102 replies to this topic

#41 crashline

crashline

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

I can't imagine how long it's going to take to rebuild the Jersey Shore. Who is even going to want to rebuild their home along the shore after an event like this? I'm afraid this wasn't a fluke. More natural disasters are occuring due to global warming. The Jersey Shore will never be the same.
Posted Image

#42 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

Nah, people will go back to the Jersey Shore for a lot of the same reasons that people will go back to watching hockey despite the lockout. There will be more rental properties and less homes, but people will go back when it's safe and ready. I'm sure it will be a big thing this summer, too, like the grand re-opening and some Jersey Strong stuff. Memorial Day Weekend 2013, if they can turn it around that quickly in attraction sites like Seaside Heights and Atlantic City, will be some of the biggest parties we've seen yet.

As to power co's, I don't begrudge anyone's frustration for having no power, and a board like this is a pretty good way to vent frustration with one's situation (while slacking off at work of course. :)) But some people don't have respect, and it's easy to tell A from B. I hope none of us cross that line.
VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#43 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:07 PM

I can't imagine how long it's going to take to rebuild the Jersey Shore. Who is even going to want to rebuild their home along the shore after an event like this? I'm afraid this wasn't a fluke. More natural disasters are occuring due to global warming. The Jersey Shore will never be the same.

For fear of making this thing political, this doesn't have anything to do with global warming. The area has had more powerful storms in the past. Just now we have more people with more money, i.e. more people with more stuff in the path of the storm.

Anyway, I think people will still build on the shore. Insurance premiums will probably go up, but those costs will be passed on to the local consumers. Even with that, it's still cheaper than a trip to the Hamptons, Myrtle Beach or wherever.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#44 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:48 PM

I am curious to see what gets rebuilt in time for Summer 13....

Lots of places look completely gone

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#45 eaglejelly

eaglejelly

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,193 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

Maybe people should read the 3 little pigs and reconsider the way they build their houses

#46 crashline

crashline

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

For fear of making this thing political, this doesn't have anything to do with global warming. The area has had more powerful storms in the past. Just now we have more people with more money, i.e. more people with more stuff in the path of the storm.

Anyway, I think people will still build on the shore. Insurance premiums will probably go up, but those costs will be passed on to the local consumers. Even with that, it's still cheaper than a trip to the Hamptons, Myrtle Beach or wherever.

I'm not saying this storm was a direct result of global warming, I'm simply suggesting that storms like these are going to happen more frequently as the climate gets warmer. As the ocean temperature rises, it provides more energy for storms. I'll leave it at that before this turns into a global warming topic.

I have no doubt that we will rebuild along the shore, and those that have money will have no problem risking it. But a lot of these shore houses like those in Belmar have been handed down through family generations. Hopefully those who lost their homes have good insurance coverage or it is going to be very tough to start all over.
Posted Image

#47 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,317 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

I live in Cleveland and have not had power since Sunday night. Power company said 300k+ were affected, and they've restored about half that in four days. Luckily no property damage out here. My parents live near Lavalette on the bay side and have not been able to go back, but my mom is cautiously optimistic after our next door neighbor sent pictures of his house. Seeing those pictures and videos of Seaside, Ortley, Ocean Beach, and Mantaloking makes me heartbroken. I almost cold cocked a guy who made a Jersey Shore/Snooki joke yesterday. Not original, and not at all funny when you don't know whether your parents' house is still standing.
Posted Image

#48 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,034 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

In Jackson, still no power lost it around 4 pm on Monday. Jcpl has barely touched the area.

Trees down all over. The gas lines are crazy. Heading to moms house tonight, house already at 50 degrees. Hope everyone on here made it.

Had minimal damage on house so I can't whine at all. I am sure when I see the tv tonight I will be saddened.

#49 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:50 PM

Still alive. No power at home, stealing some internet and warmth from a friend's house. My town was the one where the train cars were blown onto the Turnpike and the tanker leaked hundreds of thousands of gallons of field into the water. We're not the shore but we got hit pretty bad.

Hope everyone else is doing okay. Stay strong gang.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#50 ilene908

ilene908

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:24 PM

little part of bridgewater nj just got back power. we have a lot of tree to clean up one that too close to the house :(

#51 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,618 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:48 PM

Two years in a row, massive hurricanes pound the Northeast, an area that rarely gets hurricanes, let alone at full force. Taken by itself, sure, it seems like a coincidence. However, it's just one example of the wacky weather we've been getting the last few years. It very well could be evidence of global warming.

And I don't want to start an argument either -- which is why I'm dropping it after this -- but global warming is only political to those who want it to be political. And that applies to both sides of the aisle.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#52 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:17 PM

Two years in a row, massive hurricanes pound the Northeast, an area that rarely gets hurricanes, let alone at full force. Taken by itself, sure, it seems like a coincidence. However, it's just one example of the wacky weather we've been getting the last few years. It very well could be evidence of global warming.

While I believe in global warming/climate change, 2 instances isn't evidence. It's variance - it's just that global warming makes it somewhat more likely that tropical storms can stay strong later into the season and farther north. But lots of storms have come close-ish to this area but been either blown out to sea or less intense than expected.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#53 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:10 PM

Global warming had nothing to do with this circumstance, its wasnt that or HAARP or any of that nonsense...it was only a category one storm folks. It was so devastating due to our development on the barrier islands and it was the perfect weather setup for this storm. The Jet Stream was in a reversed trough over the country and it actually got underneath Sandy and helped drive it in towards the coast and ultimately turned it inland at a westerly motion which was never seen before in the Northeast. The reason why this storm was so devastating was the track of the storm, it came from the east which gave us a direct angle from the surge which we rarely see and this had nothing to do with global warming. This was only a category one storm with winds packing 80mph. We always see cat 1 storms in the Atlantic even late in the season. Yes maybe global warming is increasing the frequency of storms in the Atlantic but this was the perfect setup which we will never see again. I have been studying meteorology for the past six years and I have never seen anything like this setup before. Everything had to be in place for this hurricane to get swept towards the west while transitioning from a warm water breathing hurricane into a cold air and cold water breathing nor'easter. It was amazing to watch and study but the devastation is just terrible. Weather is one of my passions in life ever since I was a kid but it hurts me every time when something like this happens.

Another aspect of this storm was this was the first real storm the state has faced since we developed on these barrier islands. The Ash Wednesday Storm of 1962 brought a massive surge onto these barrier islands but the damage was minimal compared to Sandy due to the lack of development. The islands did their job and protected the mainland but the devastation was sadly expected. It was only a matter of time but hopefully we will rebuild and come back stronger than ever. I recently did a report on the seawall from Sea Girt up to Sandy Hook. My report included a plan to extend the wall all the way down to Cape May. Obviously money and environment problems (longshore drift issues) would up-rise with this idea but it proved valuable for areas from Sea Girt to Sandy Hook. Although they were hit hard and the wall had many breaches it did hold back a lot of water and they did not get devastated like Seaside, Lavalette, or Belmar.

Edited by Zubie#8, 01 November 2012 - 11:43 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#54 sirbutlust

sirbutlust

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:27 PM

got power back here in bloomingdale, hope all you guys are safe. im more of a lurker on this site but love the valuble info you guys give me on the team. The sucky part of getting power back is a few of my neighbors dont have power still. Makes me feel guilty but then i heard a story from a co worker how their son has the same thing , but is the one without power and his neighbor is putting up christams lights while he sits in his cold dar k house. dont do that, that will get you killed. anyhow,i seethe posts on global warming, perhaps that is it, perhaps we just built on stuff that wasnt built, i was going to bed beofre the storm and was checking the weather and they were playing a show on this thing called H.A.A.R.P. Research it, it seems totally ridicoulous like area 51 or bigfoot but as i kept watching, they gave evidence that this HAARP project in Alaska is legite. Basically according to their patient application, they are trying to control the weather. Clintons secertary of defense ( i believe that was the title) admitted it on record. Other countries, i think it was russia, have this techonology too, it involves frying the atmosphere and casueing this. I know it sounds crazy but since we got no hockey to watch, its an interesting thing to research. My biggest fear was always that the dumbasses would control the weather, they always want it to be sunny and nice out, my garden would die with no rain. imagine if this HAARP crap is real, countries using weather to attack each other. Hopefully its not the case, that would be scary. think about it, you d o that and then if anyone catches on to it, people go "youre crazy to think that". ANyhow, not sure i buy it but that clinton guy admitting they are doing it makes you think. Fun off hockey season research. Research before you just call me crazy.

#55 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:47 AM

Glad my family did a beach house on LBI this summer, something we've been talking about for years. Don't know when the next time it'll be a real option...

#56 oofrostonoo

oofrostonoo

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:26 AM

For fear of making this thing political, this doesn't have anything to do with global warming. The area has had more powerful storms in the past.

I'm pretty sure we haven't had more powerful storms in the past. The previous record for a surge brought by a storm was 11 feet set in 1821. This one was over 13.

So by that wouldn't you say this storm was bigger than any storm ever recorded in the area...
Posted Image

#57 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:47 AM

From PSE&G

-- Our best forecast as of now is that we will have virtually all of our impacted customers restored to service within the next seven to 10 days. The majority of customers will be restored before then. There may still be isolated pockets of customers who have individual flooding or downed line issues that may take slightly longer.

This wouldn't be awful in a vacuum except that there's whispers of a snowy Nor'easter scheduled to come through sometime around Tue/Wed. Sounds like if we have no power (and therefore no heat) we're going to have to make the decision to kill the water in the house so we don't have any frozen bursting pipes. Hopefully it doesn't come to that and stays above-board.

And in other news, the gas shortage is expanding. Long Island, supposedly, is now seeing longer lines and even more inflated prices. Anyone have any tips as to finding out which gas stations are open other than Twitter?

Edited by Hi, I'm VALUE!, 02 November 2012 - 08:47 AM.

VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#58 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,504 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:03 AM

I'm pretty sure we haven't had more powerful storms in the past. The previous record for a surge brought by a storm was 11 feet set in 1821. This one was over 13.

So by that wouldn't you say this storm was bigger than any storm ever recorded in the area...

Storm surge has a lot to do with the angle the storm came in by, I believe, so I don't know if that would be the best measure of strength. A much more violent storm coming from inland wouldn't cause anywhere near the amount of surge and yet be more powerful.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#59 eaglejelly

eaglejelly

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,193 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:56 AM

Anyone have any tips as to finding out which gas stations are open other than Twitter?

http://mappler.net/gasstation/

Edited by eaglejelly, 02 November 2012 - 09:56 AM.

#60 oofrostonoo

oofrostonoo

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

New York is still half dark as of last night. Took this from Hoboken.
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users