Lots to mull for Devils’ legend Brodeur - Brooks NY Post

msweet

Are you kidding?  Now the Yankees know that they need an everyday shortstop in 2015.  They knew that anyway because Jeter is about finished, but instead of having to possibly move Jeter to another position (and his bat is really not suitable for any others), or having to go through the painful process of having to have him be a utility/bench player (what Brodeur is going through now, and he is not handling it well), they can plan accordingly.

If Brodeur had said he was done after this year, this would be less of an issue.  As I said upthread, I think Brodeur's biggest problem with sitting is that he thinks he will not be able to get a starting job next season.  He obviously wouldn't be happy with sitting had he said he was retiring, but I think he'd be okay with it.

Marty got a two year deal after finishing up the season very strong.  When it was clear that he was basically finished, Lou got Schneider.  If you're blaming last year's results on Marty, then, intentionally or not, it's the reason that the Devils had the asset to get Schneider in the first place.  So I don't know how anyone can say that Marty has somehow prevented the Devils from planning for the future, if that's what you're getting at. 

Yeah, it would have been nice if the Devils started the season with Schneider as the clear number 1, but sh!t happens sometimes. 

ADDENDUM:  I'll also add that there's also the rumor that Lou held on to the pick in 2012 in the hopes of getting Vasilevsky or Subban.  So again it cuts against the theory that Marty has hamstrung the Devil's plans for the future.  If anything, you can say that the bigger mistake was signing Hedberg to an extension.  They might have gotten one of those backups that ends up becoming a good starter (as you've suggested in the past), which might have allowed Lou to hang on to the pick last year. 

Edited by Daniel

I really hate how Zach led us on the entire season like he was gonna re-sign though.  If he would have went the Rafalski route and not say a word, I would have been fine with him leaving.

I don't think he led anyone on. Part of him definitely wanted to stay, and it even came down to Minnesota and New Jersey for him even though Jersey couldn't match the signing bonus. In the end, he made a life and career decision.

I don't think he led anyone on. Part of him definitely wanted to stay, and it even came down to Minnesota and New Jersey for him even though Jersey couldn't match the signing bonus. In the end, he made a life and career decision.

If he hadn't been talking to Suter during the playoffs, I'd be fine with him. I'm just mad our captain was thinking about free agency (and talking to a guy on a different team) while his team was playing for the Cup. Don't think it mattered, just left a bad taste in my mouth, which I'm still not over.

If he hadn't been talking to Suter during the playoffs, I'd be fine with him. I'm just mad our captain was thinking about free agency (and talking to a guy on a different team) while his team was playing for the Cup. Don't think it mattered, just left a bad taste in my mouth, which I'm still not over.

We are still going to make up reasons to be mad at Zach? Find me any proof that said he talked to Suter about free agency during the playoffs?

If you still aren't over something from 20 months ago, I think you should have it on good authority that that is what happened.

We are still going to make up reasons to be mad at Zach? Find me any proof that said he talked to Suter about free agency during the playoffs?

If you still aren't over something from 20 months ago, I think you should have it on good authority that that is what happened.

The only thing I ever saw Zach say about it was that he and Suter had talked to each other "throughout the year" about how cool it would be to play together. There's really no proof that it was during the playoffs at all. I think a lot of people assumed it was, but I think Zach and Suter were both professional enough to know Zach had more to worry about when his team was in the middle of a playoff run.

I always feel like those announcements mean the guy just wants to travel around having his ass kissed like Rivera did last year. Just announce you are retiring when you are done. It doesn't make anything easier, even if Marty announced it (and we don't actually know if that is even his intention), you know he would have still wanted to play every day and it really wouldn't be any different than it is now.

this is so true. If he knows he's going to retire at seasons end just quietly let the gm know so he can plan for the future, otherwise by making it public he just seems to be asking for a retirement party everywhere he goes. Why not announce your retirement 2 or 3 seasons in advance?

It's so silly.

They might have gotten one of those backups that ends up becoming a good starter (as you've suggested in the past), which might have allowed Lou to hang on to the pick last year. 

I still say they should have signed Anton Khudobin as a backup and forced Marty into retirement. Carolina's now proving me right on that one.

this is so true. If he knows he's going to retire at seasons end just quietly let the gm know so he can plan for the future, otherwise by making it public he just seems to be asking for a retirement party everywhere he goes. Why not announce your retirement 2 or 3 seasons in advance?

It's so silly.

Instead of asking 100 questions about whether or not this is his last year wherever he goes, now everyone knows and can stop asking him.

Khudobin wouldn't have forced Marty into anything, he didn't have enough stature to get anything other than backup minutes and we would have had Marty playing 40-45 games instead of the 25 he's gotten.  It took sixty games for them to make the switch from Marty to Cory, when Cory was a lot more proven.

I've always like Khudobin too, he's done well everywhere he's been...but you weren't going to force Marty into retirement with a guy that'd started less than 20 NHL games coming into the year.

Oh I guess you meant acquire Cory AND Khudobin...there's no way they would have pushed Marty out in a hostile takeover like that after thirty meh and injury-marred games in a short season anyway.  It's one thing to push Marty onto the bench with a guy like Cory, it's another to force him off the team with a guy with limited experience, that wouldn't have gone over very well at all.  They threw a brushback pitch as it was by getting Cory and forcing out Hedberg (his buddy).

Edited by NJDevs4978

Instead of asking 100 questions about whether or not this is his last year wherever he goes, now everyone knows and can stop asking him.

Exactly, but if he wants a retirement party...let him have one. Did the Yankees quietly ask each team that played Rivera to have a small ceremony during the last series he plays that team? I doubt it. It came organically, and it was pretty cool.

If Jeter wants the biggest send off in sports history, then so be it...if his opponents are obliging.

There is something nice about knowing when it is going to end as a fan, a team, a broadcast. Those moments can be pretty neat. I'm glad Wayne announced his retirement with one game left so he could have that send off against the Penguins. It was a great sports moment for his final game in Canada earlier that week too. If he announced it before the year, that be fine too. I would have loved to have seen a celebration of Gretzky that entire last year.

The reason so many athletes don't announce it will be their final season before the year is because so few are able to retire on their own terms and the ones that do, don't realize it is time to hang them up until that season, where they are hurting or no longer have the motivation to stay in peak shape necessary to play at the top level.

Edited by devilsrule33

giroux had more points played some 12 less games

zach is a choker period.

he was non existent in the 1st and 2nd round as well

edit, just saying he was the best player for debo's system. so more than points.

Edited by lazer

hey I have no problem with jeter announcing it now, he's a legend and he can do what he wants, he's earned it. But let's at least call it for what it is- publicity. In fact if I had to guess, the Yankees brass wanted him to announce it now for $$$ reasons.

Put it this way- there were people criticizing Michael Sam for coming out, wondering what he had to gain by doing it other than publicity (which is absolutely ridiculous). This is 100% publicity.

hey I have no problem with jeter announcing it now, he's a legend and he can do what he wants, he's earned it. But let's at least call it for what it is- publicity. In fact if I had to guess, the Yankees brass wanted him to announce it now for $$$ reasons.

Put it this way- there were people criticizing Michael Sam for coming out, wondering what he had to gain by doing it other than publicity (which is absolutely ridiculous). This is 100% publicity.

It's not 100% publicity.  How can the Yankees tell Jeter he's retiring?  It's up to him to retire.  I'm sure they're not disappointed with this result, but it also benefits Jeter so he doesn't have to deal with the endless questions.  How often do we see Brodeur asked about it?  And he's in a much lower profile sport on a much lower profile team.

Are you kidding?  Now the Yankees know that they need an everyday shortstop in 2015.  They knew that anyway because Jeter is about finished, but instead of having to possibly move Jeter to another position (and his bat is really not suitable for any others), or having to go through the painful process of having to have him be a utility/bench player (what Brodeur is going through now, and he is not handling it well), they can plan accordingly

How does announcing it to the public help the Yankees do that? He could have told the team without making a grand announcement and doing a goodbye tour.