Lots to mull for Devils’ legend Brodeur - Brooks NY Post

msweet

so than this is nothing like brodeurs situation than.

No sh!t, the reason Jeter came up in the first place was that DD56 basically said he wished Marty had gone down a similar road this year.  Only problem with that is that I think Brodeur never really thought he might be done beyond this season and was planning to play (either as a Devil or somewhere else), so it's kind of a moot point. 

No sh!t, the reason Jeter came up in the first place was that DD56 basically said he wished Marty had gone down a similar road this year.  Only problem with that is that I think Brodeur never really thought he might be done beyond this season and was planning to play (either as a Devil or somewhere else), so it's kind of a moot point. 

when lou gave up a top ten pick to get schneider; brodeur should have expected nothing beyond playing better than schneider.

yaaaawn

when lou gave up a top ten pick to get schneider; brodeur should have expected nothing beyond playing better than schneider.

yaaaawn

Read the entire post.  Apparently you missed the "as a Devil or somewhere else" part.  He should definitely not expect a contract offer from Lou, and his Devil career should end either at the deadline or the end of this season, but if someone else steps up and thinks he could help them (don't know why that would happen), then so be it.  As for this season, did you think Brodeur was just going to get shoved aside for Schneider right from the get-go?  Of course he wasn't, and like I've said in other posts, he had a stretch of .934 save% play where he went 7-3-0 (only allowing 5 goals in the three losses), and Schneider had five shaky games in a row (preceding the near-unconscious streak he's on now) that complicated things, and delayed the inevitable transition. 

What's your point anyway?  That he's not allowed to talk to his GM about his future, brief though it may be?  That he's not allowed to answer questions put forth to him by reporters? 

I'd consider him an underdog to make it to 700 because he's not going to get many more this year - let's say he wins 3 more games this year. That gives him 685. He has to win 15 games next year - he's always an injury risk and any team bad enough to give him consistent starts isn't going to be good enough to get him the 3 goals a game he will need to win games, and he'll need to avoid being an embarrassment (he could easily start out something like 2-8-2 with an .890 SV%). I'd consider him an underdog to get to 700 next year unless he wins 6 or 7 this year.

If we come out of the break and pretty much lose out of the gate, putting ourselves way out of playoff contention, PDB will give Marty a decent # of games down the stretch. That is, if he's still around.

I don't know if Marty wins more than 3 more for the remainder of this season. He wins about half the games he plays.. so I think 3 more victories is a safe bet provided he play 6-7 more games.

Like tri said.. 15 more wins next season? He'd have to play 30 games. Good luck with that.

For Brodeur to get 700.. 2016 is the target year.

What sucks is, if it wasn't for the multiple lockouts, Marty gets to 700 easy. I don't think he's compiling; I think he loves playing and still thinks he's better than he is, but he fvcking earned that milestone.

Since none of us have never been inside an NHL locker room, I think it's pointless to suggest that we know at all how the "locker room" feels about this or that.  But I'll venture a guess that the other veterans would prefer to win rather than get to hang out with their buddies while they're at the rink.   

And the other veterans will also learn that no matter what you give to the team, it will throw you in the garbage the second things aren't working out.  There aren't many players who are going to want to play in that sort of situation. 

What sucks is, if it wasn't for the multiple lockouts, Marty gets to 700 easy. I don't think he's compiling; I think he loves playing and still thinks he's better than he is, but he fvcking earned that milestone.

Who can say that for sure?  Maybe the lockouts have helped prolong his career - he took a full year off in 2005 and came back (after struggles early) as one of the best goaltenders in the game.

And the other veterans will also learn that no matter what you give to the team, it will throw you in the garbage the second things aren't working out.  There aren't many players who are going to want to play in that sort of situation. 

I don't consider this to be "the second things aren't working out" when it's been pretty apparent that things were heading in this direction for quite a while now.

Did he have a hot run during the playoffs in the cup run? Yes, but he was running extremely hot and cold that year in general and there were points during that very season where we as fans were more comfortable with Hedberg in net than Marty. No one that off-season wanted Lou to give Marty a two year contract except Marty. It's why he went looking for other teams to essentially shame Lou into it.

The season before that was an unmitigated disaster partially because of Johnny Mac seeming to have no defensive strategy, but at the same time Marty was by no means playing the Curtis Joseph on the Maple Leafs role and he was getting clearly frustrated with what he saw as a lack of support, but would honestly probably not have been very different than what he would find himself playing behind the Oilers or Islanders if he succeeds in getting traded to a team like that. He was pretty horrible that first half and didn't start "playing well" until Jacques brought in a defensive system that we shall not refer to by name.

My point is that the handwriting was on the wall and was getting clearer with each passing season and last season was the cap off to all of that. The only one who refused to see it was Marty and Lou was dragged along for it.

I agree the trade market, in terms of the logic of reasonable fit, is pretty dry on Martin Brodeur 2014. 

However - and forgive me if it's been mentioned somewhere in this lengthy thread - the only non logical trade option that might exist would be the Montreal Canadiens.  You have to know that they'd love to see Marty in a Habs jersey, if even for 1 game, and who knows, maybe Brodeur would like that too.  It'd be the only team (on a personal note) that wouldn't make me feel sick to see Marty traded to.  All that said, clearly it wouldn't be for a #1 role, and their current backup Budaj has put up very good numbers this year.  So really, it'd be a marketing/sentimental trade.  How much Montreal would value the presence of their national icon in terms of compensation... maybe they'd throw a round 3 pick our way.  Still, begs the question of whether or not it's worth doing for the Devils, unless of course Marty outright requests it, and then it's not so much about the return as it is about the spectacle of the event.

At any rate, probably unlikely, but thought I'd throw it out there as a potentiality not based in typical logic of profits.

I don't consider this to be "the second things aren't working out" when it's been pretty apparent that things were heading in this direction for quite a while now.

Did he have a hot run during the playoffs in the cup run? Yes, but he was running extremely hot and cold that year in general and there were points during that very season where we as fans were more comfortable with Hedberg in net than Marty. No one that off-season wanted Lou to give Marty a two year contract except Marty. It's why he went looking for other teams to essentially shame Lou into it.

The season before that was an unmitigated disaster partially because of Johnny Mac seeming to have no defensive strategy, but at the same time Marty was by no means playing the Curtis Joseph on the Maple Leafs role and he was getting clearly frustrated with what he saw as a lack of support, but would honestly probably not have been very different than what he would find himself playing behind the Oilers or Islanders if he succeeds in getting traded to a team like that. He was pretty horrible that first half and didn't start "playing well" until Jacques brought in a defensive system that we shall not refer to by name.

My point is that the handwriting was on the wall and was getting clearer with each passing season and last season was the cap off to all of that. The only one who refused to see it was Marty and Lou was dragged along for it.

2010-11 and 2011-12 were very similar.  Poor first halves overall followed by mostly terrific second halves.  It wasn't so much that he was hot and cold throughout...it was more like he was two different goalies each of those seasons.  If 2011-12 had gone the other way (hot first half, lousy second half), he probably doesn't get a two-year deal, and may very well have called it quits after that year.  Hard to say. 

But it all goes back to the same thing...the Devils came within two victories of a Stanley Cup.  Marty was very good during the playoffs, including the Finals.  He had been very good for 50 games.  Can you really blame Lou or Marty for thinking there was still something left?  Can you blame Lou for not wanting to let Marty just walk after he'd played some terrific hockey?  Can you blame Marty for using that 50-game burst, where he clearly was helping his team, to try to get just a little more out of the Devils when he knew there was a good chance it could be his very last contract?  50 games of overall very good play is a full season's worth for a lot of goalies...it's not a teeny sample size.  And Marty always signed fair deals throughout his career with a minimum of fuss (except for the one after his first Cup, which was what led Lou to tell Marty he would no longer deal with Marty's agent, Gilles Lupien).   

Anyway, what was the alternative?  Lou wasn't going to say "Thanks but no thanks" to Marty, and the much of the fanbase would've blasted him if he had.  Both he and the organization would've come off as cold and very unappreciative (not to mention there wasn't any real Plan B in place for 2013).  Lou probably wasn't tickled about a two-year deal either, but the lockout and the potential for another missed season clearly complicated things. 

It's easy to say the "writing was on the wall" in hindsight, now that Marty's clearly not a good puck-stopper anymore, but when you factor in EVERYTHING that had just happened as the 2012 playoff run came to a close, can you possibly say that the Devils should just told Marty "Adios, thanks for everything, good luck playing for another team?"