Who shall don the 'C' for the Devils?

Weekes Head

I still say give it to brylin.. he has the respect of his teamates.. and no big ego.. he might be quite but he was voted unsung hero what.. like 8 times (by his teamates).. so i say just give it to him

Edited by Jdub

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you can have 3 Assistants & No Captain.

No requirement for a team to have a Captain.

So Lou may go this way, and it leaves the "C" to Elias upon his return.

Of course all this crap is being talked about due to the silence of our current captain!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't see anything in the rules allowing this.

http://nhl.com/hockeyu/rulebook/rule14.html

I think you can have 3 Assistants & No Captain.

No requirement for a team to have a Captain.

So Lou may go this way, and it leaves the "C" to Elias upon his return.

Of course all this crap is being talked about due to the silence of our current captain!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't see anything in the rules allowing this.

http://nhl.com/hockeyu/rulebook/rule14.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

(NOTE) Only when the captain is not in uniform, the Coach shall have the right to designate three Alternate Captains. This must be done prior to the start of the game.

With Elias as Captain, on the IR, we can name 3 A's

Even though I know it has to be Madden, I just had a vision of the barely 5' 7" Brian Gionta with the 'C'. I just think it's fitting, somehow, although he hasn't been in the NHL long enough for it to happen yet. But it has to, someday. Just to see him arguing with the refs and some 6' 5" captain from the other team.

I'd love to see Gomez as captain, I think he would definitely pick up his game to suit the role. However, I don't see him in the runnings, maybe a few years down the road, but you never know with Larry.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ralfalski gets the C, or even Madden. I don't think Madden has the game to back up the role though.

It's going to be interesting who steps up and assumes control. For the first time in over 2 decades there isn't a definitive leader. No Stevens. No Daneyko. No Niedermayer.

I have faith that someone will truly take the reigns and take a leadership role. Will it be Madden? Elias? I think Madden, but who knows. It's definitely going to be an interesting transition.

-Dan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sentimental fave is Madden -- it's all I guess on if he and Larry feel he's up to the task as far as communication skills go -- I mean Madden seems to be obsessed with communication skills this pre-season right down to the silly-ass blog! :evil:

Edited by Darwindog

honestly, I don't feel that elias as C would be the right type of captain for this team.

The mentality of the team means that defencemen or defensive forwards fit better into the type of grinder mentality that is the devils. maybe langs could do it, but he doesn't seem to be the type.

This was also the reason i disliked having nieds as captain.

Langenbrunner is near the top of my list. He's intense enough yet calm enough as well. But he hasn't fallen into that place as of yet -- it comes down to whatever peg falls into the hole, you know? I'm not happy with any f the guys but I know someone will emerge. Neids was a lame captain <_< Able - had the desire to excel in the role once he was in it -- but IMO he was lacking in real desire for the role.

Being a captain comes out by accidetn as you strive to help guys - protect guys - teach guys... you can't be self-centered really. Neids liked moe "me" time. I'm not a neider fan - we dont have the same sort of modesty - he makes no sense to me. :noclue:

Anyhow -- I guess it'll be fun to see who falls into the hole. it's be nie to see things click. Shoot guys -- it may even be Parise next year or something

Edited by Darwindog

It seems like Madden to me as well.

Langenbrunner is a great protypical Devil, but he doesn't have that something that Madden has... maybe it's longer tenure, not sure.

Brylin would be a fine captain, not a bad choice as well, but I think we need a little less leading by example and a little more tough talking "fear me, or I'll throw a skate at you"-type leadership. Same with Rafalski, another fine candidate.

I think Elias wouldn't be a bad captain either, but it doesn't seem to be his comfort zone.

Until Elias is back:

Madden - A

Brylin - A

Rafalski - A

When Elias is back:

Elias - C

Madden - A

Brylin - A

Edit P.S. I wouldn't mind Madden having the C either. What I'm concerned with both Madden and Elias is that they often get very emotional and carry it over to dealing with the refs sometimes. Refs don't like captains who complain all the time, so I'd hope they'd limit it to when it matters.

Edited by sheeps

Just like anything ... there's a learning curve.

People change and they grow into roles... there are people who currently fill spots on the Devils that you never would have expected of them as rookies or Rats.

I can't believe we're down to ONE Scott on the team! ;)

(Unless Clemmy gets the backup gig.)

Edited by Elias Sports Bureau