Summer 2013 UFA/RFA Thread

Derlique

The cap is not going to be $95 million in 5 or 6 years, and if it is, it's going to be a few teams pulling it way up, and the league will become a floor league.

As for Cleary, it's fun to see everyone chuckling at that and yet few batted an eye when Zubrus was locked up to a more expensive contract at the same length.

I don't see how you can say that.  The cap went up by about the same percentage in the last CBA over the same amount of time  ($39 million to $56 million).  And that was without all of the outdoor games and with a crappy TV deal.  

And no one batted an eye with Zubrus because he's better, and as everyone else has said, the Devils are not a cap team.  That the Flyers will have to do cap juggling to sign someone who no one else wanted until the day before camp opened is not no big deal, but you're right, it's not the end of the world either. 

Edited by Daniel

I will criticize anyone I want, especially Holmgren. :P  But why does Dan Cleary deserve a NTC.

Because that is probably what he wanted.  Why does Volchenkov deserve a NTC?

I remember in the past this was a bargaining chip used by GM's to seal deals with players and it looks like it has just gotten to epidemic proportions where every player is now demanding it.

I don't see how you can say that. The cap went up by about the same percentage in the last CBA over the same amount of time ($39 million to $56 million). And that was without all of the outdoor games and with a crappy TV deal.

And no one batted an eye with Zubrus because he's better, and as everyone else has said, the Devils are not a cap team. That the Flyers will have to do cap juggling to sign someone who no one else wanted until the day before camp opened is not no big deal, but you're right, it's not the end of the world either.

Not to mention the Devils actually, you know NEED Zubrus while the Flyers already have 3476 forwards. The Flyers getting another forward when they have no defense would be baffling if it were anyone else but with Holmgren it's typical.

Edited by NJDevs4978

That the Flyers will have to do cap juggling to sign someone who no one else wanted until the day before camp opened is not no big deal, but you're right, it's not the end of the world either. 

It's really this simple ^^^^ Rag on the Zubrus (or similar) type signings all you want but we didn't have to rearrange our finances and dump players to make his contract work for us lol. It's really that simple, and that's really why people are scratching their heads at this Flyers signing..

More than just one team wanted Volchenkov when he was UFA... Offers had to be competitive and realistic. The same can't be said about signing a player one day before camp opens.. Don't forget, this is the type of money and terms we're talking about Detroit and New Jersey not offering Damien Brunner right now..

Edited by DJ Eco

I don't see how you can say that.  The cap went up by about the same percentage in the last CBA over the same amount of time  ($39 million to $56 million).  And that was without all of the outdoor games and with a crappy TV deal.  

And no one batted an eye with Zubrus because he's better, and as everyone else has said, the Devils are not a cap team.  That the Flyers will have to do cap juggling to sign someone who no one else wanted until the day before camp opened is not no big deal, but you're right, it's not the end of the world either. 

The players % of revenue climbed as revenues went up under the old CBA.  The opposite is happening under this one - I don't know exactly how Make Whole works with regard to the cap, but it's acting as somewhat of a limiting factor.  Yeah, the cap's going up a lot.  It's not going up by that much.

Cleary and Zubrus are about equal and the Flyers were going to have to do cap juggling anyway.

Not to mention the Devils actually, you know NEED Zubrus while the Flyers already have 3476 forwards. The Flyers getting another forward when they have no defense would be baffling if it were anyone else but with Holmgren it's typical.

The Flyers don't have a lot of forwards this year.  Without Cleary, they have Hartnell, Voracek, Lecavalier, Giroux, Simmonds, Schenn, Couturier, Talbot, Read, and then either young players who may or may not be ready or 4th line garbage types.  With the centers shaping up as Giroux/Lecavalier/Couturier/Talbot, this only leaves 5 wingers for the top 9 forwards.  Enter Cleary.

It's really this simple ^^^^ Rag on the Zubrus (or similar) type signings all you want but we didn't have to rearrange our finances and dump players to make his contract work for us lol. It's really that simple, and that's really why people are scratching their heads at this Flyers signing..

The Flyers will be able to fit Cleary in under the salary cap.  The reason they can't sign him now is that they are at the 50 contract limit.

More than just one team wanted Volchenkov when he was UFA... Offers had to be competitive and realistic.

4 or 5 teams made offers. The Devils blew everyone out of the water. NTC was just because.

From what I recall, it was heavily rumored that he was going straight to DC when free agency hit, which may be why the Devils went with such a strong offer.

I really just remember hearing from every website and analyst that he was heading to NJ and they were the frontrunners from the beginning.  Interesting to hear about DC.

See what I mean?  We signed Volchenkov in the Summer of 2013!?!  Well no WONDER there is this huge active bitchfest - my bad I guess  :argh:  Seriously?  Well -- it's not like he has a no trade clause making all the bitching just empty noise anyhow...  oh wait...

Anyhow...  I'm not such a  huge fan of Vanek -- exactly how much of the contract will they eat?

Vanek in NJ is just not gonna happen. Not only do we lack the pieces to trade for him, I simply don't think the Devils are willing to overpay for a superstar right now. I think the next couple years are going to be classic Devils - no 90 point player, but several guys who can contribute offensively.

However, the idea of a trade to Carolina for a young forward or a pick is pretty intriguing...

Cleary hasn't reported to Flyers camp, rumor is that he's negotiating with Detroit.  I bet it's just he's late because there's no direct flights from St. John's to Philadelphia.

WTF

Detroit Red Wings @DetroitRedWings 5m

Breaking News: Wings agree to terms on 1-year contract with Daniel Cleary, who will fly to Traverse City tonight to join the club for camp.