GDT 8: Devils Vs Rangers

Cachorro Louco

Devils win and 50% of the comments are Marty jokes. Unreal the disrespect for the greatest goaltender of all time. Yes, I think Schneider should get 70% of the remaining games. But man, I still love me some Marty.

This is not accurate at all.  What I see is Devils fans (fair ones) being realistic about what they're seeing.  No one is really attacking or ripping on Marty, though I thought Carpathian's benchwarming comment was out of line.  It's fine for fans to state they want Schneider in net, but there's no reason to take disrespectful jabs at Marty while they're at it.  Marty's run of productivity is probably over, but man what a hell of a run it was...far, far outweighs the sample of diminished play we're seeing from Marty now. 

dr33 stated this well in the last GDT, but if the Devils keep trying to make Marty happen at Schneider's expense, it's only because they're trapped in the past, not seeing Marty for what he currently is. and giving him too much respect because of it.  If Marty was five years younger, I could understand the "we can't give up on him yet" scenario...in fact, I'd probably be promoting it...but now there's just no excuse.  Marty has an .878 save% in his last 18 starts (and he's looked as bad overall as that save% suggests) and we all know how old he is.  It's one thing if you're giving him starts because the other guy is having a lousy year (last year's Hedberg), but as we've seen, the new guy is extremely capable, and there's no getting around the simple fact that 27-year-old in-his-prime Cory Schneider is considerably better than 41-year-old clearly past-his-prime Martin Brodeur.  Much as it would've been great if Marty had retired after 2012, I can understand fully why he didn't...he was coming off a terrific stretch of play and surely believed there was more where that came from, the team looked like it could make the playoffs again, the Devils probably didn't have any great Plan B in place at that time...the Victory Lap contract hasn't really worked out, but Lou made a hell of a move in finding the Next One in Schneider (especially when he was getting routinely slammed for not "preparing" for Marty's inevitable decline or exit from the game).   

All the above is pretty obvious stuff, but I don't think it is to the Devils yet.  I think there's still this feeling that the Devils need to get Marty going, at the expense of the entire team.  They don't.  If the Devils can get themselves from out of the early hole they've dug themselves, then yeah, they can try to get Marty some starts here and there.  But not until then.  Go with the clearly better player and see if you make some headway in what's looking like a pretty meh division.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I fell asleep after it was 2-0.

I predicted this win before the Ottawa game.

I'm not gonna watch something if I already know the outcome (;

But no seriously the Rangers are horrible. The Queen looks hurt or something and with the injuries they were "ripe to be beaten".

Cory needs to start as much as possible.

Clearly he gives the Devils a much much better chance to win.

Omg only 9 points out of 1st!

1-4-3 ..the universal number of love.

Yeah, that makes sense for a Devils fan to not watch a Devils v. Rangers game. Seems legit.

Why is this troll even still a member of this forum? Reminds me of PhillyDev during the 12' Final run.

• Like 1

I wish I could personally thank each and every Devil for their performance in this game. I had the most insufferable group of rangers fans behind me (all dressed in button-ups and dress pants... figures that the most vocal ones are cowards and won't wear any rangers gear.) Sitting there making fun of Marty (to which I reminded them time and time again that he was on the bench), talking about how Jagr's winded (naturally this was all when it was 0-0) cheering on Salvador being injured, making fun of an overweight Devils fan in the next section over... which was also humorous given the way they all looked (pot... meet kettle). It was truly enjoyable listening to seven nation army blare and watching these idiots hold their heads in their hands four times... They remained quiet for a good portion of the game while watching their team get their asses handed to them until about 13 minutes left in the third, they decided to start talking sh!t about different fans in different sections. Of course they tried saying something to me, to which naturally I had to reply... then I had some guy tell me there was 18 of them and I should just enjoy the game... are you kidding me? Yes, being 6'4" 225, surrounded by Devils fans I feel quite threatened that there is 18 bozos in button ups masquerading as hockey fans. I just laughed at them, and with about 5 minutes left they began leaving one by one. I figured I'd be courteous and tell them all to have a good night (as the adjacent sections cheered "HOL-LAND TUN-NEL!, HOL-LAND TUN-NEL!"), one of them took exception to this and turned around to inform me that he "should punch me in the face right now." I said hey, I'll be sitting right here whenever you decide to do that, held up my beer, and watched as he turned around and left.

Then the final horn blared, we cheered Let's go Devils throughout the arena, and later, throughout the streets of Newark.

Today was a good day.

I wish I could personally thank each and every Devil for their performance in this game. I had the most insufferable group of rangers fans behind me (all dressed in button-ups and dress pants... figures that the most vocal ones are cowards and won't wear any rangers gear.) Sitting there making fun of Marty (to which I reminded them time and time again that he was on the bench), talking about how Jagr's winded (naturally this was all when it was 0-0) cheering on Salvador being injured, making fun of an overweight Devils fan in the next section over... which was also humorous given the way they all looked (pot... meet kettle). It was truly enjoyable listening to seven nation army blare and watching these idiots hold their heads in their hands four times... They remained quiet for a good portion of the game while watching their team get their asses handed to them until about 13 minutes left in the third, they decided to start talking sh!t about different fans in different sections. Of course they tried saying something to me, to which naturally I had to reply... then I had some guy tell me there was 18 of them and I should just enjoy the game... are you kidding me? Yes, being 6'4" 225, surrounded by Devils fans I feel quite threatened that there is 18 bozos in button ups masquerading as hockey fans. I just laughed at them, and with about 5 minutes left they began leaving one by one. I figured I'd be courteous and tell them all to have a good night (as the adjacent sections cheered "HOL-LAND TUN-NEL!, HOL-LAND TUN-NEL!"), one of them took exception to this and turned around to inform me that he "should punch me in the face right now." I said hey, I'll be sitting right here whenever you decide to do that, held up my beer, and watched as he turned around and left.

Then the final horn blared, we cheered Let's go Devils throughout the arena, and later, throughout the streets of Newark.

Today was a good day.

I was fortunate enough to not have any d bags by me. All of the rags fans by me were pretty classy.

Yeah, that makes sense for a Devils fan to not watch a Devils v. Rangers game. Seems legit.

Why is this troll even still a member of this forum? Reminds me of PhillyDev during the 12' Final run.

I don't find anything you said to me offensive for the sole reason of you don't know sh!t. Edited by BigZ

I was fortunate enough to not have any d bags by me. All of the rags fans by me were pretty classy.

See anything else good while you were in Bizarro World?

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I wish I could personally thank each and every Devil for their performance in this game. I had the most insufferable group of rangers fans behind me (all dressed in button-ups and dress pants... figures that the most vocal ones are cowards and won't wear any rangers gear.) Sitting there making fun of Marty (to which I reminded them time and time again that he was on the bench), talking about how Jagr's winded (naturally this was all when it was 0-0) cheering on Salvador being injured, making fun of an overweight Devils fan in the next section over... which was also humorous given the way they all looked (pot... meet kettle). It was truly enjoyable listening to seven nation army blare and watching these idiots hold their heads in their hands four times... They remained quiet for a good portion of the game while watching their team get their asses handed to them until about 13 minutes left in the third, they decided to start talking sh!t about different fans in different sections. Of course they tried saying something to me, to which naturally I had to reply... then I had some guy tell me there was 18 of them and I should just enjoy the game... are you kidding me? Yes, being 6'4" 225, surrounded by Devils fans I feel quite threatened that there is 18 bozos in button ups masquerading as hockey fans. I just laughed at them, and with about 5 minutes left they began leaving one by one. I figured I'd be courteous and tell them all to have a good night (as the adjacent sections cheered "HOL-LAND TUN-NEL!, HOL-LAND TUN-NEL!"), one of them took exception to this and turned around to inform me that he "should punch me in the face right now." I said hey, I'll be sitting right here whenever you decide to do that, held up my beer, and watched as he turned around and left.

Today was a good day.

Way to stand ground and brag about it.

Seriously..whether that happened or not, good job.

Also just realize the only good things about this win, besides it being the 1st..is that it was against The Queen...other than that we beat a team that was B squading just like the Devils.

The Devils always draw first blood against the Rangers it seems but then end up losing the series to them.

I don't think the Rangers will go far this season regardless but keep in mind they were missing an entire line of their best players.

I'm relived they got the win but keep things in perspective.

There was a couple in front of us that was awesome. We were joking back and forth about how bad our teams have been so far. But the row of people behind us... like I said, it was awesome heckling them as they filed out before the final horn.

Also just realize the only good things about this win, besides it being the 1st..is that it was against The Queen...other than that we beat a team that was B squading just like the Devils.

The Devils always draw first blood against the Rangers it seems but then end up losing the series to them.

I don't think the Rangers will go far this season regardless but keep in mind they were missing an entire line of their best players.

DM...please...IP ban...please...

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1

I would go so far as to say the queen is done. He's been atrocious in most all games this year. Let's not  dance around the issue, this guy was all pads. Most people who follow hockey knew this, the guy wears a mattress. Take that away and you can't just stop everything by positioning correctly.

We beat a team that is worse than us, not to detract from our win. This team has been in a few games this year, maybe the confidence it gives them is all that matters. I mean I'm positive the locker room isn't saying "the rags suck this win is meaningless".

The good news is a win streak of a few games totally gets us back into the hunt, and we have been a very streaky team the last few years. So here's to hopping we can get a few more in the W column.

Edited by Sneax

Steve : "Salvador is back on the ice. That's good to see."

Chico 5 minutes later : "oh there's Salvador back on the bench! Ready to get a shift"

Followed by long silence, I assume with Steve just staring at Chico

Could have been worse. Matt and Sherry didn't even notice him until he was literally on the ice. They talked for about 5 minutes about how sneaky he is............

Could have been worse. Matt and Sherry didn't even notice him until he was literally on the ice. They talked for about 5 minutes about how sneaky he is............

I'm pretty good about noticing which players are out and I was late on seeing Salvador back because I had assumed he was done for the night.

I am glad Salvadore is ok but it would be nice to see how well the team would play with him and Volch out for say 3 or 4 games bringing up some youth. Also no doubt they will play Cory with the excuse Marty was hurt with the shot he took to the collarbone in Ottawa, and not the truth that Cory right now is the better Goalie. As much as I love Marty he needs to be our Back up not starter!

Was anyone else really impressed with Jagr last night? He seems to hardly ever turn the puck over, even when he's battling against 3 players from the other team. I thought he was the best player on the ice last night.

Olesz and Josefson: I thought they both played well. That line of Zubrus, Loktionov, and Josefson was really good. I definitely wish we could see some more playing time from some of these guys, but it seems like it's probably not going to happen assuming Elias and Brunner are on their way back.

Another rough night for Tedenby. He looks nervous out there, it looks like pure adrenaline with him. I'm still clinging onto that rookie season of his, where he had some highlight reel goals and actually looked calm when playing. I really hope he can get it together soon. Maybe he just needs some time.