NJ Outlaws Move to Williamsport, PA

DevsMan84

Baseball is big around here, especially the youth leagues. That is my main worry around here in this area. It's tough for the Crosscutters to fill their seats some games, but they have seriously sucked lately, the hockey team coming here has won championships. I think if a team is winning, it's hard for the area not to support them.

You are definitely right when it comes to the youth leagues. I really like going to the Crosscutters games. They looked great in the opener. How have they been doing so far? It is a shame because I wish they could sell out all of their games.

Baseball is big around here, especially the youth leagues. That is my main worry around here in this area. It's tough for the Crosscutters to fill their seats some games, but they have seriously sucked lately, the hockey team coming here has won championships. I think if a team is winning, it's hard for the area not to support them.

Its tough to compare though. The crosscutters are single A from what I read while the Outlaws I would consider below that but above a beer league IMO if there was a hockey equivelent.

It's really hard to tell right now how they will do in terms of attendance. One one hand they will be playing outdoors which is always a novelty and they are going to an area that is not swamped with professional hockey teams. On the other hand Williamsport is smaller than Wayne, will be playing on basically a portable hockey rink for at least this year and are playing in a league where teams folding and moving are an annual ritual.

the "Not a lot of Nascar fans in the area " is waht shocked me reading the post s above. when i went back to Williamsport two years ago for the first time since 97. My freind who lives there confirmed its just not big anymore. I dont remember seeing the 2 nascar shops in the mall either. Barely any if any bumper stickers. Lots of people on cell phones driving though, almost like it was everyone. I rememeber partying in a dorm room in 96 and making country music and nascar jokes and six of the biggest 6'5, lugged hay bales all their lives, redneck guys you ever see surround me and ask me what i said about nascar. I freaked but told them "i'm from new jersey and dont get it". They then asked "what part of Jersey" and i said "north" and they laughed and said "Oh we know your type" and walked away. Might have been different if i said "southern".

• 5 months later...

That's too bad, especially seeing as how they were coming off a championship season. The ironic thing is, had they stayed in Jersey, they might've seen a decent uptick in fan support due to the NHL lockout. I know I would've gone to a bunch of games.

• 1 month later...

Just to update, it looks like the Outlaws ceased operations when their owner, Kristin Ann Rooney, refused to play the final 12 road games of the season.  Since then it looks like the the Outlaws operations have been taken over by the FHL.

http://williamsportoutlaws.pointstreaksites.com/view/williamsportoutlaws/press-box/news_64864

Honestly, after all the rumors I heard about this team last year I am not surprised that was the case.