2013-2014 Lineup/Roster Thread

devilsrule33

I don't know much about advanced statistics so I could be wrong but isn't pk time over 50 games a bit of a small sample size- if gionta averages 1:45 pk toi that's about 70 minutes over the entire season, a few goals here or there can really sway the results.

Also one of giontas benefits is he draws a ton of penalties (the most on the team last year). I'm don't necessarily disagree that josefson should be playing over gionta but I don't know if it's clear cut.

I know Pete has made some head scratching decisions in the past but with the way he's played Fayne I can't believe he'd sit him now. Fayne has been a great partner for Greene and he trusts him on the pk, which if Merrill and gelinas stick around is needed.

A few goals can sway results but even from a non statistics standpoint I don't like Gionta on the PK due to his lack of size and skating ability. Even if you want to say Josefson for Gionta is a wash on the PK, I still think Josefson makes much more of an impact 5v5 than Gionta can make. Drawing penalties is probably the only Gionta has been useful at and even so he only has a +2 penalty drawn/taken differential so far this year.

I wouldn't put anything past DeBoer when it comes to Fayne. He used him on the top pair with Tallinder for a good portion of the 2011-12 season and then toyed with him being in and out of the line up last year. The weird thing about it is that from DeBoer's actions, he didn't think Fayne was good enough to be a constant in the line up but when he did play him, he gave him tough 5v5 minutes and competition.

I wouldn't put anything past DeBoer when it comes to Fayne. He used him on the top pair with Tallinder for a good portion of the 2011-12 season and then toyed with him being in and out of the line up last year. The weird thing about it is that from DeBoer's actions, he didn't think Fayne was good enough to be a constant in the line up but when he did play him, he gave him tough 5v5 minutes and competition.

The only reasonable explanation I can think of is that in his mind he's sheltering him by pairing him with Greene? 

A few goals can sway results but even from a non statistics standpoint I don't like Gionta on the PK due to his lack of size and skating ability. Even if you want to say Josefson for Gionta is a wash on the PK, I still think Josefson makes much more of an impact 5v5 than Gionta can make. Drawing penalties is probably the only Gionta has been useful at and even so he only has a +2 penalty drawn/taken differential so far this year.

Agreed. Also, for those saying things like, "Josefson/Gionta is a wash, so it doesn't really matter" ... Gionta has reached his full potential as a hockey player. He's 30 years old, and is not likely to get any better. Josefson, on the other hand, has a lot of developing to do, so why wouldn't you start the player who is likely to get better, even if there may not be that big of a difference right now?

I don't really care whether Josefson would be that big of an upgrade over Gionta at this current moment. It just bothers me that he could have transformed into an effective player by the end of the year if he were given some NHL experience this season.

Or Loiktionov gets released from the mummy case and actually plays a couple games for a while.

Harrold off IR I'm going to assume :/ Merrill will go down next.

That'll likely be the corresponding move when Harrold comes off IR.

who said that he didnt belong on this team?

The Devils when they publicly 'sent' Gelly down lol

If that's the corresponding move they could've just announced both things simultaneously, though they could move Harrold through waivers without having to move anything else and then have Boucher back up for Friday's game.

Would Boucher being sent down have something to do with his eligibility to play in the AHL during the olympic break? I would imagine that was part of the reason. I still doubt any kind of outside help is on the way.

Or Loiktionov gets released from the mummy case and actually plays a couple games for a while.

That'll likely be the corresponding move when Harrold comes off IR.

The Devils when they publicly 'sent' Gelly down lol

but they never really sent him down...they did that to do something i forget what it was but he never even physically went to albany