Who Had the Best Individual Season in Devils History

Derlique

Let's go over the candidates

Martin Brodeur 96-97: Robbed of a Vezina that year 37 14 13 0 5 120 1.88 1633 1513 .927 10

Martin Brodeur 06-07: Vezina winner and Hart finalist. Set record for most wins in one season and had 12 shutouts! 48 23 0 7 5 171 2.18 2182 2011 .922 12

Patrik Elias 00-01: Most points in one season 40 56 96 45 51 N/A N/A 8 21 3 0 6 220 .182

Patrik Elias 05-06: Probably the most dominant I've ever seen a Devils forward play. Season turned around when he came back 38 16 29 45 11 20 N/A N/A 6 15 0 0 3 142 .113

Brian Gionta 05-06: Set record for most goals in a single season 82 48 41 89 18 46 N/A N/A 24 10 1 0 10 291 .165

Zach Parise 08-09: 82 45 49 94 30 24 N/A N/A 14 16 0 3 8 364 .124

Scott Niedermayer 03-04: Won the Norris. Stepped up his game in Stevens' absence 81 14 40 54 20 44 N/A N/A 9 16 0 3 3 165 .085

Scott Stevens 93-94: 83 18 60 78 26 53 112 12 5 1 4 215 8.4

Edited by SMantzas

Yeah my first thought was Stevens in 94, then Brodeur in 07. If you want to go by total value, Brodeur's season is probably better, but a +53 is pretty incredible, would love to see the PDO on that one (PDO didn't have the luck component that it does now, though - the Gretzky Oilers didn't outshoot other teams really, they just outscored them).

Stevens got robbed of the Norris that year, at least statistically.

This is pretty much from memory (as the stats won't totally back me up), but Brodeur's 2007-2008 season to be the one I was most impressed by from his career. Maybe the shutouts weren't there from 2007, but I think he was the difference in many many hockey games.

That was Sutter's first year. The team on paper really sucked after losing Gomez and Rafalski. Langenbrunner and White missed extended time. And the defense was just really awful. Vitali Vishnevski played 69 games. Sheldon Brookbank played 44. You had Rachunek and Mottau just returned to the NHL again. Greene was the crappy Andy Greene. The offense was just atrocious finishing in the bottom 5.

There were many Devils teams that could have survived Brodeur's absence for an extended time like the 2009 team for an example. This was a team that needed him every single night to win.

Edited by devilsrule33

I don't think I would consider this the greatest individual season but im glad the 05-06 elias season is getting recognition. Everything that happened after he came back into the lineup was unbelievable. Putting up over a point per game after coming back from a serious illness, the comeback, beating out the rangers for the division on that last day of the season in a come from behind victory over the Habs, and then sweeping the rangers in the first round. It was definitely an amazing turnaround.

This is pretty much from memory, but I remember Brodeur's 2007-2008 season to be the one I was most impressed by from his career. Maybe the shutouts weren't there from 2007, but I think he was the difference in many many hockey games.

That was Sutter's first year. The team on paper really sucked after losing Gomez and Rafalski. Langenbrunner and White missed extended time. And the defense was just really awful. Vitali Vishnevski played 69 games. Sheldon Brookbank played 44. You had Rachunek and Mottau just returned to the NHL again. Greene was the crappy Andy Greene. The offense was just atrocious finishing in the bottom 5.

There were many Devils teams that could have survived Brodeur's absence for an extended time like the 2009 team for an example. This was a team that needed him every single night to win.

I was thinking along the same lines as well.

Being younger, Elias in 06 was really awesome to see, you knew he was going to come up big at some point during the game, it was just a matter of when. The EGG line that year was fun to watch. Gomez's coast to coast play against the rangers was a beauty.

Really wish I had a chance to see Stevens in 94 or Nieds even in 04 with a much better understanding of the game than I had as a 12 year old.

It wasn't a full season, but Elias's performance when he came back from the Hep was the most dominant I've ever seen someone play. Not only was he scoring, but he was hitting and playing with snarl. He was Super Mario drunk on Invincibility Stars.

This is pretty much from memory (as the stats won't totally back me up), but Brodeur's 2007-2008 season to be the one I was most impressed by from his career. Maybe the shutouts weren't there from 2007, but I think he was the difference in many many hockey games.

I'm going to disagree, but I consulted the stats - I mean, let's get clear, Brodeur was amazing both years, so it's ultimately it's nitpicky to select one over another. But Rachunek did well with the ice time he got. Mottau was a find. Oduya and Martin improved a great deal. Zubrus was Zubrus - he wasn't Gomez, but still a helpful player.

The 2006-07 Devils came back a bunch of times to win in OT or at least steal a point. They had nearly 100 more power plays than their opposition. Yet they outshot the opposition by 28 overall. I'm going to guess they were beat up pretty bad at even strength. In 2007-08, they were actually 5th in the league in Fenwick Tied - hard to believe with that roster but there they were. 2006-07 also had its share of bad Devils - Alex Brooks? 20 year old Mark Fraser? David Hale? etc.

I'm going to disagree, but I consulted the stats - I mean, let's get clear, Brodeur was amazing both years, so it's ultimately it's nitpicky to select one over another. But Rachunek did well with the ice time he got. Mottau was a find. Oduya and Martin improved a great deal. Zubrus was Zubrus - he wasn't Gomez, but still a helpful player.

The 2006-07 Devils came back a bunch of times to win in OT or at least steal a point. They had nearly 100 more power plays than their opposition. Yet they outshot the opposition by 28 overall. I'm going to guess they were beat up pretty bad at even strength. In 2007-08, they were actually 5th in the league in Fenwick Tied - hard to believe with that roster but there they were. 2006-07 also had its share of bad Devils - Alex Brooks? 20 year old Mark Fraser? David Hale? etc.

Maybe so. I just remember being thankful for Brodeur more than any other season that year. He had a lot of games where I was left in awe with how badly he bailed the team out. I was left that year thinking Brodeur would be a great goalie in any system.

I'll add Parise in 2009 for most dominating skater. Statistically it is there right at the top. I was never more excited to turn on a Devils game and watch an offensive player as I was with him and the chemistry he had with Jamie and Travis. You just felt that every time he was on the ice the Devils were going to score and no fear that the other team would even have a chance the other way. I think maybe it was in the Month of January where he was on the ice for 1 goal against or something crazy like that.

On another note, for the OP, Brodeur was not robbed of a Vezina in 1996-1997. Hasek was the superior goalie.

Edited by devilsrule33