RUMOR: Callahan to be traded as per Boomer Esiason

Mike Brown

Bernier is a 20 points player while Callahan is a 50 point player.

Callahan was a 50+ point player once and he's no where near that this year. We're essentially having the same discussion regarding Callahan going into UFA year that we had about Clarkson last year, except Clarkson wasn't asking $6.5-7m....

But I stick with my opinion that Callahan's only slightly better than Bernier, NOW, at this stage in their respective careers.

No clue, probably has something to do with them retaining their good players and not letting them hit FA.

Amusing misinterpretation. My point was that the Rangers haven't developed well, last couple of years aside, and usually is the team to overpay for UFA talent such as Callahan, Drury, Gomez etc.

Amusing misinterpretation. My point was that the Rangers haven't developed well, last couple of years aside, and usually is the team to overpay for UFA talent such as Callahan, Drury, Gomez etc.

Yeah, their team in 05-06 was old and not home grown besides Lundqvist - players under 25 on that team who played a significant role were Tyutin and Prucha, Tyutin was traded for Zherdev and Prucha was let go of for nothing.  And yeah, I can't think of a player they kept and who was home-grown entirely besides Leetch and Richter - they have usually traded their best homegrown players (e.g. Kim Johnsson)

Edited by Triumph

The problem with always saying X player isn't worth the money imo is that, who are we waiting to sign? You don't get bonus points for having cap space available. I can see the duration being a problem down the line maybe, but you can always buy out the contracts. It seems to work for other teams.

i was not talking about Callahan, never even said i'd like to sign him. Was talking in general. Every single player anyone bring up, people will bash the idea saying he'd be too expensive.

I generally agree with these points of view but not when it comes to a guy like Callahan, who shouldn't be making more than $5m per year.

But as far as July comes, I agree that we should throw whatever fair/realistic amount of money we have to obtain Stastnys, Michaleks, some kind of quality players for somewhat long term. I think building around a core of Zajac, Clowe, Henrique, Greene, etc., is great and all, just need those real difference-makers.

Well then I guess we are currently the rangers of old, for better or worse we need to buy some players cuz' we dont have much home grown ones.

I mean were really not a great position for the future, we'll need scoring and it won't come from our prospects that we have so far. It will have to come from free agents or guys we get through trades. 

The scoring we'll get from boucher or Matteau or wtv will only be covering a small hole left by other guys leaving. And it really won't compensate.

I mean were really not a great position for the future, we'll need scoring and it won't come from our prospects that we have so far. It will have to come from free agents or guys we get through trades. 

The scoring we'll get from boucher or Matteau or wtv will only be covering a small hole left by other guys leaving. And it really won't compensate.

The one thing I would tweak is that, if CS resigns our team defensivley will be among the best in the league. We have a pretty stellar defensive prospect pool and young promising Defensemen, couple that with Cory and we have a VERY solid foundation. So our offense looks bleak but its not all doom and gloom, we do have some things going for us.

Question for you guys: How does somebody get the reputation as trustworthy? By keeping secrets. Even if Boomer is a legit insider (as so many of you are dead set certain he is, for whatever reason) If he had inside sources, whether they be Dolan, or a Rangers front office member, he wouldn't just leak it to the public. If Boomer leaked every inside secret that he was fed, people would stop telling them to him

The one thing I would tweak is that, if CS resigns our team defensivley will be among the best in the league. We have a pretty stellar defensive prospect pool and young promising Defensemen, couple that with Cory and we have a VERY solid foundation. So our offense looks bleak but its not all doom and gloom, we do have some things going for us.

yes but even though i know defence win championships, having goal supports is a damn great luxury. You NEED goals to win no matter what. That it's late in SO or during the game. And you can play the best defence ever in a game, puck will still get through with badluck or deflections or wtv, you can never rely on "not having to score too many goals" 

and you need those guys who can score when you need it the most, we have too many "supporting cast scorers" who will score once in awhile

Edited by SterioDesign

yes but even though i know defence win championships, having goal supports is a damn great luxury. You NEED goals to win no matter what. That it's late in SO or during the game. And you can play the best defence ever in a game, puck will still get through with badluck or deflections or wtv, you can never rely on "not having to score too many goals" 

I think what he's saying is that there's a great foundation in place for defense and goaltending going ahead, which opens the Devils up to spend some money on goal scoring.

I think what he's saying is that there's a great foundation in place for defense and goaltending going ahead, which opens the Devils up to spend some money on goal scoring.

ah well yeah of course, every single Devils fans knows that. But buying goal scoring isnt cheap and it's still really up in the air. We don't have enough already plus we KNOW we're losing a good chunk of it soon. We keep losing big chunks of scoring replacing it with less and less. Thats not gonna cut it

Im with you 100 percent, Elias and Jagr are to important to our team right now that doesn't bode well going foward. I was just saying that it isn't all that bad as we do have a really strong defensive core coming up and a great fvcking goalie. Offense is a huge issue, and I do hope we go out and get some free agents to compensate. 

Question for you guys: How does somebody get the reputation as trustworthy? By keeping secrets. Even if Boomer is a legit insider (as so many of you are dead set certain he is, for whatever reason) If he had inside sources, whether they be Dolan, or a Rangers front office member, he wouldn't just leak it to the public. If Boomer leaked every inside secret that he was fed, people would stop telling them to him

This could have been orchestrated by someone in the Rangers' camp, as a method to get a deal done perhaps?

ah well yeah of course, every single Devils fans knows that. But buying goal scoring isnt cheap and it's still really up in the air. We don't have enough already plus we KNOW we're losing a good chunk of it soon. We keep losing big chunks of scoring replacing it with less and less. Thats not gonna cut it

Besides Kovalchuck, who else that's huge are we losing?  We're only losing Jagr, but the team is lucky that he is producing at the rate he has up to this point.  It's a matter of turning this forward corps into a productive unit because if you look at the forwards we have signed past the end of this year, its not likely that they are moving, particularly Clowe, Brunner, Ryder.  All the team can do from here is try to draft and develop some young forwards.  You can count on maybe one forward free agent or less next offseason.  Don't expect anything like last summer.  

This could have been orchestrated by someone in the Rangers' camp, as a method to get a deal done perhaps?

That thought crossed my mind, and while it could certainly be a possibility, if they were looking for it to get more attention, wouldn't they leak it to LeBrun, Radek, McKenzie etc.? I haven't really heard this Boomer rumor discussed outside of this forum, have you?

Besides Kovalchuck, who else that's huge are we losing?  We're only losing Jagr, but the team is lucky that he is producing at the rate he has up to this point.  It's a matter of turning this forward corps into a productive unit because if you look at the forwards we have signed past the end of this year, its not likely that they are moving, particularly Clowe, Brunner, Ryder.  All the team can do from here is try to draft and develop some young forwards.  You can count on maybe one forward free agent or less next offseason.  Don't expect anything like last summer.  

what i mean is that since our cup run, we lost quite a bit of our scoring. We won a LOT of close games that year to even make it in the playoffs still and we got Zach, Kovy, Sykora and Clarkson's production gone. Replaced it by Jagr, Ryder, Clowe, ryder... Elias production is going down too and a few other guys are aging like Zubby. 

and i mean if we really look into it... we need to ADD production, and year after year were just barely replacing what's leaving/dropping... so the lack is still there and i simply dont see how we'll recover in the long run

It made it to CBS, and started from twitter and HF.

That thought crossed my mind, and while it could certainly be a possibility, if they were looking for it to get more attention, wouldn't they leak it to LeBrun, Radek, McKenzie etc.? I haven't really heard this Boomer rumor discussed outside of this forum, have you?