Leagues realignment plan now official. Begins next season.

DevilMinder

All they need to do is move Winnipeg to the Central and Detroit to the Northeast. Then change the playoff format to have the division champions be guranteed a playoff spot but they will be seeded 1-8 based on points so teams that don't deserve home ice won't get it anymore.

I think the division winning "reward" would be fixed by changing it to "at least top 4 seed". This guarantees home ice, a potential jump in the standings while giving other strong non-division leading teams a chance to compete for #3 (or potentially #2).

This also screws Nashville over - a market that has been making tremendous strides. They lose their main rival and top draw in Detroit, and have a lot more traveling to do. This realignment plan makes less and less sense the more I think about it. Its like others have said in this thread - its just change for the sake of changing whats already working.

a lot of good points here.  I especially agree with the post about how the NHL always needs to screw something up.  This is all their fault anyway.  All you hear about is how the Coyotes aren't doing well and will probably move, they should have never existed in the first place.  They should have just left the Jets alone in the 90's and never had them move.

I generally hate changes the NHL and/or teams make.  I still wish they would go back to white jersey's at home.  half of 91/92 they went to the road jersey at home which was fine and then went back and then in 03/04 they switched again and never went back.  Does bettman think this is the NFL?  It doesn't make any sense to make that a permanent switch.  I understand a part of a season every now and then, but that to me was absurd.

We have too many teams as it is.  coyotes shouldn't be there, no need for Nashville, no need for columbus among a few others.  I still wish they would get rid of some of those teams and bring back the Whalers and Nordiques and some of the teams go back to their better jersey's and logos (like what the canucks had when they had bure with the black jersey or the Jets with Selene.  Just too many changes from what didn't need to be changed (I am glad the Caps, Sabres, Islanders, Kings, and Penguins all went back to either the same jersey or one close to the older one before they made the foolish switch)  I do wish all of those teams among a few others would go back to the exact jersey's they wore in the early 90's

It's not broken for any teams in this area, but for many Western Conference teams, it has been broken for years.

Some of that is geography...the west is sparse. Metropolitan areas are more spread out and not connected. There is no Boston-Washington megalopolis as we essentially have here.

Some of it is the NHL's own doing as well. Does Anaheim need to exist? Does Nashville and Phoenix? No. Should Quebec, Minny and Winnipeg had their moves blocked by the league? Yes. That would've prevented a lot of Edmonton to Phoenix and then to somewhere else far away flights. But regardless, the West is always going to travel more.

That didn't happen in the old format?  When there were unbalanced divisions?  The Devils to make it in 1988, they had to scrape in with 85 points.  Six teams made the playoffs with fewer points that year.

Under the old format, in 1987, no one in the Norris finished over .500, but one was guaranteed entry to the Western Conference Finals.

it's tough to compare points across different eras of hockey. 2 fewer games were played back then. There were no cheap shootout points or points just for making it to OT. Bad teams couldn't shot block or clutch and grab their way to NHL .500.

The west had two dominant teams that year in Calgary and Edmonton (both would be 110+ point teams today) They beat up on everybody else

The Patrick had no dominant teams

What could you do. It was a 21 team league and you needed 8 out of 10 out west. I suppose it would've been fair to give Detroit and Calgary bye's and have the Blues play the Hawks and the Oil play the Jets, but the NHL wanted as many teams in the playoffs as possible

the 86-87 Campbell was prob better than the 87-88. Only you didn't have 4 on 4 gimmick OT and penalty shot derby's artificially inflating totals. 

Edited by '7'

Just wondering, do teams in the Western half of the US in other sports leagues whine about travel as much as the ones in the NHL?

It's only really a similar factor in the NBA since MLB only has fifteen or so road trips in a year (and almost half the schedule is in-division games so not as much travel), and in the NBA you have pockets of teams in the Central/South/West that you don't have in the NHL.

http://www.nba.com/standings/team_record_comparison/conferenceNew_Std_Div.html

How many NBA teams are really going to be complaining about their IN-division travel the way NHL teams do?  They have three Texas teams, four California teams, etc.

Edited by NJDevs4978

It's only really a similar factor in the NBA since MLB only has fifteen or so road trips in a year (and almost half the schedule is in-division games so not as much travel), and in the NBA you have pockets of teams in the Central/South/West that you don't have in the NHL.

http://www.nba.com/standings/team_record_comparison/conferenceNew_Std_Div.html

How many NBA teams are really going to be complaining about their IN-division travel the way NHL teams do?  They have three Texas teams, four California teams, etc.

Fair enough with the NBA, but the MLB has it pretty bad.  Even the Texas teams in the MLB have a lot of ground to cover for in-division games.  Yet I rarely hear about them whining and demanding re-alignment like NHL teams.

Edited by DevsMan84

Fair enough with the NBA, but the MLB has it pretty bad.  Even the Texas teams in the MLB have a lot of ground to cover for in-division games.  Yet I rarely hear about them whining and demanding re-alignment like NHL teams.

How many teams really have travel/time zone issues in MLB besides Houston/Texas though?  Pittsburgh playing teams an hour behind them in the NL Central?  Atlanta/Florida have some traveling with the NY/Philly/Washington part of the division but at least they're in the same time zone.  Other than that, there aren't really a lot of teams that stick out like a sore thumb.  Tampa Bay, same deal...they have more travel than the other teams in the AL East but at least all their games are at 7:30.  

The time zone factor in the NHL seems to be the bigger deal than actual distance traveled.

How many teams really have travel/time zone issues in MLB besides Houston/Texas though?  Pittsburgh playing teams an hour behind them in the NL Central?  Atlanta/Florida have some traveling with the NY/Philly/Washington part of the division but at least they're in the same time zone.  Other than that, there aren't really a lot of teams that stick out like a sore thumb.  Tampa Bay, same deal...they have more travel than the other teams in the AL East but at least all their games are at 7:30.  

The time zone factor in the NHL seems to be the bigger deal than actual distance traveled.

Time zone issues can be *mostly* resolved under the current format.   It would take going back to the experimental system where you played a thousand games against your own division, and limited games against the other conference, but really this format isn't going to be much different when it comes to that.

So are wild cards in each division? This is so stupid.

Not in each division....the wild cards are conference-wide.

There are now 4 divisions: two in the West, and two in the East.

The two West divisions have 7 teams each. The top three teams in each division will make the playoffs, so that's the first 6 playoff spots. The remaining 2 playoff spots will be the "wild card" spots, and the 8 teams who aren't in the top 3 in their divisions will battle for them. So, 6 teams will miss the playoffs in the West.

The two East divisions have 8 teams each. The top three in each division make it, and the remaining 10 teams will fight for the last two wild card spots...meaning 8 teams will miss the playoffs in the East.

Not fair to the teams in the East, I don't like it.

I can't believe this hasn't been discussed a lot already. Columbus? What the hell, why do we get Columbus dumped on us? I mean maybe it will yield a few wins a year, but can anyone really get excited over seeing the Blue Jackets more than we have to?