the arena. Everyone wants to be your friend, girls obsess about you, and would do ANYTHING to get near you.

And the story goes....

Now I am not defending athletes actions, and the above is a sad defense if one were to use it. My only point is it is really quite easy to see how these guys can start to believe their own hype, and that they really are invincible. Are the actions stupid, absolutely, but the actions were set in motion long before the cheating begins.......

My .02

Chris

Ok -- I don't mean to be shouting everyone down on this thread -- but so then what's the excuse for the myriad joe schmoes and dipsh!tes who cheat? Smart/dumb, rich/poor, handsome/buttugly - people are people.

If you're going to cheat you're going to cheat. If Lebron James (for lack of a better generic term) is screwing everything his newly crowned self can I'd say he'd be screwing whatever he could get his hands on regardless. If Kobe Bryant felt he was entitled to have the woman of his choosing now, he would if he was middle class Joe Schmoe or ghetto Joe Schmoe. Man don't you guys watch Jerry Springer/RickyLake/jennyJones etc.etc..

The only truth may be that Middle class Joe Schmoe MIGHT think twice because he has more to lose than Ghetto Joe Schmoe who has nothing and Middle class joe has less potential to get anything back than upperclass Joe Schmoe who's probably got more opportunities/wherewithall to reinvent his life. Other than that you really have no difference.

Everyone IS the same at the heart of it all. That's my opinion anyhow.

My only point is it is really quite easy to see how these guys can start to believe their own hype, and that they really are invincible. Are the actions stupid, absolutely, but the actions were set in motion long before the cheating begins.......

and guess what -- at some point (probably several point in your lifetime even) some woman is going to pick you as her knight in shining armour and it's really going to rock -- and you'll have a choice to make. So are you more or less vulnerable to it than someone who gets the chance every day and twice on Sundays? Is it more or less excusable for either one of you?

Ahh one last point (I hope :evil: ) -- I wouldn't be surprized if Dano's wife felt like he had a Mistress in a Bottle. That's not so far from cheating IMHO. Yeah it's a sickness but controlable all the same.

(ahhhhahahahahaha very funny sammyk!)

If you're going to cheat you're going to cheat. If Lebron James (for lack of a better generic term) is screwing everything his newly crowned self can I'd say he'd be screwing whatever he could get his hands on regardless. If Kobe Bryant felt he was entitled to have the woman of his choosing now,

The difference is oppurtunity. I am in no way defending cheating, wow, I am the farthest thing from that you could imagine. Why does the average schmoe cheat? I can't answer that, stupidity? who knows. BUT the average guy doesn't have women throwing themselves at them at every juncture of their existence. Oppurtunity, and temptation coupled with a belief that "everyone does it" (athletes remember?) make this situation different. And I do not agree with your statement that if you are going to cheat, you're going to cheat. You can start out with the most moral of people, yet day after day, they are offered sexual favors watching as everyone around them accepts, and seemingly no consequences come to them. Over time someone who never intended to cheat may just be led astray. Whereas this same person with the same moral charachter, in a completely different circumstance would make different choices. Was this person a cheater, or was he simply a victim of the enviroment?

and guess what -- at some point (probably several point in your lifetime even) some woman is going to pick you as her knight in shining armour and it's really going to rock -- and you'll have a choice to make. So are you more or less vulnerable to it than someone who gets the chance every day and twice on Sundays? Is it more or less excusable for either one of you?

Because of the upbringing I had, and the moral charachter instilled in me, I can say without question that I could resist the temptation. Had i been raised in the manner I initially described to you, perhaps my stance would be different ( the old nature versus nurture debate), but I wasn't, and so it is not. The manner in which I was raised was completely different than the average pro player, or at least the scenario I set forth. And to answer your last question, no it is never excusable for someone to cheat.

Chris

I think we’re closer in opinion than you give credit Chris --

Had i been raised in the manner I initially described to you, perhaps my stance would be different ( the old nature versus nurture debate), but I wasn't, and so it is not.

So athletes cheat because of the new-found social station? I don't think so. I don't think it is a socio-economic problem necessarily -- in cases where it is then I put to you that as rich men they think they earned the right - as poor men they think society owes them the right.

Because of the upbringing I had, and the moral character instilled in me, I can say without question that I could resist the temptation. The manner in which I was raised was completely different than the average pro player, or at least the scenario I set forth. And to answer your last question, no it is never excusable for someone to cheat.

But if you were a pro athlete you’d flush it all down the sh!tter anyhow just because you’d get worn down? No. You wouldn’t, at least I don’t think. If you would get worn down then you will as the obscure guy you are now too!

I will give you the opportunity is higher and the selection more vast. Perhaps you of genteel upbringing might cave when the 50th gorgeous smart and equally genteel dame came along plying her wares. But I think that women of quality seldom ply their wares in groupie form... which then cuts down on your numbers pretty drastically.

and with the high moral character being bandied about in this thread I think it should be stated here and now...

Yes: SEX IS DIRTY!!

if you do it right :dance:

I don't know if any of you saw the Bill Mahr special on HBO. (It was surprisingly very funny.) Anyway, this thread reminds me of a line in there where he said that it doesn't matter what a woman does b/c when it comes to men wanting other women its all about "old vs. new." As an example he said "Hugh Grant had Elizabeth Hurley at home and he wanted Marvin Hagler with a wig on. " Thought that was funny.

So athletes cheat because of the new-found social station? I don't think so. I don't think it is a socio-economic problem necessarily -- in cases where it is then I put to you that as rich men they think they earned the right - as poor men they think society owes them the right.

Social station plays a part, but my point is more that these guys are told their entire life how wondeful they are and that their athletic skills make them more valuable in society than the average person. The media, and society in general has ( IMO ) falsely created a legion of demi-gods, that are taught they can do no wrong. It is reinforced by the OJ simpsons, Winona Ryders, and any other celebrity that gets a diffrent treatment than you or I would because of "who they are". It happens at Restaurants, Plays, Concerts you name it. It is everywhere. If you get that type of treatment you're bound to start believing it eventually. Again I am not making the argument it is right, merely that it is a different scenario from the average Joe on the street.

But if you were a pro athlete you

It is reinforced by the OJ simpsons, Winona Ryders, and any other celebrity that gets a diffrent treatment than you or I would because of "who they are". 

Sammy, I must tell you I think Winona is incredibly hot :dance: , so believe me I mean No Offense. :D

Chris

Nice posting Chrisq B) you too PK :) all I can say about cheaters is 'When you spit up in the air, it comes down eventually an hits you in the face'. And for the wives who stay with these guys knowing they cheat, they're just as stupid as their guy, only difference being the guy got some! B)