Gillis out in Vancouver

MadDog2020

The Canucks have been a dumpster fire ever since Game 7 Boston (and the subsequent riot/dumpster fires).  They not only were favorites to beat the Bruins that year but also had the extra burden to be Canada's (re-CBC's) best hope for a cup and thus extra scrutiny.  That franchise completely imploded after it was exposed as being gutless by the Bruins in that series.

Trevor Linden taking over. What a joke the NHL has become when it comes to hiring for management positions. Maybe there is a lack of really good young candidates in NHL offices to be promoted, but GM positions have been nothing but PR moves for angry fanbases.

It used to old retreads, but now it is insert former star in that NHL city. 

Edited by devilsrule33

Trevor Linden taking over. What a joke the NHL has become when it comes to hiring for management positions. Maybe there is a lack of really good young candidates in NHL offices to be promoted, but GM positions have been nothing but PR moves for angry franchises.

It used to old retreads, but now it is insert former star in that NHL city.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Marty as the Devils' GM within 5-10 years.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Marty as the Devils' GM within 5-10 years.

I seriously doubt it, unless the team really hits rock bottom and ownership is desperate to drum up a buzz.  And it doesn't even have much to do with how good or bad at it he might be.  The guy is so popular with the fan base that he won't be easy to cut bait on if he proves to be a disaster, which is a distinct possibility. 

I see his future as a commentator. 

I seriously doubt it, unless the team really hits rock bottom and ownership is desperate to drum up a buzz.  And it doesn't even have much to do with how good or bad at it he might be.  The guy is so popular with the fan base that he won't be easy to cut bait on if he proves to be a disaster, which is a distinct possibility. 

I see his future as a commentator. 

If the Devils tank...Lou steps down...the season ticket base crashes...the hiring of Brodeur is such an obvious PR play. This franchise would need it just as much as the Stars or Avalanche did.

If the Devils tank...Lou steps down...the season ticket base crashes...the hiring of Brodeur is such an obvious PR play. This franchise would need it just as much as the Stars or Avalanche did.

What makes Broduer as GM to be even smaller of a possibility is that the new owners are private equity people that made their fortunes on quantitative methods.  Not a surprise that the Devils start looking for an analytics person shortly after they took over.  I can't imagine that they would select someone with no experience as a GM who is probably less familiar with analytics than I am based on name recognition alone. 

With Vanderbeek gone, Lou is pretty much gonna die in his office.  Our owners now don't know the difference between a wristshot and a wristwatch.  Who the hell would they bring in?  Lou totally has them fleeced and they'll never fire him.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Marty take his place down the line though, based on the comments he's made in the past, as well as his close relationship with Lou.  The only other possibility is Chris, God forbid. 

With Vanderbeek gone, Lou is pretty much gonna die in his office.  Our owners now don't know the difference between a wristshot and a wristwatch.  Who the hell would they bring in?  Lou totally has them fleeced and they'll never fire him.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Marty take his place down the line though, based on the comments he's made in the past, as well as his close relationship with Lou.  The only other possibility is Chris, God forbid. 

1. Lou will probably give advice and suggestions on his replacement, if not pick himself.

2. Should Lou disappear and they need guidance, Gary Bettman probably steps in and gives advice.

What makes Broduer as GM to be even smaller of a possibility is that the new owners are private equity people that made their fortunes on quantitative methods.  Not a surprise that the Devils start looking for an analytics person shortly after they took over.  I can't imagine that they would select someone with no experience as a GM who is probably less familiar with analytics than I am based on name recognition alone. 

Not doubting that. It's just the backlash and pressure from the fanbase may force anyone to do anything desperate. It might stop them from firing Lou if that needs to be done. If the Devils missed the playoffs again next season, I think you could make a very easy case that any GM should be fired. If they did, it would be a PR nightmate, regardless if it was the right thing to do.

Alternatively, say Brodeur retires and Lou gives him a management position a year later. It's not out of the question that he is hired if they are still as enamored with Lou as they were when they first took over the team. I guess that depends if the team is trending upward.

Edited by devilsrule33

If McPhee gets fired I think he is a strong candidate to come in as Lou's soon to be successor. He has connections to the area and the devils and I believe he and Lou have a good relationship.

If McPhee gets fired I think he is a strong candidate to come in as Lou's soon to be successor. He has connections to the area and the devils and I believe he and Lou have a good relationship.

oh god you're going to give me nightmares tonight. Please no. Just no.

McPhee? Why on earth would we want him, he's done absolute nothing right in Washington. Nothing at all. Their fans have been calling for his head for years now.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

This is dumb to say. He is the longest tenured GM in the league next to Lamoriello and Ruherford. McPhee has a Cup appearance, 8 division titles, a 121 point season and 8 40+ win seasons under his belt as GM. The Caps had at least a 2 (maybe 3) year window of opportunity to win a Cup under his watch. How many execs that have come and gone since 1997 would love to have that resume? Oh, and McPhee had to fire sale the organization and rebuild it in 2003-04. They've choked in the Playoffs (a Caps tradition), but he's not the one out there playing, either. The problem was he could never seem to get the team tough enough to balance the skill they had, so if one wants to blame him for that then so be it, but it's not the first or last time a GM doesn't/can't get the players he seeks/wants.

The Caps window has closed. They're now a middling team and it's his job from the looks of it. It would be an interesting hire, but the new owners are in love with Lamoriello. The only way Lamoriello is leaving will be on his own. McPhee has a good relationship with Lamoriello and i think he'd make a solid right hand man. 

Edited by TheRedStorm